Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

over to you AFL.... NT joins Tasmania to want a truely national competition.

Time to kill the suburban “traditions” and mature as an organisation and responsible members of Australian society.

At the end of the day, the AFL is a not-for-profit organisation. The social benefits in Tasmania and NT fair out weigh the “traditions” of Melbourne fat cats.

(I’ll get off my high horse now)

Controversial opinion #1: The excuses people make for Tassie not getting a team are actually fair game when talking about NT getting a side. Would rather see a team in Canberra come in as Team #20 along with Tassie in the next 10 years (Canberra Kangaroos anyone?). Any NT club coming in would be a bigger drain on AFL resources then GWS or GC have ever been.

Controversial opinion #2: The AFL should focus on NSW/QLD over anywhere else for expansion after Tassie (and Canberra) get in. FNQ, Newcastle and Illawara/Wollongong are all great places to put a side in the next 20-40 years. Footy in Queensland is blowing up and Cairns is a footy hotbed as it is so it makes sense to base a team there. Newcastle and Wollongong have big population centres that are diversifying and getting younger. Crush NRL and make footy the predominant code all over the country.

Controversial opinion #1: The excuses people make for Tassie not getting a team are actually fair game when talking about NT getting a side. Would rather see a team in Canberra come in as Team #20 along with Tassie in the next 10 years (Canberra Kangaroos anyone?). Any NT club coming in would be a bigger drain on AFL resources then GWS or GC have ever been.
NT has far more issues than Tassie.

Weather, smaller population, country-esque facilities.. be a hard sell getting big names to live there tbh.

There would be very few people who have even a passing interest in afl that I would think would have less footy knowledge that slobbo. Let him put the whole melbourne team in, its irrelevant.

If youre interested in something like this but less ******ed, Lloyds top 20 players actually looked half decent on the basis of his 20-16 start.

Controversial opinion #2: The AFL should focus on NSW/QLD over anywhere else for expansion after Tassie (and Canberra) get in. FNQ, Newcastle and Illawara/Wollongong are all great places to put a side in the next 20-40 years. Footy in Queensland is blowing up and Cairns is a footy hotbed as it is so it makes sense to base a team there. Newcastle and Wollongong have big population centres that are diversifying and getting younger. Crush NRL and make footy the predominant code all over the country.

If the approach was purely from a monetary perspectives, the next market the AFL moves into would be a huge drain on resources.

But if it was conducted from a perspective of social responsibility, a team in the NT, ACT or TAS makes sense. These three locations have huge levels of AFL support.

I don’t think any of these options will happen though, not without significant government funding.

A is not controversial. NT shouldn't have a team. They just aren't big enough and logisticaly they are awful.. Tassie should and relocate North to Canberra. North serve no purpose as a Melbourne club bar providing other Melbourne teams with less travel.

Haven't GWS already laid claims to Canberra?

They play games there,but surely concentrating on the 2 million plus inhabitants of Western Sydney should be their priority. Canberra is growing, wealthy and has a footy culture, they just got jumped by the NRL and RU. I think Canberra is viable. Would be a far better breakdown of clubs, 2 extra non Vic clubs, one less Vic. 10 non Vic clubs, 9 Vic. Starting to get closer to a more balanced comp.

They play games there,but surely concentrating on the 2 million plus inhabitants of Western Sydney should be their priority. Canberra is growing, wealthy and has a footy culture, they just got jumped by the NRL and RU. I think Canberra is viable. Would be a far better breakdown of clubs, 2 extra non Vic clubs, one less Vic. 10 non Vic clubs, 9 Vic. Starting to get closer to a more balanced comp.

The AFL won't jeopardise their significant financial investment in the Giants by taking Canberra from them.

Just won't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been reading 'The League' it's about the rise of the NFL.
What is striking and anathema to footy is the way the individual clubs and owners have, from the beginning, worked together knowing that the whole is greater than the parts.
Something a Collingwood or the Melbourne establishment just don't understand.

A big part of it was that none of the original owners came from 'money'.

I've been reading 'The League' it's about the rise of the NFL.
What is striking and anathema to footy is the way the individual clubs and owners have, from the beginning, worked together knowing that the whole is greater than the parts.
Something a Collingwood or the Melbourne establishment just don't understand.

A big part of it was that none of the original owners came from 'money'.

Eddie McGuire didn't come from money but by **** he likes hanging out with blokes that smell of it.

Eddie McGuire didn't come from money but by fu** he likes hanging out with blokes that smell of it.
Oh yes, he tries harder to be one of those campaigners because he isn't one. Eddie Parvenu.

In the pre-COVID days, GWS crowds at Manuka averaged more than their various Sydney venues. They are subsidised by the ACT Government to the tune of around $900,000 a game to play here - this arrangement was due to expire this year but has been extended a year. Both parties seem keen to enter into a long term extension, with the government angling for four games a year (currently three).

Both the Raiders and the Brumbies out-draw the Giants, but their crowds very much wax and wane with their performances. The Capitals also have a loyal following (as did the Cannons when they were a thing). Canberrans may be keen sports fans, but far more so when those teams are winning. I'm not sure a permanent team here would be as financially attractive as the other options.

Junior AFL is big here, there are ovals everywhere. Interestingly though their is a smattering of support for all AFL Clubs amongst the participants, there doesn't seem to be a preponderance of Giants' fans. Most seem to have retained their previous allegiances, which I guess would be an issue for a new team starting anywhere.

Not surprised at all. The majority of the team is Victorian. He wouldn't of seen a single port game all year.

All-Australians

• Port 2004 (17-5, Minor Premiers)
2 — Warren Tredrea, Chad Cornes

• Hawthorn 2005 (5-17, 14th)
3 — Trent Croad, Luke Hodge, Spida Everitt

All-Australians

• Port 2004 (17-5, Minor Premiers)
2 — Warren Tredrea, Chad Cornes

• Hawthorn 2005 (5-17, 14th)
3 — Trent Croad, Luke Hodge, Spida Everitt

Who else was worthy in 2004 though? Very even team. Kornes finished second in the BNF so deserved a nod.

There would be very few people who have even a passing interest in afl that I would think would have less footy knowledge that slobbo. Let him put the whole melbourne team in, its irrelevant.

If youre interested in something like this but less ******ed, Lloyds top 20 players actually looked half decent on the basis of his 20-16 start.

I'd like to retract my comments on Lordo's list on the basis of his 15-6 lol

Who else was worthy in 2004 though? Very even team. Kornes finished second in the BNF so deserved a nod.

Michael Wilson, I thought. Was absolutely excellent in defence that year, but granted he was no Adam McPhee or Matthew Lappin.

In the pre-COVID days, GWS crowds at Manuka averaged more than their various Sydney venues. They are subsidised by the ACT Government to the tune of around $900,000 a game to play here - this arrangement was due to expire this year but has been extended a year. Both parties seem keen to enter into a long term extension, with the government angling for four games a year (currently three).

Both the Raiders and the Brumbies out-draw the Giants, but their crowds very much wax and wane with their performances. The Capitals also have a loyal following (as did the Cannons when they were a thing). Canberrans may be keen sports fans, but far more so when those teams are winning. I'm not sure a permanent team here would be as financially attractive as the other options.

Junior AFL is big here, there are ovals everywhere. Interestingly though their is a smattering of support for all AFL Clubs amongst the participants, there doesn't seem to be a preponderance of Giants' fans. Most seem to have retained their previous allegiances, which I guess would be an issue for a new team starting anywhere.

I wouldn’t open my curtains if I had an apartment overlooking Manuka Oval and Port weren’t playing.

The price of attending seems too high also for a marginal AFL city, however it is a wealthy city of fat cat bureaucrats.

I wouldn’t open my curtains if I had an apartment overlooking Manuka Oval and Port weren’t playing.

The price of attending seems too high also for a marginal AFL city, however it is a wealthy city of fat cat bureaucrats.
Yep, yet we have three Labor Federal MPs and a Labor/Green Territory Govt which has been in power for 21 years. Go figure ...

Yep, yet we have three Labor Federal MPs and a Labor/Green Territory Govt which has been in power for 21 years. Go figure ...

Highly paid but most with a social conscience. One of the reasons I like the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back