Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not Wynn Vale sorry.

I was certainly around in 2005 but I don't remember that game. I'll have to dig it up somewhere and have a look.

Punch and you'll pay up, AFL tells players
THE AFL will use a loophole in its judicial system to make sure players are fined for tummy taps regardless of their impact in 2018, with the League determined to rid the game of punches.
He and football operations boss Steve Hocking are set on eliminating all punches and improving sportsmanship in the AFL as an example for younger players at grassroots level.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-01/punch-and-youll-pay-afl-tells-players
upload_2018-2-1_14-9-2.png
Cam Guthrie doubles over after a hit from Marc Murphy in 2014.
I remember Murphy punching Travis Boak in the stomach at Adelaide Oval.

AFL great Kane Cornes has whacked Carlton for announcing an eight-man leadership group ahead of season 2018, saying it’s an “overrated” ploy tainted by unqualified candidates.

Marc Murphy will captain the Blues again this year and will be supported by Sam Docherty, Patrick Cripps, Kade Simpson, Ed Curnow, Matthew Kreuzer, Alex Silvagni and Lachie Plowman.

But former Port Adelaide star Cornes ripped into the credentials of some of Carlton’s new leaders, saying the inclusion of young and injury-prone players like Docherty, Silvagni and Plowman defies all logic.

“Carlton’s 2018 leadership group includes All-Australian defender Sam Docherty, who won’t play a single game due to wrecking his knee in the pre-season, completely curtailing his ability to lead on the field,” Cornes said on SEN radio.

“Also in the group is former Fremantle defender Alex Silvagni, who has managed 21 games in the last four seasons and only seven at his new club.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ca...y/news-story/8e3ab5a616fab5eeae076f845af99af2

AFL great Kane Cornes has whacked Carlton for announcing an eight-man leadership group ahead of season 2018, saying it’s an “overrated” ploy tainted by unqualified candidates.

Marc Murphy will captain the Blues again this year and will be supported by Sam Docherty, Patrick Cripps, Kade Simpson, Ed Curnow, Matthew Kreuzer, Alex Silvagni and Lachie Plowman.

But former Port Adelaide star Cornes ripped into the credentials of some of Carlton’s new leaders, saying the inclusion of young and injury-prone players like Docherty, Silvagni and Plowman defies all logic.

“Carlton’s 2018 leadership group includes All-Australian defender Sam Docherty, who won’t play a single game due to wrecking his knee in the pre-season, completely curtailing his ability to lead on the field,” Cornes said on SEN radio.

“Also in the group is former Fremantle defender Alex Silvagni, who has managed 21 games in the last four seasons and only seven at his new club.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ca...y/news-story/8e3ab5a616fab5eeae076f845af99af2
Wow, that is a ordinary leadership group.

Eddie Jones has appointed mumbles to teach Pommie Union players how to catch and kick a ball in the lead up to the 2019 RU World Cup. I didn't hear anything about when it happened last October. This was in the Oz yesterday but for some reason today I can't seem to get past News Ltd papers' paywalls. Maybe they have tightened things up.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/2f442eb599b8c435a67e58e897d79d70
They have already poached three key Australian coaches, now the England rugby union team plan on using AFL tactics against the Wallabies. England head coach Eddie Jones, who led Australia in the 2003 World Cup, hired former Crows mentor Neil Craig last October to be his head of high performance,

The Guardian had this story the day before, very similar, as I think Craig was at the presser with Jones. He is looking to get English wingers and full backs players to improve catching the high ball just how Israel Folau improved whilst at GWS and has maintained that skill.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...against-england-irks-conor-o-shea-six-nations
England, meanwhile, have been preparing for a tilt at a third consecutive Six Nations title by developing aerial skills employed in Aussie Rules, under the guidance of their head of high performance, Neil Craig – a 62-year-old Australian and former AFL coach. Craig was appointed in October and spent last week at England’s training camp in Portugal, working with the wingers and full-backs on high-ball techniques used in AFL. Israel Folau – the Australia full-back who spent two years with the AFL side Greater Western Sydney – often employs the unusual method of catching a high ball above his head and Craig has been developing the same skill among England’s back-three players.

“One little aspect of my role is to do some work with the guys under the high ball,” said Craig, whose remit also covers the development of coaches and player leadership. “We see it all the time in AFL. It is one of the more spectacular movements that AFL is known for. Hopefully I have been able to bring some expertise from there and add some modifications in technique. Israel played some AFL and to me that is obvious with the way he goes about the high ball in rugby. His approach is something we are working towards with some of the players.”
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...against-england-irks-conor-o-shea-six-nations

Punch and you'll pay up, AFL tells players
THE AFL will use a loophole in its judicial system to make sure players are fined for tummy taps regardless of their impact in 2018, with the League determined to rid the game of punches.
He and football operations boss Steve Hocking are set on eliminating all punches and improving sportsmanship in the AFL as an example for younger players at grassroots level.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-01/punch-and-youll-pay-afl-tells-players
View attachment 455550
Cam Guthrie doubles over after a hit from Marc Murphy in 2014.
I remember Murphy punching Travis Boak in the stomach at Adelaide Oval.
I wonder how they'll justify not fining some of their favoured players now? 'It didn't reach the threshold, for not reaching the threshold. Danger / Duckwood / Buddy was just waving his hand and it clearly wasn't a punch' :rolleyes:

Not a candidate for the Shakes Head forum, because the man is entitled to an opinion. But when asked yesterday by Cornes and Blight about how he believes the 2 Adelaide teams would fare this year, Chris Judd stated that the Crows are more or less a lock for a top 4 berth, while Port will more than likely struggle (we'll apparently be more dangerous in 2019). His reasoning? You can't make 11 changes to a squad, and expect everyone to gel straight away.

I guess time will tell.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a candidate for the Shakes Head forum, because the man is entitled to an opinion. But when asked yesterday by Cornes and Blight about how he believes the 2 Adelaide teams would fare this year, Chris Judd stated that the Crows are more or less a lock for a top 4 berth, while Port will more than likely struggle (we'll apparently be more dangerous in 2019). His reasoning? You can't make 11 changes to a squad, and expect everyone to gel straight away.

To be fair, that’s a fair assesment. Our season will either be the one we hope for or what Judd said. We are obviously more optimistic.

As for the Crows, unfortunately it’s true.

To be fair, that’s a fair assesment. Our season will either be the one we hope for or what Judd said. We are obviously more optimistic.

As for the Crows, unfortunately it’s true.
I suppose the key question is, are the players we've brought in better than those who have departed, and for mine (on the whole) it's a definite yes. But yeah, it's all talk at this stage - it's all down to what actually happens on game day.

Judd also wants shorter games - about 20 minutes less: presumably to lengthen careers. Thoughts?

There may have been quite a few changes to the squad but most of those players did not play FL last year and the two departees who played the major part of the year, Impey and Trengove, were largely ineffective last year. It is true that during successful periods teams remained pretty much the same as per Hawthorn and Richmond in the VFL, Port in the SANFL and Swans, Geelong, West Coast, Brisbane, Port and Hawthorn in the AFL. Barring injuries I can't see more than three changes to our team.

I suppose the key question is, are the players we've brought in better than those who have departed, and for mine (on the whole) it's a definite yes. But yeah, it's all talk at this stage - it's all down to what actually happens on game day.

Judd also wants shorter games - about 20 minutes less: presumably to lengthen careers. Thoughts?
No on the shortened games unless they play more. The media and the players have managed to convince everyone that AFL is the toughest sport in the universe and they can only play 22 games a season. This is absolute bullshit, they all want to play finals every year for example and very few players ever accept being rotated.
Bigger squads and an even fixture added to shorter games would be ideal., but will never happen as the pill has been swallowed.

Well that's terrible reasoning.

The changes have mostly been to our depth players and we have added 3 players to our starting 18 that directly addresses our biggest on-field weakness. On the flip side, teams that get belted in the Grand Final rarely return to top 4 the next year.

To me, Carlton are in full tank mode for Lukosius or Rankine, and really arent serious about this year.

I sort of agree it will take time, but maybe they will surprise us ..and the opposition.

I sort of agree it will take time, but maybe they will surprise us ..and the opposition.
Many seem to forget that we had one of the best back 6's in 2017, and with another pre season under their belts, they'll be at least as reliable this year - if not more so. If we can get the best out of the midfield and forward line, we'll be a scary unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back