Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that will definitely happen if Rory leaves - there will be endless complaints that the free agent compo has not been enough. The cows and the media will demand the same compo that was given to Melbourne and to Geelong for Scully and Ablett although neither of those were free agent moves.

Isn’t Sloane an unrestricted free agent? Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t that entitle him to walk for nothing?

I honestly don’t think the foods that bad at AO. I reckon paying $5 for hot chips or a pie is fairly reasonable. $10.5 beers on the other hand is a different story.
The $5 chips is the only decently priced food I reckon. The beers are the killer.

Isn’t Sloane an unrestricted free agent? Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t that entitle him to walk for nothing?

The club still gets compensated by the AFL for losing a player, at least for now. Brisbane got pick 18 (end of first round) for losing Rockliff, you'd think the Crows would get something similar for Sloane.

No the club still gets compensation but they don’t have the option of matching the offer (like they do with restricted FAs).

I didn’t realise he was unrestricted though, I would’ve thought he’d definitely be in their top 25% money wise.

No the club still gets compensation but they don’t have the option of matching the offer (like they do with restricted FAs).

I didn’t realise he was unrestricted though, I would’ve thought he’d definitely be in their top 25% money wise.

The 25% is a sliding scale.

It's 10 players if the club has a full list of 40 senior players.

For Adelaide, they have 36 senior listed players - so Sloane only has to be outside of their top 9 at the time the AFL determines his status in March (I believe)...so it all depends on what his contract value was this year compared to the contracts of their other 36 players at that time.

He was another of their players that had the "free meals for life at the Adelaide football club" written in their contract.

The 25% is a sliding scale.

It's 10 players if the club has a full list of 40 senior players.

For Adelaide, they have 36 senior listed players - so Sloane only has to be outside of their top 9 at the time the AFL determines his status in March (I believe)...so it all depends on what his contract value was this year compared to the contracts of their other 36 players at that time.

Sloane will be unrestricted free agent if he is coming out of contract for the 2nd time after 10 years service not because he isn't paid enough to make the top 25%. He was drafted in 2008 so his first time out of contract was at the end of 2016 which was his 8th season.

However I believe he is a restricted free agent because he came out of contract in 2015 and in June 2015 signed a new contract for 3 years until the end of 2018.

Sloane signs new deal
June 15, 2015 10:49 AM
Rory Sloane has signed a three-year contract extension, which will see him remain a Crow until at least the end of 2018. Sloane has played 107 games since making his debut against this week’s opponent, Hawthorn, in Round 20, 2009. Originally recruited with pick No.44 in the 2008 AFL National Draft, the 25-year-old from Upwey-Tecoma has established himself as one of the premier midfielders in the League.......
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-06-15/sloane-signs-new-deal

The way I read it is that he has only come out of contract once since he achieved 8 years service so I think he goes down the left hand pathway. March 1st of his 8th year was March 1st 2016 and he was contracted then.

upload_2018-1-30_11-42-32.png

I honestly don’t think the foods that bad at AO. I reckon paying $5 for hot chips or a pie is fairly reasonable. $10.5 beers on the other hand is a different story.

the beers could be $2 coopers sparkling, i'd still rather pay the club $5 for a hahn super light in the GDV

Sloane will be unrestricted free agent if he is coming out of contract for the 2nd time after 10 years service not because he isn't paid enough to make the top 25%. He was drafted in 2008 so his first time out of contract was at the end of 2016 which was his 8th season.

However I believe he is a restricted free agent because he came out of contract in 2015 and in June 2015 signed a new contract for 3 years until the end of 2018.

Sloane signs new deal
Rory Sloane has signed a three-year contract extension, which will see him remain a Crow until at least the end of 2018. Sloane has played 107 games since making his debut against this week’s opponent, Hawthorn, in Round 20, 2009. Originally recruited with pick No.44 in the 2008 AFL National Draft, the 25-year-old from Upwey-Tecoma has established himself as one of the premier midfielders in the League.......

The way I read it is that he has only come out of contract once since he achieved 8 years service so I think he goes down the left hand pathway. March 1st of his 8th year was March 1st 2016 and he was contracted then.

View attachment 454816

Talia, Lynch, Walker, Jenkins, Betts, Gibbs, Matt Crouch, Brad Crouch, McGovern and Jacobs all signed contracts after or at the same time as Sloane.

He doesn’t qualify as a UFA under the contract length side of things. At any rate it doesn’t matter - no club is going to match an offer for a RFA.

And throughout the year he can look forward to visits from a cavalcade of Adelaide's elite twaterati.

AFC%20Ambassador%20list%202017.jpg

Nothing screams "Heaps Good" more than that list of bellends.

I love how Ryan Fitzgerald and Stephen Rowe are listed as ambassadors. They are ex players ffs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fJkA8Q4.png

That's the spirit. Have a different ambassador pester him each week. That couldn't possibly drive him away.

Sloane to Port Powa confirmed :thumbsu:;):drunk:

Second prize would be seeing him snapped up by Sydney, using dollars freed up by Tippett's retirement ;)

Talia, Lynch, Walker, Jenkins, Betts, Gibbs, Matt Crouch, Brad Crouch, McGovern and Jacobs all signed contracts after or at the same time as Sloane.

He doesn’t qualify as a UFA under the contract length side of things. At any rate it doesn’t matter - no club is going to match an offer for a RFA.
You are assuming Rory's manager didn't put in a clause saying his pay will go up by the % the CBA goes up by. I haven't heard Adelaide didn't avoid this. Anyway 11/44 = 25%. You listed 10 players and the TPP includes rookies.

fJkA8Q4.png

That's the spirit. Have a different ambassador pester him each week. That couldn't possibly drive him away.
I'm sure Rory will be convinced to stay living in #cringelaide by a guy who sold his house in Sydney to move to Melbourne last year. o_O

I don't think it would be unreasonable for Adelaide to expect band 1 compo for Sloane especially if it's a mammoth contract. If Adelaide finished 4th that would mean they get pick 15 plus the next pick as compo which is unders for Sloane. Will be interesting if they push for a trade and end up with a back end of top 10 pick and a couple of spuds again or just settle for the compo pick. I can see them angling to get a pick for one of the top SA boys in the draft.

Sloane signs new deal

View attachment 454816

I’m following your logic REH and it sounds like he should be restricted, but every article I’ve read on it states that he’s unrestricted. Is it possible that he has a front-ended deal with a skinny last year that drops him out of the top 25%?

I’m following your logic REH and it sounds like he should be restricted, but every article I’ve read on it states that he’s unrestricted. Is it possible that he has a front-ended deal with a skinny last year that drops him out of the top 25%?
2 possibilities
1. Front loaded as you suggest or
2. Has a stupid manager who forgot to, or couldn't negotiate a same % increase as CBA % increase clause in his contract negotiated in mid 2015 which covered 2016 and post new TV deal and therfore CBA years of 2017 and 2018.

I guess a 3rd reason is because of 1 or 2, so many other players have jumped over him so he's not in the top 11 contracts for 2018 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back