Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The other reason why I don't like the bye is that teams like the Dogs, who snuck into the 8 by the skin of their teeth, get an undeserved reprieve before playing their first final.

So do their opponents.

Besides, it's 'deserved' by sheer fact that they made the finals.

There's a bit of a logical fallacy with the priority picks these days that annoys me a little.

To get a priority pick you need to be pretty bad for a number of years. So by the time you get the pick, you've actually already managed to accumulate a fair bit of talent, it just hasn't been long enough for it to show yet in results terms.
And more to the point, the 'solution' of a priority pick doesn't actually address the problem. North's problem is that they're bad now, not that they'll be bad in 3-4 years' time. If they get an end of first round PP, how does that help them next year? They had an end of first round pick this year (Josh Goater), he played one game.

This is North's 3rd poor year in a row, after finishing 17th and 18th.

So over the 2 previous drafts before trades compo picks etc they would have accumulated picks
2+1, 20+19, 38+37. That's not GWS and GC like early picks

When Hawthorn had 2 poor years, the one before Clarko got there and his first year, they got pre Rd 1 priority picks so they got
2+5+21+37 in 2004 and in 2005 it was 3+6+22+38.

Lots of clubs, ie mainly Vic clubs, between 1997 and 2005 had this sort of set up with priority picks where if you got 20 premiership pts or less you automatically got a pre Rd1 priority pick.
They’ve chosen to be bad though, getting rid of senior players and sacking coaches.

No pick!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These idiots in the media and callers talking about 7v10, 8v9 etc to fill the bye week forget why the bye week was brought in - to stop clubs (Freo and NM at the time) from resting half their team in the final round once their finals position was locked up and to keep the bookies happy. If there was a wildcard weekend over the 'bye' week, the resting of multiple players could potentially happen again.
I have no issue with this idea, to be honest.

This is probably for the unpopular opinion thread, but I'm not sure I can get excited about who is the best player in the 11th placed team.

It’s not the 11th best team, it’s our team.

This is probably for the unpopular opinion thread, but I'm not sure I can get excited about who is the best player in the 11th placed team.
What I'm not excited about is listening to Koch and Hinkley giving speeches, unless they plan to use the forum to announce their resignations.

I like Dennis...

Legendary commentator Dennis Cometti has urged the AFL to maintain the current balance of free-to-air and pay TV matches in its next broadcast deal, after league boss Gillon McLachlan described the federal government’s concerns as “irrelevant”.

1661813872336.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back