Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They only moved down there in 1995.

Anecdotal microcosm, but I went to school in what should be their heartland, and only 3 classmates over the 12 years barracked for them (a further 2 went on to play for them, and 2 more who were in the years younger than me, but well into the Crows/Power era).

The rest were Glenelg fans with a smattering of Port/Sturt/WWT/Nor’d.

Missed the boat on carving out a Centralsesque ‘WE THE NORTH SOUTH’ shtick by a good 20+ years, I reckon.
What's glenelg & westies excuse for winning one each in the last 35 plus years..

could some explain to me how souf have been so terrible that they haven't won a flag for almost 60 years? in a comp with bugger all teams?

onkaparinga is the largest city council in the state... how does it happen?
South have been a powerhouse of developing juniors. South, wwt and west Adelaide doing the heavy lifting there imo.

But sanfl is a mercenary league. Most players have played for half the teams in the league before they hit 100 snaffle games.

when was the last time one of Kenny's Boys got suspended? not including Lycett's tackle which was just Lycett being an oaf.

Ladhams, eh?

I reckon we still could have done with him this year but he still seems like a bit of a loose unit.

He didn't have onfield disciplinary issues while he was here.

Maybe Big Bad Flip-the-Norwood-fans-the-bird Billy was a steadying influence on his life at Port.

Although really wouldn't have expected someone's on field discipline to fall away by moving to Sydney...

These idiots in the media and callers talking about 7v10, 8v9 etc to fill the bye week forget why the bye week was brought in - to stop clubs (Freo and NM at the time) from resting half their team in the final round once their finals position was locked up and to keep the bookies happy. If there was a wildcard weekend over the 'bye' week, the resting of multiple players could potentially happen again.

For what its worth I think a club has 40-odd players to pick from and they should be able to pick and drop whoever they want for any reason.

Get rid of the bye, it's a war of attrition farken.

He didn't have onfield disciplinary issues while he was here.

Maybe Big Bad Flip-the-Norwood-fans-the-bird Billy was a steadying influence on his life at Port.

Although really wouldn't have expected someone's on field discipline to fall away by moving to Sydney...

Maybe he's missing his stable pony Aidyn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when was the last time one of Kenny's Boys got suspended? not including Lycett's tackle which was just Lycett being an oaf.
There's a middle line between stupid hits and our players, who have been told so often not to be too aggressive, someone has to lose etc., that half of them would feel the need to write an apology to any opposition players they even thought of playing close to the line.

Ladhams did ****ing dumb shit when he played for us too. I distinctly remember frees given away in finals that were absolutely disgraceful and I exclaimed we should trade him on his stupidity alone. That shit costs games.

They only moved down there in 1995.

Anecdotal microcosm, but I went to school in what should be their heartland, and only 3 classmates over the 12 years barracked for them (a further 2 went on to play for them, and 2 more who were in the years younger than me, but well into the Crows/Power era).

The rest were Glenelg fans with a smattering of Port/Sturt/WWT/Nor’d.

Missed the boat on carving out a Centralsesque ‘WE THE NORTH SOUTH’ shtick by a good 20+ years, I reckon.
Centrals were Elizabeth based since they were set up in 1959 to enter the reserves comp for 5 seasons before joining the A grade, like Woodville. It was always their heartland area.

South were based at South Terrace, then their heartland was Goodwood sort of area, then St Marys, moved there in the early 70's, kept losing core heartland and as you said moved down to Norlunga in mid 90's.

They have never really dominated that southern area, because they weren't based there, Glenelg FC was closer, young families moved from other clubs heartland areas and took their loyalties with them when they moved down there for more affordable housing, and the crows came in before they got there, and also they don't have generational stars, because if they are any good, they go to the AFL.

These idiots in the media and callers talking about 7v10, 8v9 etc to fill the bye week forget why the bye week was brought in - to stop clubs (Freo and NM at the time) from resting half their team in the final round once their finals position was locked up and to keep the bookies happy. If there was a wildcard weekend over the 'bye' week, the resting of multiple players could potentially happen again.

For what its worth I think a club has 40-odd players to pick from and they should be able to pick and drop whoever they want for any reason.

Get rid of the bye, it's a war of attrition farken.
The other reason why I don't like the bye is that teams like the Dogs, who snuck into the 8 by the skin of their teeth, get an undeserved reprieve before playing their first final.

The other reason why I don't like the bye is that teams like the Dogs, who snuck into the 8 by the skin of their teeth, get an undeserved reprieve before playing their first final.
Definitely. It also doesn’t help the top four, whoever wins this week will have another bye which is not ideal preparation for a prelim.

If North get a priority pick West Coast should be absolutely livid.

There's a bit of a logical fallacy with the priority picks these days that annoys me a little.

To get a priority pick you need to be pretty bad for a number of years. So by the time you get the pick, you've actually already managed to accumulate a fair bit of talent, it just hasn't been long enough for it to show yet in results terms.

There's a bit of a logical fallacy with the priority picks these days that annoys me a little.

To get a priority pick you need to be pretty bad for a number of years. So by the time you get the pick, you've actually already managed to accumulate a fair bit of talent, it just hasn't been long enough for it to show yet in results terms.
This is North's 3rd poor year in a row, after finishing 17th and 18th.

So over the 2 previous drafts before trades compo picks etc they would have accumulated picks
2+1, 20+19, 38+37. That's not GWS and GC like early picks

When Hawthorn had 2 poor years, the one before Clarko got there and his first year, they got pre Rd 1 priority picks so they got
2+5+21+37 in 2004 and in 2005 it was 3+6+22+38.

Lots of clubs, ie mainly Vic clubs, between 1997 and 2005 had this sort of set up with priority picks where if you got 20 premiership pts or less you automatically got a pre Rd1 priority pick.

This is North's 3rd poor year in a row, after finishing 17th and 18th.

So over the 2 previous drafts before trades compo picks etc they would have accumulated picks
2+1, 20+19, 38+37. That's not GWS and GC like early picks

When Hawthorn had 2 poor years, the one before Clarko got there and his first year, they got pre Rd 1 priority picks so they got
2+5+21+37 in 2004 and in 2005 it was 3+6+22+38.

Lots of clubs, ie mainly Vic clubs, between 1997 and 2005 had this sort of set up with priority picks where if you got 20 premiership pts or less you automatically got a pre Rd1 priority pick.

It goes further back than that though. They haven't played finals since 2016. They finished 15th in 2017 and had pick 4 which they used on LDU who has only just come good this year. It takes time. I think there's a lot of talent in their list and certainly now with Clarko I don't think there's a need for a priority pick.

It goes further back than that though. They haven't played finals since 2016. They finished 15th in 2017 and had pick 4 which they used on LDU who has only just come good this year. It takes time. I think there's a lot of talent in their list and certainly now with Clarko I don't think there's a need for a priority pick.
Fair enough, I didn't realise you meant over 5 drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back