Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop whining; it's totally cringe. Winning by 122 points is a significant achievement in modern football, regardless of opposition. As a reference, we won the equivalent fixture by 40 points. Based on some of the comments here, we should've folded after that.

Not really...

In almost every game this year the Eagles have allowed an opposing player, or team, to re-write the history books. Here's proof:

ROUND 1: Harry Sheezel sets the record for most disposals (34) on AFL debut, since statistics have been recorded.
ROUND 3: Caleb Serong records career-highs in disposals (35) and inside 50s (12).
ROUND 5: Cats score 136 points, the club's highest score of the year.
ROUND 7: Charlie Curnow kicks a career-high nine goals, Blues record highest score since 2012.
ROUND 8: Shai Bolton has the second 30-disposal, three-goal game of his career. Both games were against the Eagles.
ROUND 9: Suns record its biggest away win (70 points) in club history.
ROUND 10: Hawks record biggest win (116 points) since 2015, as Eagles held to lowest score (26) since 1992.
ROUND 13: Taylor Walker kicks a career-high 10 goals, Crows record biggest win since 2016.

1686713556796.png

Not really...

In almost every game this year the Eagles have allowed an opposing player, or team, to re-write the history books. Here's proof:

ROUND 1: Harry Sheezel sets the record for most disposals (34) on AFL debut, since statistics have been recorded.
ROUND 3: Caleb Serong records career-highs in disposals (35) and inside 50s (12).
ROUND 7: Charlie Curnow kicks a career-high nine goals, Blues record highest score since 2012.
ROUND 8: Shai Bolton has the second 30-disposal, three-goal game of his career. Both games were against the Eagles.
ROUND 10: Hawks record biggest win (116 points) since 2015, as Eagles held to lowest score (26) since 1992.
ROUND 13: Taylor Walker kicks a career-high 10 goals, Crows record biggest win since 2016.

View attachment 1712423
And yet, we only managed to beat them by 40 points.

Rest assured,I am not whining. I just dislike them so much that I will not give them any credit. They get enough smoke blown up their clackers without Port supporters joining in.
OK. My approach in these instances is to ignore it. You know, if you got nothing smart to say...

Not really...

View attachment 1712423
Bloody shame we don’t get to play them twice. Talk about kissed on the you know what.

He didn’t need to rotate him like he did. Have you seen the vid from the other angle? The player going over top didn’t effect anything.

They just need to tackle and drop their weight, didn’t Wanganeen do that well?

Sicily gets shoved by a Lions player as he dives for the tackle, causing his momentum to move around to the side and causing the rotation. Regardless, the player going over the top absolutely impacts the fall. Instead of rolling naturally with the tackle, McCluggage is slowed, allowing Sicily to rotate ahead of him which adds to the force that he hits the ground.

Sicily has ultimately made a desperate diving tackle, which through the physical influence of other players in the contest has caused a player to hit the ground harder than normal. At no point did he have enough leverage to do a slam tackle even if he wanted to.

If Sicily isn't pushed by the Brisbane player there is no or much less rotation. If the Hawthorn player doesn't come across McCluggage rolls naturally with the tackle and falls normally. There is nothing about Sicily's action that needs to be stamped out of the game through punishment

Sicily gets shoved by a Lions player as he dives for the tackle, causing his momentum to move around to the side and causing the rotation. Regardless, the player going over the top absolutely impacts the fall. Instead of rolling naturally with the tackle, McCluggage is slowed, allowing Sicily to rotate ahead of him which adds to the force that he hits the ground.

Sicily has ultimately made a desperate diving tackle, which through the physical influence of other players in the contest has caused a player to hit the ground harder than normal. At no point did he have enough leverage to do a slam tackle even if he wanted to.

If Sicily isn't pushed by the Brisbane player there is no or much less rotation. If the Hawthorn player doesn't come across McCluggage rolls naturally with the tackle and falls normally. There is nothing about Sicily's action that needs to be stamped out of the game through punishment

It's a hard one, and I get what your saying after looking at these other views but it's the turning motion that Scicily does which is probably the bit that gets him in trouble which isn't really done by the push, that doesn't seem to effect too much, but there is a definite turn of the body which causes the rotation which is somewhat what they are trying to eliminate. The second vid I hadn't seen before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An internal SA Police investigation is underway to establish whether Assistant Commissioner Linda Fellows had a conflict of interest when SA Police decided last year not to oppose Adelaide Oval’s bid to sell liquor in aluminium cans.

Fellows has been on the Adelaide Football Club’s board since 2015 and was elected deputy chair in March 2021.

As Assistant Commissioner, Operations Support Service, she has oversight of SA Police’s Licensing Enforcement Branch (LEB), which in July 2022 supported a Stadium Management Authority (SMA) application to vary its liquor license so it could sell alcohol in cans.

Police had initially opposed the application on public safety grounds but reversed its position after the SMA agreed to a series of conditions, including that the change would be a 12-month trial and there would be public stadium announcements warning against throwing cans.

I think it's just asking for (real or perceived) conflict of interest troubles to have a serving Assistant Police Commissioner on the board of one of the professional AFL teams.

But, as an aside, has anyone heard of a single incident of cans being thrown at Adelaide Oval this year? I haven't.

Last edited:
An internal SA Police investigation is underway to establish whether Assistant Commissioner Linda Fellows had a conflict of interest when SA Police decided last year not to oppose Adelaide Oval’s bid to sell liquor in aluminium cans.

Fellows has been on the Adelaide Football Club’s board since 2015 and was elected deputy chair in March 2021.

As Assistant Commissioner, Operations Support Service, she has oversight of SA Police’s Licensing Enforcement Branch (LEB), which in July 2022 supported a Stadium Management Authority (SMA) application to vary its liquor license so it could sell alcohol in cans.

Police had initially opposed the application on public safety grounds but reversed its position after the SMA agreed to a series of conditions, including that the change would be a 12-month trial and there would be public stadium announcements warning against throwing cans.

I think it's just asking for (real or perceived) conflict of interest troubles to have a serving Assistant Police Commissioner on the board of one of the professional AFL teams.

But, as an aside, has anyone heard of a single incident of cans being thrown at Adelaide Oval this year? I haven't.
I dont know if it is a conflict or not. But this does sound like a witch hunt.

It’s not like anyone can afford the beers that come in cans anyway.

The GIANTS/DWARVES rebrand doesn't quite have the same potential as the SUNS/MOONS does.

if a team came out and called themselves the dwarves i would have to support them

OIP.fcyiDvmTw_6_pc2ifIbzjQHaFs

Porple-achee-ha for Andy Porplycia was another of Richards obviously deliberate c*ck ups when pronouncing SA player's names, which were often followed up with his extremely patronising `don't they have funny names over there?'

As you suggest he was an `annoying turd!'
Considering his maternal Grandfather's surname was Pannamopoulos, making fun of people's names was an odd act.

Not really...

View attachment 1712423

yeah, but there was about 7 of them in the same game.

crows biggest win, tayla kicks 10, highest score of the season, biggest win of the season, etc etc.

it's stupid and embarrassing to take shots at it, it literally couldn't have gone any better.

if you want to take shots, take shots at the fact they hyped themselves up to pump a basket case, instead of trying to beat the bulldogs or gold coast, which would have way more relevance to the season.

Not really...

View attachment 1712423

Yep. Clearly the relative quality of the opposition does matter when setting records like that.

On that just heard on Fox that West Coast are expecting as many as 10 of their players back on their return from the bye. Not sure whose those 10 are but it's likely to include Hurn, Barrass, Hewett and McGovern as well as Waterman back from illness. All handy ins.

I would think that helps them to be a bit more competitive for the rest of the year but there is no getting away from how far off the pace they are.

It's a hard one, and I get what your saying after looking at these other views but it's the turning motion that Scicily does which is probably the bit that gets him in trouble which isn't really done by the push, that doesn't seem to effect too much, but there is a definite turn of the body which causes the rotation which is somewhat what they are trying to eliminate. The second vid I hadn't seen before.

3 weeks for that is ridiculous.

i feel like there's an element of players deliberately going limp looking for the "dangerous tackle" free kick.

these are 90kg extremely fit men being thrown around like ragdolls. it's like there's zero resistance or effort to protect themselves.

if just grabbing someone's waist and throwing them into the ground was a thing, then that's what everyone would do in the ufc, but if there's a bit of resistance it's not that easy.

mcluggage is actually sitting on sicily's chest and somehow he's able to generate enough torque to slam his head into the ground.

the tackler does still have a duty of care and it's obvious when someone is completely helpless and they just get pulverised but this is not it imo.

we know players play for frees all the time, and i think if you go limp at the wrong moment you can end up with a concussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back