Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks are a million times better now than that round 10 game. That was almost 4 months ago.
Disagree with this.

Hawks had already started there run and played very well against us but I think it all caught us by surprise, because we all still thought they sucked and we were expecting a big win but in reality their revival was already in full swing.

They'd knocked off the Dogs and Saints leading into our game and then went on to beat the Lions and went on a run from there.

That win at the time was seen as a lucky escape against a side we should've won easily against, rather than a really fighting & spirited comeback win against a formidable opponent, which it was in hindsight. Underrated win.

Probably no coincidence that the Hawks only losses since there 0 and 5 start have been to Sydney, Port, Geelong and GWS, which just so happen to be the top 4 teams.

The Dogs vs Hawks EF being spruiked as the box-office draw of the finals tells you all you need to know about the league. They'll lose their minds with 2 PFs outside of Victoria or a non-Vic GF.
I want a 100% non-Vic linked GF. They've latched onto 'South Melbourne Bloods and Fitzroy' when it's been two non-Vic sides so far. Port beating GWS in the GF would be my ideal result.

JBC - There are too many pointless awards named after Victorian footballers.

Boydy Jnr - Here is an idea for another pointless award and here's a Victorian footballer that it can be named after.
The one award I do think is lacking, which should NOT be named after a Victorian, is a Premiership ring, to any player of the Premiers, who played at least one game for them that year. The Grand Final is the final sprint to the line, that can't be done unless you've gotten there. Every player who helped get them there deserves, IMO, some recognition for that, even if they don't make the GF side, whether by injury, suspension or later form.

Main board has a discussion on Herald Sun's best 40 players under 24.

I've copied and pasted the top 10 from that thread, but full list is shown on the thread on main board.

10th. Will Day
9th. Max Holmes
8th. Caleb Serong
7th. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
6th. Chad Warner
5th. Jason Horne-Francis
4th. Harry Sheezel
3rd. Errol Gulden
2nd. Zak Butters
1st. Nick Daicos

Anyone got a view on the relative merits of players named at 4 versus 5? 😃
I’d swap JHF with Sheezel for sure.

Main board has a discussion on Herald Sun's best 40 players under 24.

I've copied and pasted the top 10 from that thread, but full list is shown on the thread on main board.

10th. Will Day
9th. Max Holmes
8th. Caleb Serong
7th. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
6th. Chad Warner
5th. Jason Horne-Francis
4th. Harry Sheezel
3rd. Errol Gulden
2nd. Zak Butters
1st. Nick Daicos

Anyone got a view on the relative merits of players named at 4 versus 5?

I did note that 22yo Mitch Georgiades, 7th in the AFL for goal average while retaining from an ACL was ‘unlucky to miss out’ at #41 on the list.

Hawks are a million times better now than that round 10 game. That was almost 4 months ago.
A 25 point win against Brisbane in round 11.
A 6 point win against GWS in Tassie.
A win over Freo in Tassie.
And the thumping of Carlton.

Otherwise its beating up on the bottom end of the ladder.

With a spanking from Geelong and getting overrun by the Giants in Canberra thrown in.

I mean, its as impressive as Essendon's first half of the year in terms of who they beat.

Disagree with this.

Hawks had already started there run and played very well against us but I think it all caught us by surprise, because we all still thought they sucked and we were expecting a big win but in reality their revival was already in full swing.

They'd knocked off the Dogs and Saints leading into our game and then went on to beat the Lions and went on a run from there.

That win at the time was seen as a lucky escape against a side we should've won easily against, rather than a really fighting & spirited comeback win against a formidable opponent, which it was in hindsight. Underrated win.

Probably no coincidence that the Hawks only losses since there 0 and 5 start have been to Sydney, Port, Geelong and GWS, which just so happen to be the top 4 teams.
And when Will Day was out injured; guess what? He is again out with an injury.

I did note that 22yo Mitch Georgiades, 7th in the AFL for goal average while retaining from an ACL was ‘unlucky to miss out’ at #41 on the list.
Despite averaging nearly double the amount of goals as Jack Ginnivan who did make the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

~180 day return from season ending ACL injury has to be some kind of record

It’s interesting. I’ve no doubt at 180 days the knee feels pretty good for most stuff but I’d love to know how much match sim type training sim done.

If you mean swapping their positions on that list, then yeah, absolutely. Daicos isn't the match winner JHF is.
I mean if Daicos hadn't got injured last year he would potentially be a back to back Brownlow medalist at 21 years of age in a couple of weeks.

If you mean swapping their positions on that list, then yeah, absolutely. Daicos isn't the match winner JHF is.
He is. He's been a match winner in plenty of games in his short time in the league, most recently the Brisbane one only a few weeks ago. I don't begrudge Daicos his spot on that list.

Sheezel, on the other hand? If some spud hadn't invented Supercoach and warped the perceptions of a generation of football followers, he wouldn't have cracked the top 20.

~180 day return from season ending ACL injury has to be some kind of record

Post the LARS obsession that is absolutely correct.

Anyone here who has had a full knee reconstruction will know what their surgeon says about the criticality of the recovery period for successful graft longevity. There’s definitely a huge long term recovery risk here that Carlton and Docherty think is worth taking.

Smacks of desperation. Hope he doesn't reinjure it.
He must be boom or bust retiring.

Showtime Hawks, feels like yesterday Tredrea vilified by all and sundry for making a phone call in the 07 prelim

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Back