Port, Melbourne & Collingwood mega trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Not overly excited by this but how can Melbourne expect to get a better deal for Toump. I tried to stay positive about it and I did hope for more but he was not getting a game most of this year and several kids overtook him. I expect to get more out of Kennedy especially seeing sub has been axed. Melbourne were very keen on him at the draft.
Reckon Howe has a possibility to hurt us but needs to become consistent.

Wait so the deals give 25 for Melksham but give away a former number 4 pick for chips and lose Howe for pick 29? Wow

No, we swapped a first round pick and highly rated junior for another first round pick and highly rated junior, and got a second round plus a lower pick for Howe.

Fine with me. Even Melksham for Howe would be fine with me, at least with Jake you know you have someone who's going to put in on a regular basis.

The fact that so many are either nuetral/no one wins means that we'll have to check back in 2 or 3 seasons and see what these players have produced at their new clubs...
Spot on. So far Howe has best output but plenty of potential in Toump and Kennedy. Personally think Toump may just not have it in him however certainly seemed to his fair share of injuries prior to and post arrival.
Kennedy looks to have a bit of pace and grunt that we would really like to add.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that so many are either nuetral/no one wins means that we'll have to check back in 2 or 3 seasons and see what these players have produced at their new clubs...
Fair comment. On the face of it, Melbourne hasn't done too bad. Toumpas is ordinary. If he wasn't pick 4, he wouldn't be discussed.

In the end I think Melbourne got Kennedy who may surprise and be the type of player they need (+trades). Adelaide got a running player they were looking for. Pies got a versatile player unlike others on the list, and Port got a guy who may perform better back home.

So it was a deal that probably serves a purpose for each club without being stars.

Howe has his flaws but is an AFL standard player. Think Collingwood have done well turning two VFL standard players into him.

Pretty much a free hit for Port with Toumpas but do they really need that sort of player with Polec and White already?

When our only depth for that role is kane Mitchell than yes, we really do need that sort of player.

Howe is an average player who can take a hanger

Toumpas has bad hips and is suffering from the Tambling syndrome of being a high draft pick

Kennedy will get his opportunity at Melbourne while Seedsman fills a need for Adelaide

When our only depth for that role is kane Mitchell than yes, we really do need that sort of player.
I'm not sure type of player Toump is. When he came to us I assumed he was an outside mid half back type. Not sure if he has just not recovered from the hip injuries or we just haven't developed him in a position suitable. Seems to lack intensity required for a mid and is extremely panicky with ball in hand in the back half. I guess he could still become an outside mid but will be down the pecking order at Port. I'm genuinely interested in seeing what Port do with him.

Hasn't hurt Hogan and Brayshaw (and any number of other young players).
You've had numerous top 10 picks, actually probably more top 5 and many have failed miserably. Not trying to troll just being honest, if you guys could develop your kids better you'd be right up there. Club seems to be going in a better direction now but someone at Howes age needs a change of scenery to get a different perspective and perhaps realise his potential.

Collingwood are about even. Howe is a win but Seedsman is a loss.

Adelaide had a win.

Port didn't give up much but I doubt Toumpas has the athleticism or hardness.

Melbourne lost getting unders for Howe.

You've had numerous top 10 picks, actually probably more top 5 and many have failed miserably. Not trying to troll just being honest, if you guys could develop your kids better you'd be right up there. Club seems to be going in a better direction now but someone at Howes age needs a change of scenery to get a different perspective and perhaps realise his potential.
Not if he had any fortitude he wouldn't. He wasn't there for 07-09. His first year was 2011, we were up and down but not terrible then. The club then had 3 shocking years. But last year we won 7 games. That's a win for every 2 losses. Don't win a game, be upset, 2 weeks later you'll win one. It wouldn't take much improvement over the next year or two for us to win over 50% of games and play finals.

He wants to be the super star forward and have good players kicking it to his lace out. Good luck to him. You don't get easy kicks in finals or against top sides and he'll soon work that out. If he can improve and find consistency he'll be a good player. If he doesn't he'll probably end up on the Collingwood half back line pretty quickly.

Toump was the last of our early picks who doesn't look the goods. Granted there have only been a couple of drafts since.
One thing most of these early mostly failed picks have in common is they were all skinny underdeveloped kids. Toump Gysberts Cook Morton. Watts I hold hope that he'll be a good long term player but not the player we hoped to draft at 1. But he fits the category above.

I would have hoped for more, but Toumpas really doesn't have much value, and we were staring down the barrel as soon as Howe nominated Collingwood.

If we bring in Bugg from GWS, then at least we've maintained the theme of bringing in competitive personalities and ditching the opposite - whilst keeping our first and possibly second round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port, Melbourne & Collingwood mega trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back