Port, Melbourne & Collingwood mega trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering the Howe deal in terms of contract is worth $350k for 3 years with an option of a 4th I think this is a pretty good deal for us considering he will play senior football straight away.

Clearly a big difference to that reported $600k he was chasing.

Reckon out of the situation win/win trades for all clubs.

Adelaide probably win, but Howe at a new club, new direction/positional changes could be really good.

Toumpas has about as much use as a safe player.

Kennedy could surprise given opportunity.

Collingwood break even as Howe for seedsman is fairly even.

A lot of people say that Kennedy's skills are poor, however he was considered a good disposal as a junior. To me it looks like one of two things. He looks like he is rushing it to much at AFL level and second of all those leg operations he had after his first season might have set him back with his kicking penetration. I would have loved him to get a real crack at AFL level to see how he goes. Needs a big preseason and some real game time. If that doesn't pay off you can say for sure he isn't good enough.
Yes I've heard this a lot but in the VFL games I've watched his disposal has been pretty average as well - he just gets a hell of a lot more of the ball there than AFL level.

Reasonably happy Dee fan. Get two NQR's off the list. Not sure the Toump will ever make it. He shytes himself everytime he gets it and that's not often. Don't see any AFL qualities.
Howe is an extremely lazy, non-competitor that gets attention because he can jump on blokes shoulders. Could make a decent player but would want to pull his finger out.

Reasonably happy Dee fan. Get two NQR's off the list. Not sure the Toump will ever make it. He shytes himself everytime he gets it and that's not often. Don't see any AFL qualities.
Howe is an extremely lazy, non-competitor that gets attention because he can jump on blokes shoulders. Could make a decent player but would want to pull his finger out.
The thing is, I could easily see both of them benefitting from a change of scenery.

In retrospect, Howe had checked out from the moment he was told he would be a mainstay defender. He's capable of producing a lot better than what he's shown to date, in particular this year. I don't think he was fully switched on for four quarters this season. He's a selfish player, but he has talent that if fully tapped could make him a dangerous player. He will give the Pies forward coaches headaches though. He's great at jumping on opponent's backs but getting front position is another story.

Toump does have AFL traits in terms of his skill level. The two big question marks over him are his body, in terms of fully recovering from his hip surgery to regain the speed and agility he had as a junior, and overcoming his deer in the headlights syndrome. He panics. Often. He needs to shrug that off and quickly if he is to make it as an AFL player. I think he's capable if he stops beating up on himself so much. Moving back to his home state to be close to his family could well have a flow on effect for someone like Jimmy.

Or they could both fail spectacularly. Time will tell.

Last edited:
The thing is, I could easily see both of them benefitting from a change of scenery.

In retrospect, Howe had checked out from the moment he was told he would be a mainstay defender. He's capable of producing a lot better than what he's shown to date, in particular this year. I don't think he was fully switched on for four quarters this season. He's a selfish player, but he has talent thay if fully tapped could make him a dangerous player. He will give the Pies forward coaches headaches though. He's great at jumping on opponent's backs but getting front position is another story

Toump does have AFL traits in terms of his skill level. The two big question marks over him are his body, in terms of fully recovering from his hip surgery to regain the speed and agility he had as a junior, and overcoming his deer in a headlights syndrome. He panics. Often. He needs to shrug that off and quickly if he is to make it as an AFL player. I think he's capable if he stops beating up on himself so much. Moving back to his home state to be close to his family could well have a flow on effect for someone like Jimmy.

Or they could both fail spectacularly. Time will tell.

The Dante Exum syndrome...Know it well

Im pretty happy with Kennedy. Feel he could be a good player given opportunity. Rather him than Toumpas. Dear god..

Although I think we could have gotten more out of the deak had we dealt with Howe and Toumpas separately

is that legit? cos thats awful for us?
I don't think it is. Howe was just a jumping jack in the box that had to go to another club in order to 'fulfill his potential', instead of voicing his opinion that he was not happy at Melbourne being played out of position he wanted out. We don't want him. Collingwood finished one position higher than us this year, they have potential on their list but so do we. They can have him, and good luck to Buckley to try and turn him into an Isaac Smith type, he will have to work 10 times as hard than he did at Melbourne.

Do you think Collingwood paid to much?
You've lost a player and pick 32 for Howe essentially, so it is probably even. I don't know much about Kennedy, how has he played for you guys before and is it a loss for Collingwood? Howe for pick 32 is about right, he is capable of being a really damaging player but he needs to seriously improve his work ethic and consistency week to week. Maybe he will play better at another club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure type of player Toump is. When he came to us I assumed he was an outside mid half back type. Not sure if he has just not recovered from the hip injuries or we just haven't developed him in a position suitable. Seems to lack intensity required for a mid and is extremely panicky with ball in hand in the back half. I guess he could still become an outside mid but will be down the pecking order at Port. I'm genuinely interested in seeing what Port do with him.

he would start off on the outskirts you would think in that 25-30 player depth group unless he has a massive pre season and nab challenge he could very well slot into the team round 1 if his form, injuries and attitude allows him to do so. Its pretty much all up to him how far he gets and how hard he works under ken

Im surprised Melb would right someone off so soon. pick 4 21 yrs old worth a 3rd n 4th rounder?

Could be 1 of 2 reasons:

1. He's really as bad as he's looked in some matches. I don't think this is the case, but he at times has seemed shockingly below AFL standards.

2. Melbourne is simply trying to slowly but surely cut ties with bad drafting and lockerroom cancers from the Bailey and Neeld years.

I think 2 is pretty reasonable.

Could be 1 of 2 reasons:

1. He's really as bad as he's looked in some matches. I don't think this is the case, but he at times has seemed shockingly below AFL standards.

2. Melbourne is simply trying to slowly but surely cut ties with bad drafting and lockerroom cancers from the Bailey and Neeld years.

I think 2 is pretty reasonable.

Yer thats fair for sure.
Just suprised is all. seeing i watched him in the sanfl look great. great run and carry, very attacking etc.
Almost like Polec without the inside game that Polec has developed.
Hell Matt White looks good in the Port team, i think Toump has better skills on the outside so hopefully thats where he fits for us

I don't think it is. Howe was just a jumping jack in the box that had to go to another club in order to 'fulfill his potential', instead of voicing his opinion that he was not happy at Melbourne being played out of position he wanted out. We don't want him. Collingwood finished one position higher than us this year, they have potential on their list but so do we. They can have him, and good luck to Buckley to try and turn him into an Isaac Smith type, he will have to work 10 times as hard than he did at Melbourne.
I'm fine with the Howe portion of the deal. I think Collingwood paid a fair price for him.
I was just a bit shocked to see us turn pick 4 into (effectively) pick 50 within 3 years, but I guess that is about all Toumpas is worth at the moment.

You've lost a player and pick 32 for Howe essentially, so it is probably even. I don't know much about Kennedy, how has he played for you guys before and is it a loss for Collingwood? Howe for pick 32 is about right, he is capable of being a really damaging player but he needs to seriously improve his work ethic and consistency week to week. Maybe he will play better at another club.

Kennedy has been dominant at VFL level, never got a huge amount of chances at AFL level but mostly struggled when he did. Don't think he's a huge loss for us apart from depth really, is small and not a great kick. But like all the players in this trade, he's got some talent and it's possible he'll come good at his new club.

Kennedy has been dominant at VFL level, never got a huge amount of chances at AFL level but mostly struggled when he did. Don't think he's a huge loss for us apart from depth really, is small and not a great kick. But like all the players in this trade, he's got some talent and it's possible he'll come good at his new club.
Almost every player can compile a decent highlights package, but I quite liked Kennedy's. There's a bit of Jack Viney about the way he attacks the contest, quick with his hands and his kicking on occasion looked pretty neat. Obviously he needs to do it consistently. His career may follow a similar course at the MFC with time spent in the seconds but he has some tools to work with.

Port the winners here.

Toumpas will come good imo

Bet big Todd Viney will be spewing he didn't pick Jack's best mate instead.

That would have set Melbourne up for the next 10+ years, midfield wise.

There was a discussion on this board a short while back as to whether it was Viney or Neeld who opted for Toumpas.

I always thought that it was Neeld but I could be wrong.

Im surprised Melb would right someone off so soon. pick 4 21 yrs old worth a 3rd n 4th rounder?
If he hasn't shown anything yet, doubt that is going to change. We r only talking about him as he was pick 4. If 24, he wouldn't be on any list

Remove this Banner Ad

Port, Melbourne & Collingwood mega trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back