Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone everyone. It's all good. Tom Jonas said that wasn't us. So it's gravy. We must play next week.

Unfortunately Tom, that is absolutely us. Mentally weak and timid. Rather than talking ******* responsibility and vowing to fix it, just slide on past and pretend there is nothing to see here.

I know it was only a comment but fu** me if it wasn't typical of the peon culture that is entrenched in Port Adelaide.

#ThatWasntUs #weareportadelaide
We did the same after that diabolical North game. Just signals that it's a shoulder shrug and a "let's move on" attitude from our leadership, or whatever it is that now substitutes for it.

Special mention to Riley Bonner, he was imo going to be our weakest link but he was one of few that tried his guts out.

The more I look at last night there is one thing that makes me angrier than anything else.

Ok we got jumped. Ok the dogs ran rampant for the first half.

But we lost the fourth quarter 20-7.

Dogs traveled everywhere, no break, no incentive to kick on in the fourth as they didnt want injuries.

We couldnt even play for the jumper and for pride. Couldnt even put in a half hour to get some semblance of respect back. fu** that annoys me.

It was all over by the last quarter, I think the most disappointing thing was absolutely no reaction in the second quarter after being smashed in the first quarter, just more of the same insipid gutless mentally piss weak efforts.

Last night's pathetic performance made it painfully clear to me the club won't win anything of note while Hinkley and Jonas continue in their roles.
Kern's shortcomings have been obvious for years, and if TJ was captain of the mob down the road numerous posters on here would be laughing at how someone with his lack of genuine talent could be chosen to captain any AFL club, and quite rightly so.

I wasn't pleased to see a couple of our boys when the national anthem was playing, they were standing there as if there is no interest or they didn't know the enormity of the game to come.

I would of loved to have seen our boys sing the national anthem with gusto, just as the Italy did in the 2020 Euro's. These are some of the mental 1%'s to prepare the players for big games. Our boys weren't prepared enough mentally.

That's when I knew we were going to be in for a long night.

I so much want to give up on this club after last night’s horror show.
Unfortunately I can’t do this because port Adelaide has been part of my life for over 50 years. It’s like a bad relationship you know your going to get hurt but you keep coming back. One good thing is I don’t live in Adelaide feeling really sorry for you guys for the shyt you will take over the next couple of weeks. Lots of things should happen like Ken getting the sack Monday morning but that won’t happen to much money in today’s game not like the old days. As i said I want to close the door but I can’t so will just have to put up with it.

Last night's pathetic performance made it painfully clear to me the club won't win anything of note while Hinkley and Jonas continue in their roles.
Kern's shortcomings have been obvious for years, and if TJ was captain of the mob down the road numerous posters on here would be laughing at how someone with his lack of genuine talent could be chosen to captain any AFL club, and quite rightly so.

Agree remember we had the farcical co-captains idea and it was only pressure from the supporter base that changed it, that's how much Hinkley thinks of Port Adelaide.
Look at Gawn, Bontompelli as captains it's embarrassing who we have Jonas gives the impression it's only a job and we will just move on.

Riley Bonner is a finals footballer

Perspective;

we got smashed
were not going to beat melbourne in GF.
up against a mid field with real inside outside depth.
cant blame backs, forwards we were smashed in contest
bonti V v good

they did hw after previous loss.
we have been up for 7/8 weeks
robbie prob not a regular now.
the three young guns have all had injuries.

still plenty of talent next year.
ken will finish in 2 more years and we will be in much bzetter posn than when he started.

dont let the other supporters crap on our team.
coming back on train the carriage was like stunned mullets.
a geelong lad crapped on us, i did not return volly a regret.

It was all over by the last quarter, I think the most disappointing thing was absolutely no reaction in the second quarter after being smashed in the first quarter, just more of the same insipid gutless mentally piss weak efforts.
Its never over if youre wearing a Port guernsey. Never ever give up. Give yourself at least one thing you can take to the offseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night again proved we are just not good enough mentally and ability wise.
Our ball use especially from the midfield is nowhere near what you need from a premiership side, it gets you by in the minor round but that is it.
Our fragile mental state will not change until you have stronger leadership on and off the ground, both have to change otherwise expect the same next year.

17mt0o.jpg

I so much want to give up on this club after last night’s horror show.
Unfortunately I can’t do this because port Adelaide has been part of my life for over 50 years. It’s like a bad relationship you know your going to get hurt but you keep coming back. One good thing is I don’t live in Adelaide feeling really sorry for you guys for the shyt you will take over the next couple of weeks. Lots of things should happen like Ken getting the sack Monday morning but that won’t happen to much money in today’s game not like the old days. As i said I want to close the door but I can’t so will just have to put up with it.
I know exactly what you mean but I have found I can watch us dish that up and have no emotion, that means the Port has been sucked out of me. Thanks Ken.

Perspective;

we got smashed
were not going to beat melbourne in GF.
up against a mid field with real inside outside depth.
cant blame backs, forwards we were smashed in contest
bonti V v good

they did hw after previous loss.
we have been up for 7/8 weeks
robbie prob not a regular now.
the three young guns have all had injuries.

still plenty of talent next year.
ken will finish in 2 more years and we will be in much bzetter posn than when he started.

dont let the other supporters crap on our team.
coming back on train the carriage was like stunned mullets.
a geelong lad crapped on us, i did not return volly a regret.

Reality, we lost a home preliminary final (we were hot favourites for) by 71 points, 71 ****ing points

The biggest disappointment and telltale sign that we were not switched on from the start wasn’t the first clearance that we lost, not the first goal (as we always give that up), not the follow up clearance that they just waltzed the ball out but it was after their first behind.

We finally had the ball and had a moment to stop, think and move it forward.

I think it was Jonas who took the kick in (maybe Bonner) but they did a camera angle up the ground from behind the goals and not a single one of our players moved. Not even tried to run into space or create options.

This was all of 3 minutes into the game. We should have been fresh, hungry and motivated. Instead, it was dead ends everywhere.

Not one single bloody player in the team put in an ounce of effort to move more than 2m and instead just completely stationary.

That was disgusting too see and that’s purely a lack of effort and motivation too work hard from the absolute get go.

That’s what can’t be forgiven. If they don’t care why should anyone else.

We’re talking 3 minutes into a home prelim and they can’t even be arsed moving.

So of course, due to lack of options it’s just a kick to our usual spot right of the square, loose the ball, back over our heads and an easy goal.
It’s not that they didn’t care it’s that they weren’t prepared for a tough prelim.
They believed all the BS and thought it would be an easy win.

******* BULLDOGS COACH JUST COMPLAINED ABOUT THE UMPIRES.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
If the umpires had done their job properly at the Gabba last week, the Dogs wouldn't even have been playing last night.

I wasn't pleased to see a couple of our boys when the national anthem was playing, they were standing there as if there is no interest or they didn't know the enormity of the game to come.

I would of loved to have seen our boys sing the national anthem with gusto, just as the Italy did in the 2020 Euro's. These are some of the mental 1%'s to prepare the players for big games. Our boys weren't prepared enough mentally.

That's when I knew we were going to be in for a long night.
There were a few smirks and laughs during the warm up.
But that had been happening during the last few minor rounds games too.
I’m not sure if it happens against Geelong.
It concerned me too.

The game was lost in the first 15 minutes. Anything beyond that was just going through the motions, we were never coming back from 5 goals to 0 at that point. And the sad thing is that this is how we have lost basically every game this season. Surely at some point the coaching group identify that this is our problem and you look to make changes to remedy the issue? Problems like this don't magically fix themselves. It isn't just a random event that keeps occurring.

Everything comes down to the stoppage contest in that first 15 minutes and our inability to get our hands on the ball and be clean with it. Boak, Gray and to a lesser extent Wines were all terrible but Lycett was the main culprit. Once again his ruckwork at the start of the game was pathetic - Martin's hitouts were to advantage to his rovers and all Lycett's were either to disadvantage or neutral position.

In a game like this, with the importance that it has, why not start Dixon in the ruck to start? It worked a treat against Fremantle in one of the only games this year that we actually started well. What's the definition of insanity again?

The second biggest disappointment for me was Mckenzie. Insipid game. Naughton is a good player but Mckenzie gave him everything that he wanted and played him into good form. We still would have lost but Clurey surely doesn't give Naughton as much room as Mckenzie did. Mckenzie's form was excellent prior to this game, just extremely unfortunate he decided to have his worst game of the season in this one.

We need to explore ways to transition Lycett out of the team. If he is open to a trade then great, but we need to look to the future in terms of ruckman because we have one who is not good enough.
Gray is finished.
Motlop is also pretty close to finished.
Boak has some petrol in the tank but we need to explore replacements now so when he does retire we have some cover.
Need to find a young key defender. This game showed that Jonas and Mckenzie are approaching the cliff.

And its time to move on from Hinkley. He is good but not great. He has shown that across his entire tenure and its not suddenly going to change. Everything on the line and we serve up that trash. Embarrassing for him, our players and our supporters.

Can’t blame any of the forwards last night.

That was pretty much a replica of the Melbourne Geelong game.

All the blame goes on the midfield, backline and coaches. Bulldogs looked like they had extras at every contest. They were setup in the right spots for every tap down and Lycett was feeding it down their throat.

Then an easy handball out, no pressure and kick inside 50.

Our ruck and midfield awful and zero adjustments made there for the entire game.

Then in defense Aliir Aliir was held back at the stoppages so it left Naughton and Hannan to launch while McKenzie and Jonas were slow as anything and awful in the air.

We were fumbly, soft and gave them way too many easy chances to run and mark and then it was over.

Most of that was on Lycett and then a combo of the mids and defenders. Although 5 goals from 6 inside 50’s is an indictment on our defense. None of them were uncontested marks either it was just terrible defending, position and fumbling hands.

Lycett at 28 turning 29 next year has to go. That was one of the worst performances by a ruckman in recent years and it was against a 35 year old Stefan Martin. Although in saying that it wasn’t like Martin was stopping Lycett getting the tap down, Lycett was just tapping it to where 2 dogs players were every time.

The mids couldn’t get their hands on the ball but they would’ve had to be thinking **** me why is Lycett tapping it to the 2 loose Dogs midfielders every time. Even after we were 3,4, 5 goals down though there were 0 adjustments. Did they think Lycett was just going to get better? They should’ve added a number at the stoppage to stop the bleeding or move players onto their loose mids (Macrae, Smith) in the contest.

That’s on the coaches to make those adjustments though. Lycett didn’t change the entire game so was the directive even given to fix that up because it looked like honestly no adjustments were made at all.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back