Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Rehn on 5AA this morning, "There's been some suggestion that replacing Ken Hinkley as coach is the answer. There aren't too many coaches who can boast a 60% record as coach - who do you replace him with?" Give me strength - we can now add Melbourne to the list of teams that have made a grand final since we last did so: maybe Essendon is next???
The incisive football analysis of Tom Rehn sounds like one of those world's shortest books. What a lightweight.

Alliir likes to roam. Should never have started on English. Take Hannam instead and let AA roam loose.
Mitch Hannan kicked three goals against us because his small defender wasn't accountable to him and just let him run around. This is a bad call. Also Aliir started on, and played on English for the entire round 23 game. And got his intercept game on.

The difference being in this game the Dogs decided to kick to English constantly. The difference being that English never had any thought in competing for the ball. He just worked to block and hold Aliir every time. Naughton would just sit off whereever English was and then charge in a fly at the contest.

I wonder if it would work for us. Have Dixon just go to whoever the oppositions best intercepter is and engage them. Then kick it on their head and let Georgiadies charge in and sit on their head. The weakness is that his hands aren't as good as Naughton's.

It honestly looked like most of them (especially the trinity) were scared of getting injured and missing the GF.

11 of the 18 teams have made GFs since Ken’s tenure started... but not us...

If its a repeat of 02-04 these past two years and 2022 then thats cruel, but no flag next year and its rebuild
As this year has shown, teams struggling in previous years are now becoming dominate forces. Be prepared for another 2 clubs becoming contenders next season with Essendon and St.Kilda likely stepping up. Port on the other hand have been found out and we will be battling for 8th spot next season. Mark my words.

As this year has shown, teams struggling in previous years are now becoming dominate forces. Be prepared for another 2 clubs becoming contenders next season with Essendon and St.Kilda likely stepping up. Port on the other hand have been found out and we will be battling for 8th spot next season. Mark my words.
St Kilda won't come again.

They're the ones the AFL are trying to out.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Tom Rehn on 5AA this morning, "There's been some suggestion that replacing Ken Hinkley as coach is the answer. There aren't too many coaches who can boast a 60% record as coach - who do you replace him with?" Give me strength - we can now add Melbourne to the list of teams that have made a grand final since we last did so: maybe Essendon is next???

Maybe he can run that thought past Tredders on 9 news tonight.

Highlight tonight was Scotty Hodges kicking the goal before the game, his kicking and attack on the ball would put our forwards to shame.
Should be compulsory required to work with our forwards and he is allowed to be aggressive with them and threaten to deal with them the way he dealt with bikies and drunken idiots at night clubs.

WORSE THAN 119

Game was over in the first 12min farken.

Dogs just wanted it more. Simple as that really. Our players were so reactive, so nervous, so fumbly.

And here I was seething all week for shitposters shitting the bed - hell, it wasn’t even close to what we served up tonight. Home Brand Hollywood Horseshit.

Soft. Insipid. Pathetic. Piss Weak. Disgraceful.

The only reason I stayed to the bitter end was because angry Port fans are piss funny and I wanted to see how many seats they could break in their Hulk-Outs

+ it was pretty funny when they turned on each other and started arguing about EPL, wtf?

FU Ports, was so looking forward of starting a “thundercloud - you were right!” thread in a few weeks…
Yeah I reckon this was worse

This will have massive ramifications just like the 2007 GF.

For me it's a more inspiped performance than 2007. Geelong were a great side, who had the revenge of wasted opportunities over the previous 3 years, had 44 years of failed finals and grand finals to get out of their system, they had 7 x 2007 All Oz players and 16 players who won All Oz selection over their careers in their side.

The Western Bulldogs were nothing like the Geelong juggernaut of 2007.

We had a hell of a lot stacked against us in 2007. In 2021 we had so much stacked in our favour.

This could set us back 5 years, just like 2007 did, unless it is properly address with tough decisions, not the ****in cliche driven crap of put it behind us and moving forward. No ****in point of moving forward, when you are on the edge of a cliff.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember as a kid we lost to Glenelg by almost 100 points and the back page was Russel Johnson apologising for their lack of effort and promising it wouldn't happen again.
I miss the club I grew up with, even when they got hammered
I'm sure Ford Fairlane can relate the story of the consequences of a pathetic loss when either Jack Cahill or Fos Williams was Port coach: the fallout would have been far different to what we've just witnessed.

Yeah I reckon this was worse

This will have massive ramifications just like the 2007 GF.

For me it's a more inspiped performance than 2007. Geelong were a great side, who had the revenge of wasted opportunities over the previous 3 years, had 44 years of failed finals and grand finals to get out of their system, they had 7 x 2007 All Oz players and 16 players who won All Oz selection over their careers in their side.

The Western Bulldogs were nothing like the Geelong juggernaut of 2007.

We had a hell of a lot stacked against us in 2007. In 2021 we had so much stacked in our favour.

This could set us back 5 years, just like 2007 did, unless it is properly address with tough decisions, not the fu**in cliche drive crap of put it behind us and moving forward. No fu**in point of moving forward, when you are on the edge of a cliff.

I think we fell off the cliff Saturday night to be honest.

Was just listening to the replay of David Kings analysis on SEN, and all he really does is laud the Bulldogs midfield and how their setups completely confused us. I call BS on that. That's all well and good if the Bulldogs are the ones getting first hands on the ball, but is useless if they don't have the ball. That is where our failure was, the ruck and midfield got dacked. Utterly pantsed. Combined with some horrible defending we gave up far too many easy goals. How many times did our captain go for the spoil but failed to clear the ball? How many times was Naughton allowed to get a run at it?

I'm sure Ford Fairlane can relate the story of the consequences of a pathetic loss when either Jack Cahill or Fos Williams was Port coach: the fallout would have been far different to what we've just witnessed.

I couldn't say how it was under Fos, but I suspect not much different to Jack's response.

After a match supporters would go upstairs and mingle with the players. Now I didn't experience too many pathetic performances when Jack was coach but after a bad loss, you could feel the shame in the room from the players. In those days the club would do a whip around of the supporters for money to be divvied up among the 3 players judged by the coach as best on the day and they would be presented to the crowd. Bit like Sunday mass, but you could see where the money was going. ;)

After a bad loss we would be told there would be no collection, no one deserved any reward. Jack would come on stage to talk, still seething, and his response was usually succinct - that was embarrassing, we know you're hurting, it was not good enough and it won't happen again.

We believed him and he never let us down.

And players would stay around and hear from supporters how disappointed they were.

This loss is worse than the 2007 GF, and that's saying something.

1. Strong favourites, at home with a 2 week break.
2. Bulldogs had their best player under an injury cloud and their most in-form tall defender out injured. It should have been a forward entry feast for Toddy and Dixon.
3. Beat them in Round 23. They were coming off 2 fairly taxing finals in Tassie and the Gabba.
4. A 1 point loss with points 1-3 included would have been unacceptable alone. But a 71 point loss in near perfect conditions and preparation and it's a disgrace of the highest order.

I couldn't say how it was under Fos, but I suspect not much different to Jack's response.

After a match supporters would go upstairs and mingle with the players. Now I didn't experience too many pathetic performances when Jack was coach but after a bad loss, you could feel the shame in the room from the players. In those days the club would do a whip around of the supporters for money to be divvied up among the 3 players judged by the coach as best on the day and they would be presented to the crowd. Bit like Sunday mass, but you could see where the money was going. ;)

After a bad loss we would be told there would be no collection, no one deserved any reward. Jack would come on stage to talk, still seething, and his response was usually succinct - that was embarrassing, we know you're hurting, it was not good enough and it won't happen again.

We believed him and he never let us down.

And players would stay around and hear from supporters how disappointed they were.
Little wonder why Port Magpies never finished lower than 3rd under Jack - even that was considered a failure, as a premiership was the only true pass mark!!!

Papa G's thread about do we over rate Boak I went and had a look thread about our top 15 AFL era players a collingwood fan asked in 2019. I said on page 6 you really can make 3 lists and said what the criteria is and had my 3 top 15 lists on page 7 - the current last post. I don't have Boak in my top 10 and probably have only move him up a spot or two in the last 2 years so 10th might be the highest. But on page 6 when I wrote about the 3 different types of lists, I added

There were a few Marvin Atapattus play for Port - just like there are for all sides - ie make lots of ducks (most made by a top 6 batsman) against the best sides eg Oz, South Africa, India, the Poms but make lots of double centuries (=6th highest in history) against the cellar dwellers eg Zimbabwe, Bangadesh, New Zealand on home spinning decks. I tend to discount the records of those sorts of players.

Who in our side now gets the Marvin Atapattu medals ( yes there are more than 1 of them) for having a great record against the cellar dwellers, makes double century type performances against them, but makes a lot of ducks come the finals?

Papa G's thread about do we over rate Boak I went and had a look thread about our top 15 AFL era players a collingwood fan asked in 2019. I said on page 6 you really can make 3 lists and said what the criteria is and had my 3 top 15 lists on page 7 - the current last post. I don't have Boak in my top 10 and probably have only move him up a spot or two in the last 2 years so 10th might be the highest. But on page 6 when I wrote about the 3 different types of lists, I added

There were a few Marvin Atapattus play for Port - just like there are for all sides - ie make lots of ducks (most made by a top 6 batsman) against the best sides eg Oz, South Africa, India, the Poms but make lots of double centuries (=6th highest in history) against the cellar dwellers eg Zimbabwe, Bangadesh, New Zealand on home spinning decks. I tend to discount the records of those sorts of players.

Who in our side now gets the Marvin Atapattu medal for having a great record against the cellar dwellers, makes double century type performances against them, but makes a lot of ducks come the finals?
Dixon.

This game is another example of why I hate zone off, unaccountable football. Come finals time it's all about tough hard grinding footy. You can't afford unaccountable crap. It breeds bad habits. Team defence is the same sort of crap. You worry about zoning off to cover players but if you have great ball users like The Bont, Macrae, Hunter, Dunkley etc, go to the stoppage or contest because you are zoning off, you are just giving them a free hit at getting the ball. Happened all night. Dumb shit.

Yeah I know you have to do it sometimes but it should be like having to do a left foot torp or drop kick if you are a right footer. You have it in your arsenal to pull out when you need it, but its not what you use most of the times.

And that other cliche, we'll be back bigger and better next year.

No one is buying what you're selling.
Well he will be, if his contract has an increase in 2022. But yeah the club wont be.

I keep harping back to the 2nd to last game in 2019 against Norf when we had a finals birth on the line - essentially the same result as last night.

What's the definition of insanity again?
FTFY

What do I want to hear?
How about the club organise a month's penance?

Every day, for a month, one of those 23 players plus coaches plus a couple that missed out, release a video message to us - not a scripted Crows Taylor sorry message - honestly telling us how Sat night hurt, how embarrassed they feel, where they honestly stuffed up in field, whether it was effort, or fumbles, or switched off their opponent, whatever - and how they are going to make amends in 2022. How its gonna burn. How they'll front up to supporters even though they don't want to. How they'll hold each other accountable to those standards. How nothing will be left unturned. No bit of fitness, no extra effort, no momentary drop in standards. How we'll bury teams when they're down. We won't start fights, but we'll end them. Watch the 94 SANFL GF on repeat if you want to learn.
Because we, as supporters, appreciate that flags aren't easy, appreciate what they achieve, but only when they're honest about where they haven't.
"Honourable defeat ONLY happens when playing endeavour is COMPLETELY exhausted."
How many can say that?

End of rant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back