Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Seat 2, if nothing else you would be well hydrated on an 8 hour flight next to Robbo.
Classic Film Jump GIF by Det Danske Filminstitut

Jeepers...imagine if we weren't having our best season in since 1936 and we had lost more than 3 games by under a goal.. im concerned too but i think plenty of ovee reaction

We're chokers. 0-3 in games decided by less than a goal. No chance in finals with that record. Next step, oblivion

..... what do you mean over reacting?

Thought I'd revisit this in the wake of the post-bye period and two losses.

Still going on the same criteria.

1. Heeney (-)
2. Gulden (+2)
3. Rowbottom (-)
4. Grundy (+1)
5. Warner (-3)
6. Blakey (-)
7. McInerney (+5)
8. Cunningham (-)
9. Lloyd (+6)
10. Papley (-1)
11. Jordon (-)
12. Florent (-5)
13. Melican (-4)
14. Rampe (-1)
15. Hayward (-1)
16. Adams (+4)
17. McLean (-1)
18. McCartin (-8)
19. Amartey (+3)
20. McDonald (-3)
21. Wicks (-)
22. Roberts (-4)
23. Campbell
24. Fox (-1)

To me that top 6 are locked in. They are our clear best six players and the order could easily change with all of them. Heeney & Gulden just come out on top for me because they really are perfect balances of elite talent and incredible hard work.

Defenders have dropped, forwards still aren't rising. Probably the tale of the season at present.

Just my opinion anyway. Not worth anything.
Please don't take as a criticism but I don't much like rating players against each other. I think it's more important to rate them against expectations in their role. For instance, a player like Heeney should be marked harder than Roberts by virtue of his experience.
By this approach Gulden, Warner and Rowbottom come out miles ahead because their performance is far ahead of expectations based on age, no of games and the AFL average.
Heeney and Blakey are next rank.
Next McInerney, McCartin (23yo!), Papley, Grundy, Rampe.
After that it becomes real hair-splitting stuff.
I have personal views about a few players but they are of no particular value in this kind of discussion.
To me the key thing is that the base of the pyramid is as good quality as it has ever been while the stars are just that. Cheer cheer!

Lions at Gabba, Port anywhere & Bombers at Marvel is nightmare fuel.

If we don't finish top we'll literally only have ourselves to blame and that will sting.

I mean, ****ing Richmond, Fremantle and St Kilda...
Something broke at halftime in the GWS game. Our connection, skills and pressure has been patchy since, including yesterday, although it was better. We get it back, then lose it, then get it back. Must be driving the coaches bananas. Just got to keep going until it reappears more consistently.

Please don't take as a criticism but I don't much like rating players against each other. I think it's more important to rate them against expectations in their role. For instance, a player like Heeney should be marked harder than Roberts by virtue of his experience.
By this approach Gulden, Warner and Rowbottom come out miles ahead because their performance is far ahead of expectations based on age, no of games and the AFL average.
Heeney and Blakey are next rank.
Next McInerney, McCartin (23yo!), Papley, Grundy, Rampe.
After that it becomes real hair-splitting stuff.
I have personal views about a few players but they are of no particular value in this kind of discussion.
To me the key thing is that the base of the pyramid is as good quality as it has ever been while the stars are just that. Cheer cheer!
That's fair enough KC.

However I wasn't rating them based on who has impressed me most. ie. I agree that Rowbottom, Warner & Gulden have been incredibly impressive, and exceeded the expectations of their age and experience level. They've impressed me more than Heeney, who is much older and more experienced and should be delivering at the kind of elite level he has been this year. But I was rating the players purely on their performance this year and, like you say, how they've performed in their role. And I just couldn't possibly say that any of those three have been better than Heeney this year.

That's fair enough KC.

However I wasn't rating them based on who has impressed me most. ie. I agree that Rowbottom, Warner & Gulden have been incredibly impressive, and exceeded the expectations of their age and experience level. They've impressed me more than Heeney, who is much older and more experienced and should be delivering at the kind of elite level he has been this year. But I was rating the players purely on their performance this year and, like you say, how they've performed in their role. And I just couldn't possibly say that any of those three have been better than Heeney this year.
No argument on that front. Heeney has outperformed his previous best by some distance! And over the season so far most objective indicators have him ahead of just about everybody, not just Swans.
Once you get past the first half dozen or so it becomes very subjective.

No argument on that front. Heeney has outperformed his previous best by some distance! And over the season so far most objective indicators have him ahead of just about everybody, not just Swans.
Once you get past the first half dozen or so it becomes very subjective.
I was really looking forward to seeing if McInerney could get himself into that very top tier. IMO he's been right on the brink of it, doing a lot of classy things and also a lot of the unseen, team-oriented things. But I just think he's got big, game-breaking performances in him, the potential to be in the coaches votes on the regular. And I think he was building towards that and could've potentially brought it all together at the right time of the year. Alas, not to be... :huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor Zak Jones copping it

GSby4ZRWcAAWwkB.jpg

I need your help peeps.

I lurked on BF for quite some years before signing up twelve years ago.

Once I did sign up, I mostly confined myself to this board, occasionally nipping over to the MB.

The MB racist pile-on onto Adam Goodes during the booing disgrace was a truly dismaying time to be on there, but I stood up for Goodesy, survived the onslaught, and since then it had been mostly OK.

Then a few years ago, bored during the off-season, I ventured onto the main board Society, Religion and Politics threads. I found all manner of interesting and stimulating discussion there. (Bewilderingly, I even sometimes found myself in furious agreement on non-football matters with some Hawthorn supporters.)

But it also gets very ugly and disappointing on there at times. There’s one poster (who is actually an admin! - so you can't block them) who, though I suspect I align with on many things politically, represents to me everything bad about the side of us human beings that social media brings out.

It all came to a head about the same time I had a brush with my own mortality, which, as is often the case, caused me to re-evaluate my priorities.

I realised BF was giving me more grief than pleasure, and I signed out. And I felt good.

Since then, until recently, I've lurked, felt much better about things, and easily resisted the temptation to sign on and comment.

But then recently I signed back on, simply because that makes navigation round the pages so much easier (as the site then remembers what point you were up to in various threads etc.)

Also, by not signing in, I was having to read posts by a few people that I’d put on Ignore, and that was hard to cop sometimes. There's a few real jerks, frankly. Signing on meant I didn't have to see that crap, and plus I was sticking purely to football-related threads anyway.

All good, but of course you know where this is going …

Trump’s recent guilty verdict was just TOO delicious. I just HAD to see what people were saying over on the Trump thread. And it was very entertaining.

And then I posted a comment or two.

And I Liked a comment or two.

Did the same with the MB footy threads.

I’m slipping back into old habits, and I don't like where that took me last time.

So far, I haven't gotten into idiotic arguments with anonymous idiots on the internet, who think I'm also an idiot. Yet.

But it will happen.

I need your support, good people of the Swans board.

Please say to me:

Sydney Swans say don't be a dickhead to yourself SBD. STAY OFF THE MAIN BOARD SBD. STAY OFF THE SRP THREADS SBD.

Thanks in advance. All the best to you wonderful lot.

Someone has been a naughty boy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back