Preview Pre-match discussion Round 13 Carlton V Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're overlooking the function of such a switch forces upon the team.

Lucas in for Hadley forces Gibbs off of the HBF and into the role that Hadley typically plays.

When we looked the best in games such as v. Collingwood and v. North, is when he is in the centre extracting the ball.

This swap forces Ratten's hand.

Our full complement of defensive rebounders will be back with the likely inclusion of Bower and Lucas and having Walker and Russell play their familiar roles the back line will be adequately covered.

It's a great time for Gibbs to step up.

Every side does not 'need' a player of Hadley's type as part of their structure.

Spot on with Gibbs going into the middle. That was the point of dropping Hadley and including Lucas. I'm also not sold on the "token need" for a slow inside mid. Hadley and Mclean need to earn a spot based on merit, and I think there's others ahead of them right now - might change latter on in the season though. Gibbs is wasted in the back-half. Yes, his disposal is awesome, but his work in the middle is absolutely outstanding, and he's more damaging there. Really enjoyed Lucas's games across HB. His disposal is excellent, and has some serious leg speed plus endurance. Also fantastic overhead, and has a freaky Fisher-like-ability to read the flight of the ball that's helped him make some impressive spoils. He's a must in. Now the ruck situation. Jacob's has been far from terrible, but Hampson is going very well and IMO the Kruezer/Hampson ruck combo is our best. Hampson has the best chance of jumping over Sandilands next week, plus he has that X-factor if moved up forward. Kruezer's last game was ordinary, but his game against the Dees was very good. Can't drop him after one bad one. Also need to persist with AJ who was clearly carrying an injury, and got the yips after the umps targeted him in the first. He's an important player in our structure. Yaz is another must in. The Setanta/Hendo situation is interesting. Setanta's been struggling a little recently, and Hendo has shown good form in the 2's. But it'll be a big call to drop the leading goal-kicker. Setanta''s work at ground level has been good even when not kicking goals. Anyway, whatever happens we'll have a much stronger starting 22 next week with a fair few changes. Looking forward to it.

:)

Thornton------Jamison-------Bower

Russell--------Waite---------Walker

Scotland------McLean--------Lucas

Murphy------Hendersen------Simpson

Yarran--------Kreuzer--------Betts

Foll: Warnock Judd Gibbs

Bench: Hampson, White, Carrazzo, Robinson

B: Armfield, Jamieson, Walker
HB: Russell, Bower, Lucas
C: Waite, Gibbs, Simpson
HF: Houlihan, Henderson, Yarran
F: Betts, O'Hailpin, Garlett
Foll: Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy

Int: Jacobs, (Hadley or McLean), Carrazzo, + one of Thornton/Joseph/Scottland/Grigg

In: Yarran, Bower, Lucas, Henderson (McLean) (Grigg)
Out: Browne, Robinson, (Hadley) + 2 of bench.

I gave Hadley a vote this week, but if MC think McLean is a better option I won't be worried.

Absolutely have to bring in Yarran and Bower for Browne and Robinson.

I know a lot of people want to drop O'Hailpin, but I would give him another go. If we do choose to drop him, I think we have to bring in Hampson, play 3 rucks with Hampson predominantly as FF, but Kruezer there for small patches.

Thornton wasn't too bad, but if we bring in Lucas (as well as Bower), I can see him missing.

AJ had a shocker, but he has been pretty good until Friday night, so he should not necessarily be dropped for one bad game (although again, I can understand if he is).

B: Armfield - Jamison - Russell
HB: Scotland - Bower - Walker
C: Simpson - McLean - Gibbs
HF: Yarran - Waite - Houlihan
F: Betts - O'hAlphin - Garlett
FOLL: Kreuzer - Judd - Murphy
INC: Carrazzo - Joseph - Jacobs - Lucas

IN: Bower - Lucas - Yarran - McLean
OUT: Browne - Thornton - Robinson - Hadley

Get Carrazzo to tag Barlow done i thought very well on Harvey had 18 disposals. I think and hope our little fowards (Betts, Garlett & Yarran) will trouble Freo's backline. Hope Judd smashs Crowley i recond Armfield or Joseph will get the job on Ballantyne, McLean has been in the best the last 2 weeks in the 2nds and i think he will come up. Have to get Browne and Thornton out of the side, Thornton just goes side ways and we have 2 negative players like Browne in the side already(Joseph & Carrazzo).

All the talk about some players looking out of form and not up to it is correct. However no one has mentioned "Jamison" who is completely out of form and turns over the ball all too often.
Against North Melb, Browne, Jamison and Joseph all were terrible and need time in the two's.
I can hear the outcry about Jamison, but be truthful, he can only punch the ball at the moment and his kicking is worse than ever.
The real problem is we have nobody else to play FB.
If Austin was ready we could go back to the past and put Thornton at FB for a while. At least he can kick a ball most times.
My outs would be: Browne, Joseph, Hadley and Jamison.
My Ins would be: Grigg, Henderson, Bower and Yarran.
Thornton to FB, Scotland BP, Waite to wing and be our swingman.
Grigg to HBF, Henderson CHF, Yarran HFF.
:confused:

All the talk about some players looking out of form and not up to it is correct. However no one has mentioned "Jamison" who is completely out of form and turns over the ball all too often.
Against North Melb, Browne, Jamison and Joseph all were terrible and need time in the two's.
I can hear the outcry about Jamison, but be truthful, he can only punch the ball at the moment and his kicking is worse than ever.
"Jamison" has been terrible? :confused:

Maybe you can start yet another thread about Hampson playing CHB, not the position he plays with the Bullants.

Save it for Facebook.

Jamo has been in our top players on the ground every week this year. He is a gun.

Gibbs HAS TO play in the middle this week. Last week he won 3 clearances in a row as soon as he was put in the centre square. He is wasted in the backline.

Plus with Bower back the back 6 will still have enough run.

Carrazzo -> Barlow
Joseph (if he plays) -> Hill
Armfield -> Ballantyne

The real problem is we have nobody else to play FB.
If Austin was ready we could go back to the past and put Thornton at FB for a while. At least he can kick a ball most times.
My outs would be: Browne, Joseph, Hadley and Jamison.
My Ins would be: Grigg, Henderson, Bower and Yarran.
Thornton to FB, Scotland BP, Waite to wing and be our swingman.
Grigg to HBF, Henderson CHF, Yarran HFF.
:confused:

Jamison out & Thornton to FB? Whatever it is you are smoking, stop immediately. It is having a detrimental effect.

In all seriousness though, Jamison's disposal efficiency on Friday night was 88% (Thornton's was 82%) & he is averaging 84% for the season so far, which includes 2 games of 100% efficiency. More importantly, Jamo very rarely concedes a bag of goals to his opponent.

Looks like AJ will miss, Juddy is ok.

Setanta needs a break, but will be an important part of our team for this year.

I agree with Kreuz getting a two week break too. Warnock is the obvious choice to play against Sandilands.

Bower should come in, as well as Brock and Yarran. Would like to see Grigg's speed come in.

This team for mine:

B: Armfield, Jamison, Walker
HB: Russell, Bower, Scotland
C: Gibbs, Carazzo, Simpson
HF: Houlihan, Waite, Yarran
F: Betts, Henderson , Garlett
Foll: Warnock, Judd, Murphy

Int: Hadley/Brock, Jacobs, Lucas, Grigg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's space for Hadley/Mclean and Gibbs in the team, but the match committee might favour one tall midfielder.

Hadley played on more than Gibbs last week.

http://www.prowess.com.au/pro-stats/reports/match_report_89.pdf

67% to 57% of the time.

Gibbs, Lucas and Mclean played against the Cats, so we can carry another midfielder to take on Fremantle.

Thornton was serviceable last week, but Bower is the better footballer.

Obviously.

I think this game will be the first time this year that Walker would have played besides Bower at half back.

Will be great to see Bower, Armfield, Walker, Gibbs and Russell attacking off half back as a unit.

In: Lucas Bower Hampson Grigg
Out: Browne Thornton O'hAilpin Scotland

Might need a fresh big man to go up against Sandilands.

At the moment, I would prefer to play a 204 cm meat axe on Tarrant.

Henderson's time will come.

Browne needs to go back for his game, but the calls that he shouldn't play again this year are harsh.

Any money bloody Ratten wont bring in Bower & Lucas, Lucas got 22 touches in his 1st game back i recond he will be ready and the same with Bower.

Thought Jacobs was one of our best on Friday. Hadley was his usual good self in and under but didn't see him do alot else and I guess eddie kicking a few is note worthy although in the back of my mind I didn't think he was wonderful. Oh and smashing North in the clearances was nice although hardly worth it when it didn't translate to actual goals.
I think Krueze and AJ need a break and TBH not neccessarily in the 2's, just a break. A couple of weeks off for body repairs could give then some much needed spring.

So to in's and out's:
Out: AJ, Krueze, Browne, Thornton
in: Hammer (Has the leap to jump into/over Sandi to hopefully nullify his potency), Lucas, Bower, Yazza

B: Armfield - Jamison - Russell
HB: Lucas - Bower - Walker
C: Simpson - Hadley - Gibbs
HF: Yarran - Waite - Houlihan
F: Betts - O'hAlphin - Garlett
FOLL: Hammer - Judd - Murphy
INT: Carrazzo -Jacobs - Scotland

Could be persuaded to swap Hadley with Mclean but not fussed either way at the moment. From what I've read Mac didn't tear it up in the 2's.

Going to be a big challenge this week and if we can contain sandilands and pavlich then we will go along way to winning this game.

I am not sure who will go to Pav especially when he goes forward, he will be too big and strong for Gibbs.

I am coming round to the idea of resting Kruezer this week and bringing in Hammer to try and take on sandilands.

If bower is right I would bring him in for Thornton and Yarran in for the injured Robbo.

I think Browne needs a rest which is shame as I like the kid but he seems to have gone backwards and look lost on friday night. He is playing like he doesn't have a position and doesn't know when to attack the footy. One of his strengths was always his attack on the footy and the man but the way he went at Lindsay Thomas down in the pocket on friday night showed he is struggling.

If someone could put ballantyne to sleep it would make my week.

INS/OUTS
Bower - Thornton
Lucas - Joseph/Browne
Yarran - Robinson
Henderson - O'hAilpin

Bower, Lucas and Yarran are more creative and damaging which we really missed last night.

Hadley played well and won a lot of effective clearances, I don't think he will get dropped which means McLean may miss again. I wouldn't drop Scotland, his experience, decision making and disposal has been a key factor in the games we've won this year.

Not sure about Grigg - good form in the 2's doesn't mean much to MC at the moment. Has he improved his decision making and disposal.

Our goals last night were kicked by Betts (5), Waite (3), Irish (1) and Kreuzer (1). Our supposed elite midfield didn't kick a goal between them. They need to lift next week.

Agree with this post, except I'm not sure I would drop Irish just yet.

The thing with Irish is he takes the best defender regardless. Our forward line has room for both Irish and Hendo I think.

Bower - Thornton
Lucas - Browne
Yarran - Robinson
Henderson - ?

Thornton should never play a game for us again and neither should Browne. Robbo needs to do a little bit more to consolidate his spot in the best 22.

Garlett may need a spell as well but he gets one more week with Yazza to come in and help out.

We look far more dangerous as a side with a forward line of Irish, Waite, Hoops, Betts, Yarran and Garlett. Rotate Hendo, Irish and Waite and all of a sudden we create more options for ourselves and make it that little bit harder to match up on too.

Having Bower back really balances our backline as well.

We need to bring our structure back this week and get back on the winners list!

B: Armfield Jamison Russell
HB: Scotland Bower Walker
C: Simpson Murphy Waite
HF: Houlihan Henderson Yarran
F: Garlett O'hAilpin Betts
Foll: Kreuzer Gibbs Judd

I: Jacobs Lucas Joseph Carrazzo

Thornton should never play a game for us again and neither should Browne.
Pathetic observation. :thumbsdown:

Everyone was calling for Russell's head after 23 games, yet a few supporters are writing off Browne.

I hope we pick a few harder players with "shit on the liver" who can add some steel to the side.

Swallow was running free with Robinson almost jogging behind him, yet Robinson found an extra gear to smash Swallow after he received the ball on the run. For a player who won't ever win a foot race, Robinson is capable of finding another gear and catching quicker players.

Robinson should stay in the squad if he's fit.

Scotland always appear to go missing in a loss.

One of those players whose form is conspicuous in a loss.

Grigg's bigger body in for Scotland.

Grigg showed some leadership in the VFL last week to flame Hampson for not going in hard enough at a contest.

Hampson put Coad in hospital with his attack on the next contest.

Would like to see Grigga play Scotland's role this week.

We'll probably come out and win this week because Fremantle will be the hunted.

Pathetic observation. :thumbsdown:

Everyone was calling for Russell's head after 23 games, yet a few supporters are writing off Browne.

I hope we pick a few harder players with "shit on the liver" who can add some steel to the side.

Swallow was running free with Robinson almost jogging behind him, yet Robinson found an extra gear to smash Swallow after he received the ball on the run. For a player who won't ever win a foot race, Robinson is capable of finding another gear and catching quicker players.

Robinson should stay in the squad if he's fit.

Scotland always appear to go missing in a loss.

One of those players whose form is conspicuous in a loss.

Grigg's bigger body in for Scotland.

Grigg showed some leadership in the VFL last week to flame Hampson for not going in hard enough at a contest.

Hampson put Coad in hospital with his attack on the next contest.

Would like to see Grigga play Scotland's role this week.

We'll probably come out and win this week because Fremantle will be the hunted.

Scotland has been in our top 5 best players this season, dropping him unless injured would be more harsh than anyone else getting dropped.

Thornton should never play a game for us again and neither should Browne.

I get the calls for Bower to replace Thornton because he is clearly a better player but as for Thornton never playing for us again I really don't understand, apart from the Hawks game he's been ok since he came back into the team and I thought he was alright against the Roos. Very hand depth player to have on the list if the MC don't have him in the best 22. I think for now the 6th spot in the back line is between him and Joseph depending on needs.

Few changes this week.Lets not panic.
Grigg only should come back .

Everyone had a bad game against the Roos.

Only those who have been finding alot of the ball in the Bullants should get thier turn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Pre-match discussion Round 13 Carlton V Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back