Status
Not open for further replies.

PSD
1: Tom Bellchambers
2: Patrick McGinnity

Rookie
1: Aaron Joseph
2: Ashley Arrowsmith

Interesting. Do you think Joseph will slip to our pick in the Rookie draft? Should we go this way?
2: Aaron Joseph

Rookie
1: Patrick McGinnity

either way I like the selection of players. From what i've heard I do like the sound of McGinnity and hope he ends up at EFC.

Oh ok. Didn't think that would impact the Rookie List.

If your interested the reason it impacts the rookie list is because a couple of years ago the AFL decided to make the Rookie/vets situation a little more flexible. So now there's that external rookie/vets list which is up to 6 players long, 2 of which can be vets. So you can list your vets on the main list if you just want the salary cap savings, and have 6 rookies (additionally you may not have any players who qualify for veterans status). Or if you want to free up an extra spot on the playing list then you can have a vet on the rookie/vets list (which is how we had it iirc until yesterday) but a maximum of 5 rookies, or 2 vets/4 rookies.

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Interesting. Do you think Joseph will slip to our pick in the Rookie draft? Should we go this way?
2: Aaron Joseph

Rookie
1: Patrick McGinnity

either way I like the selection of players. From what i've heard I do like the sound of McGinnity and hope he ends up at EFC.

I've been very surprised by a lot of the players that slid this year and probably shows how little i know about them or what a poor judge i am compared to those that really do know.

I chose Bellchambers mainly because Knighter mentioned needing a ruckman, (although i don't believe we do and should wait until next year), and he is training with us.
He has shown improvement in some areas of deficiencies this year, so surely he would be worth a punt.
There are other ruckman that could be considered here also of course but since he training with us he would be a chance.

McGinnity was chosen merely for the fact that i am convinced that he become a league footballer.

foj1 correctly pointed out that we have a few of his types but i am working on the theory that IF he can make a league footballer then he is worth taking.
Plenty of kids don't make the grade, so if you could get one that will, you are doing well and i'm convinced he will.
He has a lot going for him and of course Windy Hill is just like home for WA boys now so he will fit right in.

The rookies are just really speculative guesses but i think Joseph might be available, but in this years draft it's hard to say as theres been a lot of surprises both ways i think.

If your interested the reason it impacts the rookie list is because a couple of years ago the AFL decided to make the Rookie/vets situation a little more flexible. So now there's that external rookie/vets list which is up to 6 players long, 2 of which can be vets. So you can list your vets on the main list if you just want the salary cap savings, and have 6 rookies (additionally you may not have any players who qualify for veterans status). Or if you want to free up an extra spot on the playing list then you can have a vet on the rookie/vets list (which is how we had it iirc until yesterday) but a maximum of 5 rookies, or 2 vets/4 rookies.

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes, but I'm happy to be corrected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If people on here are keen on McGinnity would you take him at 5 in the PSD and hope Bellchambers slips to 8? pick 6 and 7 are Freo and WC. I'm not sure if either club from the West is after a developing ruckman.

If they are keen on McGinnity then yes thay had better take him first because one of the WA clubs may well have more than a passing interest in him.

If they are keen on McGinnity then yes thay had better take him first because one of the WA clubs may well have more than a passing interest in him.

If we don't take McGinnity with our 1st pick (Which I'm hoping we will take him), expect the WA clubs to swoop. With our 2nd pick, we should go after one of these two ruckman : Bellchambers & Renton. So McGinnity with our 1st pick & Bellchambers with our 2nd. (I'm hoping) Looks like a good day at the office if we land them two players.....

we shouldn't take bellchambers in the PSD, because he will still be around in the rookie draft. all the clubs that have picks in the PSD or the rookie draft above us have no need for another ruckman

i'm hoping for something like this:
PSD
1. Collard
2. McGinnity

Rookie Draft
1. Bellchambers
2. Arrowsmith

we shouldn't take bellchambers in the PSD, because he will still be around in the rookie draft. all the clubs that have picks in the PSD or the rookie draft above us have no need for another ruckman

i'm hoping for something like this:
PSD
1. Collard
2. McGinnity

Rookie Draft
1. Bellchambers
2. Arrowsmith

But then we'd have to put Bellchambers on our rookie list.
And we wouldn't have a backup ruckman.

If one of the ruckman (Hille or Laycock) got injured you could then promote the rookie to the senior list. I'd be happy with either Bellchambers or Renton. Worst case scenario you have Ryder as back up.
Doesnt work like that. Laycock/Hille might only be injured for 2-3 weeks and they cant go to the LTI (Long-term injury list). LTI allows you to put a rookie in the senior side. We need to take a ruckman with either pick 5 or 8 in the PSD

But then we'd have to put Bellchambers on our rookie list.
And we wouldn't have a backup ruckman.

I would be extremely surprised if Tom Bellchambers played senior football next season, regardless of whether he's on our senior list or not.

The guy would only last about a quarter before being burnt out almost entirely. He has a very low fitness base.

The same applies for just about any other ruckman we'll be looking at. They're either not ready physically or don't have the fitness base.

Ryder would be streets ahead as back up ruckman at this stage and we'd bring in a tall defender to cover for him if a ruckman is to go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back