Pre-season training. Bring it on! - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking of getting along to this next week (as alluded to in last thread).

http://19thman.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=95

Good pick of Stabby and Rory about half way down as well :D:thumbsu:

When did Stabby get the chance to do that?

Cheers for the reports all, very informative, especially like the emphasis on tackling and not just trying to slow the man but attack him head on and not want him to be the one in possession of the ball in fear of being crunched. Here is hoping for some more cheap goals this year on turnovers from our tackles sticking :thumbsu:

When do intra club matches normally start? Looking forward to reading some reports on how some of the guys are going in more game type conditions.

We used to play Norwood instead of doing the traditional intra-club game. Then the plug got pulled on that game back in 2010 and we opted to go into the MMC without a hitout - only to get slaughtered and go 0-6 at the start of the season. Not sure what happened last year.

Sando will probably have different ideas about preparing the team as well, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the intra-club game being instituted this year.

We used to play Norwood instead of doing the traditional intra-club game. Then the plug got pulled on that game back in 2010 and we opted to go into the MMC without a hitout - only to get slaughtered and go 0-6 at the start of the season. Not sure what happened last year.

Sando will probably have different ideas about preparing the team as well, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the intra-club game being instituted this year.

We had an intra club last year i went. Jimmy Sellar played on Tippett and kept him near kickless :eek: Tambo played okay and i sat next to S.Rowe who was very unimpressed with the standard and gameplan. Was bagging Craigy the whole time, very different to his onair attitude :eek:

Luke had a later start to the season than his peers due to playing with the Eagles in the SANFL Grandfinal. His performances during the finals were mixed but he showed that there is plenty of talent to work with. His mark late in the GF was match savings. I am still bullish about his long term future.

I suspect that one part of our low profile preseason is that we haven't reported who has injuries. He may have some niggle which is affecting him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may be wrong but i remember that before Kite was delisted there were alot of comments made about him just running laps separated from everyone else and no one really knowing what was wrong with him etc. I've seen a few posts similar about Luke Thompson this preseason which is why I posted about the similarities.

I'm in no position to make a call on his attitude or flavor of the month etc and probably way off base & jumping at shadows, but thought i would ask the question

Found this while looking for info on the Berri Community Camp that runs from February 16-17:

Defender Luke Thompson was rectricted to skills work as he recovers from a lingering ankle complaint.

Thompson had his left ankle immobilised over the Christmas break, but has stepped up his rehabilitation and is expected to return to full training in the coming fortnight.

Link to the article is here:
http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/127837/default.aspx

If you want to know about the training camp for the younger players that occurred about a week ago, and was often mentioned on Twitter, here's an article on that too:
http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/127869/default.aspx

Big Tex tweeting that it was the hardest sesh of pre season so far today! I guess the heat would have made things a bit harder.

I was able to get down to training today so will give my opinion on what I noticed today.

From a distance when the players were warming up I noticed a really dark skin lad running around. I knew straight away it wasn't any of our other indigenous lads due to the tone in his skin so I started thinking who it may be.
Once he ran over closer to me I realised it was young Immanuel Irra from South Adelaide. Once I knew it was him I knew he was obviously here for the week as part of the AIS program. I also know we normally take on two of them lads so my eyes starting darting and soon enough I spotted the very short Ben Kennedy from Glenelg.
For both these kids, this week would hold mixed feelings I would assume. Simply because they were both eligeble and nominated for the GWS mini draft where we selected Brad Crouch. I bet they would be loving every minute training with the club but at the same time would be wondering what it would be like if they were selected instead of Crouch.
Both lads competed in alot of the drills but stayed out of the mini game.
It was funny watching one drill where Kennedy gained possesion of the ball and Truck pushed him front on to put him out of bounds. However Truck pushed him about 3 metres back. Welcome to AFL training Ben :D.
Both boys have great foot skills and I can see them both going early in next years draft.

One of the most notable things I took from today was the drills the players were made to do. Every one (bar the normal kick to kick and so on drills) were based on beating an opponent and contested footy work.

The main training started with the 5 minute runs. They were done different to what I have seen previously as they were grouped into 3 different groups of fitness. I assume what times they had done in the past counrted towards what group they ran with.
The first group was mainly the bigger blokes and Matty Jaensch won that one.
The second group was taken out by Sam Shaw followed by Hendo.
The fittest group was won easily by VB followed by Martyn, Kerridge, Danger and McIntyre. One of the pleasing parts of that group were the amount of young mids in it. Grigg, Brown, Kerridge were all mid pack or above.

The main thing I really focused on today was the mini game they played.

Once again I was really impressed by Mitch Grigg and the way he uses his body in traffic. His composure and foot skills standout on the track. I noticed they had him playing at half back. At one stage he looked to be done in a tackle by Danger coming at him front on. Instead he turned nicely, pushed Danger off and nailed a kick 40 metres away. He done all tht with 3 opponents closing on him.

Sam Kerridge didn't partake in the mini game but I am really impressed with his body size already. A midfielder his size that has great endurance is something to be excited about.

Thats a quick summary but i'm happy to answer any questions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-season training. Bring it on! - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back