Game Day Pre-Season - West Coast vs Adelaide (Fri)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I’m not 100% sold on both Murray and Butts. Makes the McAsey debacle sting even more. If he hits and becomes that elite intercepting CHB it suddenly makes the backline look so much better.
Murray exceed my expectations last night. Not that they were overly high, but I thought he was pretty good as was our defense overall. If Murray can produce this consistently and continue on an upward trajectory, that will be a huge plus for us.

Again..

Like Scott Welsh, Pavlich was from a different era..

The games changed..

Your KPF’s of the past were 185-195cm tall..

The modern KPF is 194/195cm plus.

Hell, dunstall and lockett were 188 and 191 respectively..

The game has evolved to have/rely on taller players in both the forward line and midfield..

Yes and no. The game has changed no doubt but if you put Plugger at FF now ahead of a decent midfield he'd still be a monster.

I've never seen Welsh Jnr, but I keep seeing his strengths listed as strength and burst speed. Despite the taller trend in AFL KPF I think a shorter lead-up type with the right skillset can be successful if he's good enough. Extra height is not much use if you're chasing a guy from a couple meters behind.

Murray exceed my expectations last night. Not that they were overly high, but I thought he was pretty good as was our defense overall. If Murray can produce this consistently and continue on an upward trajectory, that will be a huge plus for us.
Yes. He was much sounder than previously, while maintaining his hulk pluses.

You mean the guy who's rocking a sub 15% contested one on one loss rate? The one who's already got a decent highlight reel of contested marks? Booming long kick? Uber-aggressive? That guy?

That'll age just as bad as my calls on Fogarty a couple of years back.
We talking Murray ? He’s looking great and another powerful weapon we have coming on in leaps and bounds

I’d have him in my team any day of the week

We talking Murray ? He’s looking great and another powerful weapon we have coming on in leaps and bounds

I’d have him in my team any day of the week
His disposal could be shakey at times, but that looks to have been cleaned up now. His defending is already in the elite category across the major stat lines, especially one on one contests.

I am surprised anyone has doubts on Murray. His defending has always been very good (he is in elite territory for one on one contest wins), the issue was his decision making with ball in hand, but that seems to have improved.

Always have Keane as good backup if Butts/Murray drop off/get injured. Also still have Worrell to come back in. Not at all worried about our KPD stocks, even if Doedee leaves.

Yeah, Murray is developing well as the 2nd KPD. Tough, great defensive work, seems to be developing more of an offensive game

What we need is a bonafide outright best KPD, ideally with a more than competent offensive game as well as being a good defender. One of Butts or Murray either needs to dramatically improve or be at risk of being replaced by a newcomer - and right now, I’m liking Murray’s development trajectory better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The post game report from the sanfl game was that Thilthorpe was the main ruck with Borlase for support. He apparently rucked for much more of the game than they were planning and was apparently quite good. I'd say being no.1 ruck in the sanfl for a few weeks is a good move for his development, rather than throwing him in to ruck against people like Preuss immediately.

Murray looked solid, Butts has hardly been convincing so far.

When Worrell comes back, it may be Butts that makes way if the opposition don't have 2 huge forwards.

They have their moments but struggle to keep doing it. They still don't have the fitness that's required and the game plan is the same as it's always been There's nothing new or different about it and it doesn't work
Fair enough, but they should be playing finals this year. At a minimum

It's bizzare the AFL haven't just thrown the sink at them to get it done.

He was fairly solid towards the end of last year, in fact I found him much more reliable than Butts at that point in time. Hoping Butts bounces back a bit, both will be aided by more pressure up the ground as we've seen in preseason matches. Hopefully translates through as the season starts and then as it grinds on and our younger guys get sore & tired.

Hard to be a gun defender when the pressure up ground, particular on spread from the midfield is low, keeps them under siege a lot. Hopefully we'll take some big strides in this area this year.

Me waiting for TT to come on.

Mr Bean Reaction GIF
A tv news crew (Nine I think) had a camera on the team bus as the lads arrived at Lathlain Park. As TT was getting off the bus he looked a little sheepish or embarrassed (that he wasn’t in the starting side?) or maybe he’s just camera shy.

A little sheepish…

Hopping The Incredible Dr Pol GIF by Nat Geo Wild

Later on…

nyc slice GIF by F*CK, THAT'S DELICIOUS

And here's my point in all of this: there were plenty of people who were wrong about Fogarty. The receipts exist, so there's no point just pretending that's not the case. And it's ok to have been wrong.

Just don't militantly repeat the same mistakes with Thilthorpe, and blindly defend poor handling and attack the kid because he's not instantly a superstar. He's shown more than enough to deserve investment. He needs AFL football and plenty of it.

It took Melbourne 8 years and it took drafting and recruiting (we have done some of it with Dawson and Rankine).

We are getting there and I’m literally looking forward to this season. The forward line on its own has me excited.

Reckon if we progress as we expect the last few games of the season from round 15 I think, we will be getting good times for our games.

The post game report from the sanfl game was that Thilthorpe was the main ruck with Borlase for support. He apparently rucked for much more of the game than they were planning and was apparently quite good. I'd say being no.1 ruck in the sanfl for a few weeks is a good move for his development, rather than throwing him in to ruck against people like Preuss immediately.

Wouldn’t want to put him up against Pruess. He hurts people - deliberately and by accident. Much rather ROB clash with him
Gave away 7 frees v GC

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Pre-Season - West Coast vs Adelaide (Fri)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back