Unofficial Preview Prelim discussion v Demons/Blues / Gunston watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gunners as sub. Fagan won't bring him on till last 4-5 minutes and it won't matter by then either way.
If we are unlucky and get an early injury could Gunston run out the game after no game time for over a month, the opposition backs would be running off him willy nilly.

Is this our biggest game since 2004?

It's the 3rd time we have made a prelim with this group and we are looking primed now more than ever. Expectations are probably the highest they have been and it certainly feels like we belong in the GF this year.
Like it or not if we lose no matter the circumstances we’ll be branded chokers by all and sundry.

Sorry mate I just fixed that up. It should read as the following:

Jack Gunston factor
With Gunston Without Gunston
Points scored 89.2 112.3
Score per inside 50 44% 50%

As I said in a follow up post, we aren’t averaging much more going inside 50, percentage wise, but somehow we’re averaging 4 more goals a game without him there.
Its even worse when you consider Gunston got to play (and feast out) in the easiest game of the year against WCE. Take that game out and I suspect it would look even worse.

Also its total hindsight but I kind of think if Gunston didn't play against WCE, Daniher might have kicked a bag that game (just as easily could have been any other player to be fair). If Daniher had kicked another 6 then I reckon he might have got AA selection

I'm tipping we go with this for the Prelim >

Ins- Jack Gunston, Daniel Rich, Jarryd Lyons.

Outs- Dev Robertson, Jaspa Fletcher, Callum Ah Chee.

See if we can quickly list Birchall as a Cat C rookie as well and bring him in for Wilmot

Is this our biggest game since 2004?

It's the 3rd time we have made a prelim with this group and we are looking primed now more than ever. Expectations are probably the highest they have been and it certainly feels like we belong in the GF this year.
in my opinion it is, I know we have reached other recent preliminary finals but as a supporter it feels we would have under achieved if we fail to win this one.

If the coaches wants Gunston over Dev I'm looking to back them in. They have earned that.

Dev was very unimpressive last night with the ball. Missed so many handballs. 7 touches for only one tackle. He was given 8 CBAs too.

I'd back him in to respond, but I absolutely think Gunston would make us a better team than Dev does - it's more a matter of whether doing so would hurt our structure which I would not want to risk.

Either way, the coaches know what they're doing and will make the best call I am certain. Either way - playing Gunston or Dev will not change the result of the prelim.
I think it is easy to say Dev looked unimpressive and just look at the stats but he was one of our best runners and was often in a position that stopped an easy outlet or did just enough to hold Port up. Gunston doesn't do that for us. That's part of the reason the setup works IMO. We covered 8km more than Port on the weekend. That drops once Gunston is selected.

Some of us have already wrapped up our Grand Final tickets and we still don't know when our Prelim is. Absolute bush league stuff. Even the NRL is more organised than this and they have international border requirements to consider.

Jay Clark reported on twitter Pies will be Fri night and we will be Sat, time to be confirmed.

If we are unlucky and get an early injury could Gunston run out the game after no game time for over a month, the opposition backs would be running off him willy nilly.

Won't be any different to Lyons as sub early and opposition running off him.
We have to take a risk somewhere.

See if we can quickly list Birchall as a Cat C rookie as well and bring him in for Wilmot
Does that mean we can also list Bastinac as a Cat D rookie to replace Fletcher then.

Our happy family is coming back together, slowly but surely again :$

I doubt they'd be running off him after he kicks his 5th goal in the second quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of us have already wrapped up our Grand Final tickets and we still don't know when our Prelim is. Absolute bush league stuff. Even the NRL is more organised than this and they have international border requirements to consider.
i don't follow the NRL much anymore.
However, i am not sure the NRL get things right for members either.
They just played an EF Sharks v Roosters at a stadium that only holds 12,500
Sold out of course.
Sharks were granted the home ground advantage but lost the game by 1 point anyhow.

I

I have some reservations about Lyons in the team along the lines of others - think he is a good sub, although if we play Melbourne Fort has to be in the team of sub (sub my preference) so Lyons would miss out

BUT this moment was just fantastic. Loved the look of joy and he was mobbed like a first-gamer. He has kept his head up throughout and never shown any sign of toys out of the cot.
Players clearly love him and if what I have read on here is true, he has a semi-coaching role with the mids, so that makes sense as to why they all love him IMO.

The only negative about Gunston IMO is that we don't have 23 of him.

22 Gunstons plus a Gunston as a tactical sub would be utterly formidable.
But who would he come on for???

The only negative about Gunston IMO is that we don't have 23 of him.

22 Gunstons plus a Gunston as a tactical sub would be utterly formidable.
Hmm 22 Gunstons vs 22 Cams or Charlies or better yet imagine a field with 22 Joes on it ... lots of running, talent, and awesome kicking and zero frees for for the entire game to add to Trivia Nights for decades to come!

I was just looking at the Club website and there was a great report on the Reserves Semi-Final win over Williamstown. It struck me that if Gunston can get himself fit, he should be dedicating himself to ensuring the Reserves win their upcoming Preliminary and hopefully Grand Final.
As the story goes, it was Gunston who came to Fagan and asked not to be selected after the Rd.13 loss to Hawthorn. Well perhaps he should put the club first and ask to be included in the Reserves team as part of their Premiership tilt.

Jay Clark reported on twitter Pies will be Fri night and we will be Sat, time to be confirmed.
I wonder how long until the airlines start ramping up flights! Same old story every year, yet nothing gets done about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back