Unofficial Preview Prelim discussion v Demons/Blues / Gunston watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great stuff thanks for sharing. This table above looks to be missing a stat on the bottom line. Should there be two %'s there?
Yep, sorry mate missed the percentage.

The biggest discrepancy in regards to any of those stats, is just how many more points we score when he’s not there. I found that quite interesting tbh.

I'm a huge believer that you can win or lose games at the selection table, and if Gunston is picked can't see us winning.
I don't get why it's even a discussion point.

The media scribes don't even watch the games , there's just a few stirrers on BF who want something to talk about ,and then those close to the club who try to make out that he adds to the team.

If it were anyone else they wouldn't even be in the conversation.

Gunston hasn’t played game since august 12.

Just completed his first training session.

And we are thinking of putting him straight in to a prelim and skipping the opportunity for some actual match practice to see if, oh i dunno, he is actually capable of performing?

I used to get tired of the whole ‘pets’ debate but you might as well put a collar on gunston. What a farce.

And we blunt Rayner as a result. Our best finals X factor.

The reason we brought Gunston to the club was to have a cool head in the locker room ,the experience , the teachings and learnings if you like.

I think we did that and McCluggage put it all quickly to bed in that interview.

Without directly saying what most think

Great stuff thanks for sharing. This table above looks to be missing a stat on the bottom line. Should there be two %'s there?
Sorry mate I just fixed that up. It should read as the following:

Jack Gunston factor
With Gunston Without Gunston
Points scored 89.2 112.3
Score per inside 50 44% 50%

As I said in a follow up post, we aren’t averaging much more going inside 50, percentage wise, but somehow we’re averaging 4 more goals a game without him there.

"Gunston, meanwhile, completed a full training session on Tuesday and could return next week from an MCL injury suffered in Round 22.
He won't play this weekend in the VFL - despite being available - with the club opting to keep him in training. The 31-year-old has played 17 games in his first season for the Lions to boot 22 goals."

The Office Crying GIF

Now that we're in a prelim, got to say I'm enjoying people getting irrationally annoyed about possible Gunston selection talk. Will keep me entertained during this week off.

Now that we're in a prelim, got to say I'm enjoying people getting irrationally annoyed about possible Gunston selection talk. Will keep me entertained during this week off.
The team is working pretty well at the moment so it would be a massive call from the coaching staff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get why it's even a discussion point.

The media scribes don't even watch the games , there's just a few stirrers on BF who want something to talk about ,and then those close to the club who try to make out that he adds to the team.

If it were anyone else they wouldn't even be in the conversation.

He's a three time flag winning proven finals player. It is abundantly clear why the coaches would consider bringing him in.

I am on the record for being against bringing him back now, but we'd be damn fools if we pretend like it would be a stupid, thoughtless decision of the club opts to go that way.

I hope we don't, but I trust the club on this one and hope they make the right decision: lord knows they're much more qualified than any of us (especially BRAB )

Your existence here seems to be a lot of cheap laughs.

Just an observation.

Marty there is no need to be snippy in what could be your last week here if Gunners is picked next week. Use the time you have to be positive

Sorry mate I just fixed that up. It should read as the following:

Jack Gunston factor
With Gunston Without Gunston
Points scored 89.2 112.3
Score per inside 50 44% 50%

As I said in a follow up post, we aren’t averaging much more going inside 50, percentage wise, but somehow we’re averaging 4 more goals a game without him there.
Yeah so that indicates to me that we are also getting more inside 50s, AND/OR we are getting better quality shots at goal.

If it's the former, assuming everything else remains the same, it's because we're putting better pressure on the opposition when they attempt to rebound out of our 50. Thus we get more repeat entries due to regaining possession more often.

If it's the latter, it's likely because our forward line is more open. This is either caused by everyone getting up the ground, emptying out our forward line so that when we do get it in there, we have open one on ones on the move and it's easier to kick to the advantage of our forwards. Given Gunston's relative lack of mobility, this is harder to do when he's on the field.

It's also possible that getting better quality shots at goal is also due our forwards working more cohesively with regards to their leading patterns etc. If that is the case it's a very clear case of Gunston's influence... but in an OFF-FIELD coaching sense.

So I mean, choose your own path through all the numbers, the outcome is the same: we're a better team in attack without Gunston and I also reckon we're better defensively.

Shall we mark you down as Mod-on-duty on selection night then...? :)

Is this our biggest game since 2004?

It's the 3rd time we have made a prelim with this group and we are looking primed now more than ever. Expectations are probably the highest they have been and it certainly feels like we belong in the GF this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back