Preliminary Final - Western Bulldogs vs GWS - Ticketing/Travel thread

Will you be going to Spotless Paddock if you can get a match ticket?

• Yes, from interstate, flying

Votes: 40 29.6%
  • Yes, from interstate, by bus/car/train

Votes: 30 22.2%
  • Yes, from NSW/ACT

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • No, but will be there in Spirit

Votes: 48 35.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Am flying up on a 2pm Qantas flight (arrives 3.25pm). Anyone else on that flight want to share a cab from the airport to the game?
Apparently a cab across Sydney from the airport to Spotless at that time is going to cost $80-100 and take an hour or more. The trains across Sydney are free with your match ticket, although I think it costs $13 to exit the airport by train and there is a need to change trains either once or twice. I'm going with the train option, my flight lands at 1:30 pm.

Am flying up on a 2pm Qantas flight (arrives 3.25pm). Anyone else on that flight want to share a cab from the airport to the game?

Don't do it at that time.

Costs $13 to get from the airport to Olympic Park Station

Train 1: Platform 1 (domestic airport)
Train 2: Platform 18/19
Train 3: Lidcombe sprint station

You are there within 30mins easily

Do I need the Sydney equivalent of a Myki card, or just my game day ticket?

Thanks for your help in relation to the trains.

Game day ticket but you'll need to purchase station pass from staff/machine separately
What is a "station pass" exactly? Is that the $13 ticket to get out of the airport?

My flight back is on Sunday, is that going to be a separate situation that I have to pay for? Or does my match day ticket cover that trip also?

EDIT: found the answer to this. Match day ticket is good for travel only until 4:00 am on Sunday morning.

Last edited:

Thanks for that, Had a look on the transport NSW site and it is telling me the quickest way is the 3.44pm (arrives 3.54) to Central and then catch the 4.03pm to Olympic Park arriving at 4.28pm, only two trains, other options are all close to an hour at that time.

Thanks for that, Had a look on the transport NSW site and it is telling me the quickest way is the 3.44pm (arrives 3.54) to Central and then catch the 4.03pm to Olympic Park arriving at 4.28pm, only two trains, other options are all close to an hour at that time.
the 16:03 service from Central to Olympic Park is (as it stands) the only direct service on that day. If you miss that, you'd have to go [wherever]-->Central-->Lidcombe-->Olympic Park.

http://www.transportnsw.info/en/tra...nt-Article/data/2016/09/giants-v-bulldogs.xml
  • Special supporters trains will run from:
    • Hornsby at 15:37, stopping all stations to Olympic Park via Epping and Strathfield.
    • Central at 16:03, stopping at Redfern, Strathfield and Olympic Park.
  • You can also catch a train to Lidcombe Station then head to Platform Zero for a direct service to Olympic Park, running every 10 minutes until kick off.

Yes - to get in/out of domestic airport station.

Match ticket is valid until 04:00am the next day so unfortunately you'll have to pay for that. (http://www.transportnsw.info/en/tra...nt-Article/data/2016/09/giants-v-bulldogs.xml)
Thanks, yeah I found that page just earlier.

So given I'm going to need an Opal card for my Sunday travel - what is my best option to get one of these after I land at the airport? It looks like they are sold at Central Station, but what do I do between the airport and Central?

the 16:03 service from Central to Olympic Park is (as it stands) the only direct service on that day. If you miss that, you'd have to go [wherever]-->Central-->Lidcombe-->Olympic Park.

http://www.transportnsw.info/en/tra...nt-Article/data/2016/09/giants-v-bulldogs.xml
  • Special supporters trains will run from:
    • Hornsby at 15:37, stopping all stations to Olympic Park via Epping and Strathfield.
    • Central at 16:03, stopping at Redfern, Strathfield and Olympic Park.
  • You can also catch a train to Lidcombe Station then head to Platform Zero for a direct service to Olympic Park, running every 10 minutes until kick off.
Thanks, will just see how I go with the 4.03 from Central. If it looks too tight will go the other way around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks, yeah I found that page just earlier.

So given I'm going to need an Opal card for my Sunday travel - what is my best option to get one of these after I land at the airport? It looks like they are sold at Central Station, but what do I do between the airport and Central?
You can either get a one-off Opal (available from machines at Domestic Airport(1)), or get a regular opal from a retailer in the airport, either a newsagent or Domestic Airport station booking office(2).

(1) https://www.opal.com.au/en/get-an-opal-card/opal-single-tickets/
(2) http://retailers.opal.com.au/

I'm not going to get into a running slanging match on another team's board so I'll leave it here, but surely people can see the relationship between the growth of the Swans in Sydney in the past 25 years and consistent success and then apply it to what the plan clearly is for the Giants.

The AFL are doing nothing more than what they did during the mid 80's when they completely turned a blind eye to the salary cap in the hope that the Swans would buy a few flags and some fans. Just substitute Edelsten's cash for first round draft picks.

And as for my club and its survival, you're about five years too late.
You are right this isn't the place for this discussion. Edelstein bought the Swans in 1985. The salary cap was introduced in 1987 so I don't know what you are talking about. All the best with the re-build

Remember to check the platform it is leaving Central from. Walked aimlessly around Central station a few times

LukeParkerno1 any idea mate? Just wanna prepare myself for the disappointment if they're only serving middies

Sorry been out in meetings all afternoon.

Generally they are mid strength but they aren't the bad mid strength.

There are a few pubs in Lidcombe if you are coming in via the train they do good beers and cocktails.

Yep those are the direct trains to Olympic Park they leave close to game day.

Do I need the Sydney equivalent of a Myki card, or just my game day ticket?

Thanks for your help in relation to the trains.

Game day ticket is fine and just pay the $13 fee getting out of the airport- there are ticket booths at the airport.

I'm staying in the city and am catching a train from central.
Do I need one of those opal cards or will my footy ticket be all good?

The ticket to the footy is all you need if you are staying in the city.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preliminary Final - Western Bulldogs vs GWS - Ticketing/Travel thread

Back