B Section Premier B 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on Bedders, it’s great for the VAFA that all of the APS and dare I say, AGS schools are in the competition, without them, where would we all be?

I say Hooray to all of the private schools having teams in our great competition, the district clubs have had it all of their way for years!

If a district club can’t keep their player, who has been there since Auskick, then it’s the district clubs problem! We all know about Ormond juniors vs Ormond seniors, perhaps you should both kiss and make up?

All for one and one for all I say, come and play in the great VAFA!

Come on Bedders, it’s great for the VAFA that all of the APS and dare I say, AGS schools are in the competition, without them, where would we all be?

I say Hooray to all of the private schools having teams in our great competition, the district clubs have had it all of their way for years!

If a district club can’t keep their player, who has been there since Auskick, then it’s the district clubs problem! We all know about Ormond juniors vs Ormond seniors, perhaps you should both kiss and make up?

Isn't it $$$$$ and jobs through the old boy network V bugger all to offer except comradeship.

Just shows how little you know , the relationship between both is outstanding , there was only a minor problem when a certain ex Saints trainer was in charge and he was shown the door quick smart.

We on't have the same contacts
I’ve said this before but it was not that many years ago that Ormond, Hampton Rovers and Oakleigh were in B grade with Trinity, St Bernards, Uni Blacks, OM’s and SKOBs. Certainly very difficult but not impossible.
It is now with the old schoolboy network out of control, We might as well get out of it in the future , as the ego's are out of control.

We on't have the same contacts

It is now with the old schoolboy network out of control, We might as well get out of it in the future , as the ego's are out of control.

Absolutely agree with that. Last few years it has gone to another level and in time I can see A grade being comprised exclusively of APS schools and the 2 Melbourne Uni clubs. I understand if you don’t have a lot of sympathy for us, but ACC schools have a much more middle-class demographic, generally smaller enrolments numbers and get some elite talent picked off during school years. They also don’t have the same networks as the blue blood schools and unis. We have to work incredibly hard to stay at the pointy end and compete.

The points system, in a non paying comp, has evened things up. De La’s rep complaining is a little funny if we are to believe the amount of players they’ve recruited this year, added to last years haul.

Likewise Beaumaris in last years have attracted the greatest small forward in AFL history, plus several ex AFL players, along with a former AFL coach, who replaced a former AFL player as coach.

I didn’t hear anyone at Ormond complaining when they won five A grade flags in a row! Likewise Carey, a small co-ed school with numbers of males a lot smaller than De La or St Bedes have recently been around the top grades for 10 years.

The VAFA is a competition that rewards the people who work the hardest, not the biggest schools or district clubs, if it wasn’t the case, Caulfield Grammar, Wesley and Haileybury would win the flag every year. Xavier let’s remember, were only strong for 20 years because half of their list were non Xavier people. They worked hard recruiting!

By the way, I must say I’m loving the new set up at EP, it looks amazing, the surface is superb whilst the invisible wind shields work a great! Now if we can burn the old scoreboard and replace it with one that offers live video and replays as well as around the ground scores, we will be set!

Last edited:
The points system, in a non paying comp, has evened things up. De La’s rep complaining is a little funny if we are to believe the amount of players they’ve recruited this year, added to last years haul.

Likewise Beaumaris in last years have attracted the greatest small forward in AFL history, plus several ex AFL players, along with a former AFL coach, who replaced a former AFL player as coach.

I didn’t hear anyone at Ormond complaining when they won five A grade flags in a row! Likewise Carey, a small co-ed school with numbers of males a lot smaller than De La or St Bedes have recently been around the top grades for 10 years.

The VAFA is a competition that rewards the people who work the hardest, not the biggest schools or district clubs, if it wasn’t the case, Caulfield Grammar, Wesley and Haileybury would win the flag every year. Xavier let’s remember, were only strong for 20 years because half of their list were non Xavier people. They worked hard recruiting!

By the way, I must say I’m loving the new set up at EP, it looks amazing, the surface is superb whilst the invisible wind shields work a great! Now if we can burn the old scoreboard and replace it with one that offers live video and replays as well as around the ground scores, we will be set!

I’m not complaining, rather just pointing out that some school-based clubs need to work bloody hard to stay at the top. Larger ACC contemporaries (Parade, Whitefriars et al) are in lower grades while others (CBS St. Kilda, Salesian, NOBs) had to merge or don’t even exist anymore.

St Bedes (which some may say is half a district club) and St Bernards climbed the mountain but found themselves back in B soon after and in Bernies case just a year after winning the flag. Carey have exceptional networks but seem more intent on attracting half a dozen superstars rather than building the necessary depth to sustain them in A grade.

In regard to our recruiting – for clarity we have a couple of country lads and one or two from outside the school network but most recruits are returning players and TAC/VFL kids who went to the school. No ex AFL players or others that might be considered ‘big fish’. And last year’s “haul” saw more depart then arrive.

Last edited:
I’m not complaining, rather just pointing out that some school-based clubs need to work bloody hard to stay at the top. Larger ACC contemporaries (Parade, Whitefriars et al) are in lower grades while others (CBS St. Kilda, Salesian, NOBs) had to merge or don’t even exist anymore.

St Bedes (which some may say is half a district club) and St Bernards climbed the mountain but found themselves back in B soon after and in Bernies case just a year after winning the flag. Carey have exceptional networks but seem more intent on attracting half a dozen superstars rather than building the necessary depth to sustain them in A grade.

In regard to our recruiting – for clarity we have a couple of country lads and one or two from outside the school network but most recruits are returning players and TAC/VFL kids who went to the school. No ex AFL players or others that might be considered ‘big fish’. And last year’s “haul” saw more depart then arrive.
Seem is the appropriate word. Old Carey is working exceedingly hard on building depth, particularly through building relationships with the school and school football programs. This is evidenced through the finals appearances of both u19 and reserves last year. Old Carey have strong competition for players from the EFL( Balwyn, Vermont, Blackburn etc), and to a lesser extent the NFNL, as well as a few A grade clubs nipping around the edges . As mentioned by Vince the number of both boys and football players at the school is small in comparison to many, so it is so important to continue to work on relationships and build networks to stay viable, let alone successful, regardless of whether you come from APS, AGS, ACC or district club.

Seem is the appropriate word. Old Carey is working exceedingly hard on building depth, particularly through building relationships with the school and school football programs. This is evidenced through the finals appearances of both u19 and reserves last year. Old Carey have strong competition for players from the EFL( Balwyn, Vermont, Blackburn etc), and to a lesser extent the NFNL, as well as a few A grade clubs nipping around the edges . As mentioned by Vince the number of both boys and football players at the school is small in comparison to many, so it is so important to continue to work on relationships and build networks to stay viable, let alone successful, regardless of whether you come from APS, AGS, ACC or district club.

Success is the aim but only one team gets the flag and another promoted. In my view the other 8 teams can't be viewed as unsuccessful. Having a club that provides coaches, players, community and volunteers the opportunity to come together and enjoy training, Saturdays and social functions in a friendly "Club Environment" is what it is all about. No different to your workplace really. If you enjoy the club then it is a success IMO.
It is absolute rubbish to suggest that being in Premier is anything but one small measure of on-field success. I was involved at length with an A grade club in the 90s and it interesting to watch all the infighting that occurred and in the end I left. It was really unsuccessful off the field.
Volunteers give as much as they can no matter what "grade" their clubs are in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vince, how many years since Ormond won an A grade flag ! we are talking about now. I really thought you were a breath of fresh air early days, how wrong I was.

Seriously Bedford. Everyone knows Vince’s passion for all things APS. He’s always been excited and speaked about the APS teams, other than Xavier, in glowing terms. I’m suprised you’re suprised.

I admire Old Carey, they work very, very hard.

Seriously Bedford. Everyone knows Vince’s passion for all things APS. He’s always been excited and speaked about the APS teams, other than Xavier, in glowing terms. I’m suprised you’re suprised.

Vince hasn't been around long enough for you to have formed that opinion. Move on, gentlemen.

Like all of the successful Clubs. Some are just better at it than others......No doubt OC are trying..
That’s a fair comment, although re you post about your team, Collegians were in C grade 20 years ago? A fair bit of water has gone under the bridge, I hate to think where we would be if we hadn’t merged with Mentone, I’m thinking we would’nt be around at all.

That’s a fair comment, although re you post about your team, Collegians were in C grade 20 years ago? A fair bit of water has gone under the bridge, I hate to think where we would be if we hadn’t merged with Mentone, I’m thinking we would’nt be around at all.

You might be around but probably playing in E grade and still based at that absolute ship hole out the back of Braeside, Beda Park. Absolutely horrendous venue!

More a takeover than a merge but either way it was a very smart move by St Bedes Old Colls.

Speaking of SBMT, have Ajax got over the 2006 GF yet or is there still Unfinished Business?
That’s a classic post, I think that’s their motto again for 2018, they trade marked it and have used it for 12 years on end.

I also hear they are working very, very hard to displace OH from Princes Park, a cause that wasn’t helped by the Bloods ascending back up to Premier B. They should be a couple of nice games this year, I’ll bring the popcorn!

That’s a classic post, I think that’s their motto again for 2018, they trade marked it and have used it for 12 years on end.

I also hear they are working very, very hard to displace OH from Princes Park, a cause that wasn’t helped by the Bloods ascending back up to Premier B. They should be a couple of nice games this year, I’ll bring the popcorn!

They have always tried to get on there, they cracked it when OH were first moved there.
Different Council’s would make it tough for them to get in, even if OH weren’t given it??

In regards to APS teams. A few points worth mentioning : Co education, Multi Campuses and South East Asian / Chinese students
(aren't drawn to AFL footy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back