B Section Premier B - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't speak for CG but OH reserves have been battling for decades. Well before there were any females at the school. I realise the issue goes deeper than raw numbers but there are 1000s of boys at both schools and the male enrolment would dwarf many other old boy clubs in the VAFA. The numbers of girls v boys are miniscule by comparison. The female enrolment may be increasing but they are nothing like Wesley which would probably have close to a 50/50 split. On that point it is amazing that a legitimate co-ed school can compete year after year in the top grade. Something like 8 ‘A’ grand final appearances since 2008. Incredible record of sustained success.

The issue at Caulfield was the 30 odd Senior/Reserves players who left ($$$$) or retired after 2022. The numbers coming through the U19's are really solid and they are propping the club up, but it just takes time to fill the list back up. Having such a young club also exposes you to players travelling during Uni holidays, more than the older guys who can't get as much leave because they are working full time. The hope is that the belting the kids get playing in the Reserves each week doesn't turn them off the game and the wheel will turn.

In 2021 our Reserves would have played finals in A Grade had the season not been cancelled. They played finals in B Grade in 2019. If the kids stick together then 2025 will see numbers improve as a large group age out from U19s, but being super competitive may take a little longer.

think this has been becoming
something of a trend, & been playing out over the last 2 seasons. While those involved in said clubs (& schools) will likely dispute this theory. These 2 while often dominant at APS level, are both co-ed, so already fewer lads in the programs V boys schools. With the big influx of ‘bursary’ scholars, it’s a double whammy. Originals may get disenchanted, newbies on the school purse if not drafted have less emotional link to go on to VAFA footy with Old Boys clubs.
Hence other than 1sts, the ressies battle. Perhaps the only coed school /club consistently at the pointy end, staying in Premier A & always no issue fielding ressies is Collegians (although no great success at 2’s level)….
Plus Collegians women in Premier A, so something being done well at the Harry Trott:
St Kevs don't entice students/footballers with scholarships. Last year's GF team had 22 former students, none of whom had attended the college on a scholarship.

They do - just nowhere near the levels of the schools previously mentioned.

Ivanhoe is co-ed and they seem to be doing just fine.
St Kevin’s OB helped by large student numbers at the school & getting them thru into the ammo’s , great pathway retention it seems.
While curiously only intermittent APS flags, again V’s the recruitment heavy schools as for-mentioned. Those schools who likely would be back with the chasing pack otherwise, like other coed operators, etc

St Kevs don't entice students/footballers with scholarships. Last year's GF team had 22 former students, none of whom had attended the college on a scholarsh

St Kevs don't entice students/footballers with scholarships. Last year's GF team had 22 former students, none of whom had attended the college on a scholarship.

That probably explains why they got "flogged"in last years GF.

Season shaping games tomorrow for a number of teams.

OT v DLS - winner is most likely to get the second chance
Beaumaris v Old Camberwell - Sharks a chance to end the promoted OC's finals chances.
SBMT v OI - Can the rejuvenation of the Tigers cause a slip up for the lads from Pine Lodge

They do - just nowhere near the levels of the schools previously mentioned.

Ivanhoe is co-ed and they seem to be doing just fine.
Zero footy scholarships at the school unfortunately, hence their average APS position each year. I wish they would load up!

Max Leader When OI salute tomorrow, no ‘honest’ match report please, as you didn’t post after two losses in a row 😉

Season shaping games tomorrow for a number of teams.

OT v DLS - winner is most likely to get the second chance
Beaumaris v Old Camberwell - Sharks a chance to end the promoted OC's finals chances.
SBMT v OI - Can the rejuvenation of the Tigers cause a slip up for the lads from Pine Lodge
Beaumaris only manage 2 goals at home against the 5th placed side yet the Senior coach gets a contract extension, expected to finish top 2 but sitting 7th currently, reserves losing young guys and 3rds wound up …….

Just for Mr. Platinum.

Honest Match report.

Ground excellent. Middle got sloppy after 4 games. No wind. Rained off and on all day, but the yellow balls held up well.

You can tell a good club by how they are when things aren’t working going so well on the ground.

Best post match meal ever.

Provided 2 x boundary umpires for reserves. As we did for them when that played at the Lodge.

No bitching or moaning.

Understand their plight and are already working towards B Grade in 2026.

Overall we got some mojo back. Happy with the win. Still, how does 6 go into 4.

PS

Mr Platinum, why no Honest Match reports for the last 2 games (both losses).

1stly I was coaching our Under 19’s to a magnificent come from behind draw against the boys from TH King.

Second game loss to Trinity, I gave a short sharp couple of lines in Pazzas inciteful match report.

Back home next week. Along way for the boys from Beaumaris.

Beaumaris only manage 2 goals at home against the 5th placed side yet the Senior coach gets a contract extension, expected to finish top 2 but sitting 7th currently, reserves losing young guys and 3rds wound up …….
He didn't did he , what a joke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those questioning why the StB v OI result hasn’t been finalised. The game started at 3.20pm with the expected game finish to be 6.00pm. But with approx 47 seconds to go in the last quarter, the magnificent lights went out, leaving the ground in total darkness.

Coaches and umpires agreed to call the game off.

Thank god the game wasn’t close.

We actually had one of a supporters locked in the elevator for nearly an hour.

For those questioning why the StB v OI result hasn’t been finalised. The game started at 3.20pm with the expected game finish to be 6.00pm. But with approx 47 seconds to go in the last quarter, the magnificent lights went out, leaving the ground in total darkness.

Coaches and umpires agreed to call the game off.

Thank god the game wasn’t close.

We actually had one of a supporters locked in the elevator for nearly an hour.
Okay, Max that's not much fun when you lose power and the lights go out. We had that happen at GBO during a twilight match for our thirds. It was about half-time in a tight match. After a few phone calls to the local council the lights came back on and the game was concluded.

To my mind though this a poor excuse as to why the match, being Live Scored, was not finalised in PlayHQ once the decision was made to call time. I imagine that the Live Scoring was either being conducted on a Pad or Lap Top. Which would both be battery powered or have battery back up. If it was being conducted via a desktop computer, then from my experience live scoring in the cricket season, it is a very simply process to transfer to another device to finalise the match. If the Internet dropped out due to the loss of power, then the use of hotspot on a mobile phone to reconnect the device to the internet would be possible, or the Live Scorer could just transfer the match to their mobile phone and finalise the match that way.

I think the one thing a number of Live Score operators in the VAFA are not aware of is that you can only use the Live Score system to score a match on the actual day of the match. Once you go past 12pm on the match day that is it!! You can not back date the system. Also, if like the Cricket, people may also not be aware that while a match is being Lived Scored the ability to access the match through the PlayHQ Administration Portal is locked out. So thus until the match is made final the ability to add Best Players, any missed Goal Kickers, or changes to the Team Sheet is blocked.

Now to get this match finalised the Administration persons in the club will need to contact the VAFA or Play AFL support to have the match finalised. A simply process, but annoying to have to complete as you maybe waiting a bit trying to get through to the help desk.

So as you can see that it is extremely important to make sure that any match that is Live Scored is finalised in PlayHQ regardless whether the Live Scoring session is completed successfully or not, as it can cause further delays to processing the match details in the PlayHQ Management platform. The time frame provided by VAFA to complete these processes is restrictive enough, so any further delays are not helpful.

Okay, Max that's not much fun when you lose power and the lights go out. We had that happen at GBO during a twilight match for our thirds. It was about half-time in a tight match. After a few phone calls to the local council the lights came back on and the game was concluded.

To my mind though this a poor excuse as to why the match, being Live Scored, was not finalised in PlayHQ once the decision was made to call time. I imagine that the Live Scoring was either being conducted on a Pad or Lap Top. Which would both be battery powered or have battery back up. If it was being conducted via a desktop computer, then from my experience live scoring in the cricket season, it is a very simply process to transfer to another device to finalise the match. If the Internet dropped out due to the loss of power, then the use of hotspot on a mobile phone to reconnect the device to the internet would be possible, or the Live Scorer could just transfer the match to their mobile phone and finalise the match that way.

I think the one thing a number of Live Score operators in the VAFA are not aware of is that you can only use the Live Score system to score a match on the actual day of the match. Once you go past 12pm on the match day that is it!! You can not back date the system. Also, if like the Cricket, people may also not be aware that while a match is being Lived Scored the ability to access the match through the PlayHQ Administration Portal is locked out. So thus until the match is made final the ability to add Best Players, any missed Goal Kickers, or changes to the Team Sheet is blocked.

Now to get this match finalised the Administration persons in the club will need to contact the VAFA or Play AFL support to have the match finalised. A simply process, but annoying to have to complete as you maybe waiting a bit trying to get through to the help desk.

So as you can see that it is extremely important to make sure that any match that is Live Scored is finalised in PlayHQ regardless whether the Live Scoring session is completed successfully or not, as it can cause further delays to processing the match details in the PlayHQ Management platform. The time frame provided by VAFA to complete these processes is restrictive enough, so any further delays are not helpful.
Seriously, writing an essay in whey the scores have not been completed.

My response to you is that whilst everyone at the ground needed to sign off, it still needs the VAFA administration to sign off which doesn’t happen until tomorrow.

Pretty simple.

Seriously, writing an essay in whey the scores have not been completed.

My response to you is that whilst everyone at the ground needed to sign off, it still needs the VAFA administration to sign off which doesn’t happen until tomorrow.

Pretty simple.
Well sorry for being so long winded in my comment!! Also I'm sorry for your lack of knowledge in how the PlayHQ platform works. The VAFA Administration don't sign off the match tomorrow. In setting up the season competition the VAFA Admin load in an automated time window for Clubs to lodge/amend match results, Best Players etc. This maybe any time from 24 to 72 hours. When this time window expires the match is automatically lock by the platform. If VAFA Admin are willing they can unlock the match for a further period of 24 hours. All Ladders are only generated from Finalised match results, not matches in progress.

Is that short enough for you Max.

Indeed - Grim times at Shark Park.

The only game I didn't mention was the thriller on the other side of the bridge, OH just going? or a few O/S and be back by finals?

Well sorry for being so long winded in my comment!! Also I'm sorry for your lack of knowledge in how the PlayHQ platform works. The VAFA Administration don't sign off the match tomorrow. In setting up the season competition the VAFA Admin load in an automated time window for Clubs to lodge/amend match results, Best Players etc. This maybe any time from 24 to 72 hours. When this time window expires the match is automatically lock by the platform. If VAFA Admin are willing they can unlock the match for a further period of 24 hours. All Ladders are only generated from Finalised match results, not matches in progress.

Is that short enough for you Max.

It's ok BTB, I'm sure the league will work their magic behind the scenes to ensure the ladder reflects the correct results. Especially as we are in for an existing finish to the season.

Can Willy survive?

Huge game with Caulfield going to visit this Saturday, a win for the CYs draws them within 2 points of the fields with 4 to play.

Would certainly spice up the final 4 weeks at the wrong end of the table

Can't say I got it right last weekend, so hopefully I'm a little closer to the mark this week.

OC to take care of STBMT and send them one step closer to Prem C. A % booster for OC brings them right back into top contention.
OG v OT in the match of the round, OT's stung by a home thrashing by DLS and according to the coach didn't handle the conditions. OG's are a completely different side at Como and I expect them to keep top 2 aspirations alive.
OH v DLS - These two teams said hold my :beercheers: when it comes to match of the round status, this should be a corker and quite possibly a GF preview. OH haven't been in the best of touch lately but have just done enough to call themselves top dogs, De La certainly ruing lost games at home earlier in the year have bounced back and could be the form team of the comp. Princes Park hasn't been a happy hunting ground for De La but I think they can turn the tables today and almost lock in a top 2 finish.
OI v Beaumaris has there been a more disappointing team this season than the Sharks??? Haven't been able to get out of first gear and if the rumours are true there may be some player exodus come seasons end. On a more positive note, OI have handled the jump from C beautifully and are a formidable force at Pine Lodge. With the mist rising off the golf course and the shadows creeping over the ground late in the day it will be a long way from the beach for the Sharks and I expect them to be belted.
Willy v CG - Off the Ed Fearon reserve for the final match of the round. This could quite possibly be one of last rolls of the dice for Willy in it's quest to stay in B grade, drop this and the fat lady may be asked to take the stage. Caulfield have had a stinker of a year, certainly not the club they have been in previous seasons, they were gallant last week but have the players already checked out? The home side in a nail biter.

Can't say I got it right last weekend, so hopefully I'm a little closer to the mark this week.

OC to take care of STBMT and send them one step closer to Prem C. A % booster for OC brings them right back into top contention.
OG v OT in the match of the round, OT's stung by a home thrashing by DLS and according to the coach didn't handle the conditions. OG's are a completely different side at Como and I expect them to keep top 2 aspirations alive.
OH v DLS - These two teams said hold my :beercheers: when it comes to match of the round status, this should be a corker and quite possibly a GF preview. OH haven't been in the best of touch lately but have just done enough to call themselves top dogs, De La certainly ruing lost games at home earlier in the year have bounced back and could be the form team of the comp. Princes Park hasn't been a happy hunting ground for De La but I think they can turn the tables today and almost lock in a top 2 finish.
OI v Beaumaris has there been a more disappointing team this season than the Sharks??? Haven't been able to get out of first gear and if the rumours are true there may be some player exodus come seasons end. On a more positive note, OI have handled the jump from C beautifully and are a formidable force at Pine Lodge. With the mist rising off the golf course and the shadows creeping over the ground late in the day it will be a long way from the beach for the Sharks and I expect them to be belted.
Willy v CG - Off the Ed Fearon reserve for the final match of the round. This could quite possibly be one of last rolls of the dice for Willy in it's quest to stay in B grade, drop this and the fat lady may be asked to take the stage. Caulfield have had a stinker of a year, certainly not the club they have been in previous seasons, they were gallant last week but have the players already checked out? The home side in a nail biter.
OH's ground is in deplorable condition , over used and they only train on the pavilion side , not a blade of grass left

Remove this Banner Ad

B Section Premier B - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back