A Section Premier Section 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Play HQ appears to be updated again now SMP.
Alas for an hour or so there it did sound like some hastily rearranged match ups on the Scotch board might be required šŸ˜€
It was just nicely wetting the appetite as part of the build upā€¦.nothing like a sliding doors visual to trick the readerā€¦

Any update on if Mr Hill is challenging the bizarre 21 day concussion rule?
Bizarre?? Isn't it based on the best science. You would hope the people who care about him talk him out of taking risks....young man with plenty going for him I'm sure. The VAFA would be crazy to change the rules and OB would be crazy to pressure / encourage HH to play.

Bizarre?? Isn't it based on the best science. You would hope the people who care about him talk him out of taking risks....young man with plenty going for him I'm sure. The VAFA would be crazy to change the rules and OB would be crazy to pressure / encourage HH to play.
No it's not. The AFL policy is 12 days. The NFL policy is less.

There's actually no science behind 21 days. Not sure why it should be different to the AFL.

No it's not. The AFL policy is 12 days. The NFL policy is less.

There's actually no science behind 21 days. Not sure why it should be different to the AFL.
Maybe because the AFL clubs have top medical talent available 24/7 and put concussed players under strict testing? And maybe the fitness level has a lot to do with recovery? Don't know, just offering up a suggestion.

Maybe because the AFL clubs have top medical talent available 24/7 and put concussed players under strict testing? And maybe the fitness level has a lot to do with recovery? Don't know, just offering up a suggestion.
Of course its different from the AFL...the AFL would be able to demand testing and concussion protocols to prove the players is right to go. Anyway wishing everyone a safe PF weekend.

Yep....the same top medical talent Melb FC had when they sent Pertraka back on with a chest full of broken ribs and a lacerated spleen

Yep....the same top medical talent Melb FC had when they sent Pertraka back on with a chest full of broken ribs and a lacerated spleen

Hear me out, with no xray or imaging equipment at the ground thats a tough one to diagnose. But i do agree after 2min of seeing him back out there wincing it was time to pull the plug.

The VAFA don't want a million lawsuits after players retire and find themselves with CTE later in life. with a 21 day policy and not being able to to return unless ticked off by a trainer gives them that insurance. One thing I will say is I see a shitload of head knocks go untreated now, if the trainer can't see and the player isnt wobbly, nobody cares, trying to avoid the time off

Last edited:
Hear me out, with no xray or imaging equipment at the ground thats a tough one to diagnose. But i do agree after 2min of seeing him back out there wincing it was time to pull the plug.

The VAFA don't want a million lawsuits after players retire and find themselves with CTE later in life. with a 21 day policy and not being able to to return unless ticked off by a trainer gives them that insurance. One thing I will say is I see a shitload of head knocks go untreated now, if the trainer can't see and the player isnt wobbly, nobody cares, trying to avoid the time off
I expect the 21 day rule for local football is based on of a player missing two games and then be right for week 3. It was no doubt developed based on the accepted practice of local football being played on a Saturday. The VAFA deciding in their wisdom to play the GF on a Friday has obviously created an unintended consequence. Hill will have missed 2 games and should be right to play week 3 as per the intent tof the policy. If the 21 days elapses at 1 minute past midnight and the game is schedule to start at 2.30pm he misses by 9 Ā½ hours. Surely if he is medically cleared and has already sat out for more than 20 Ā½ days we donā€™t let a kid miss GF for the sake of a few hours. While certainly well intentioned we need to remember that it is just policy, not legislation.

While it should not be a deciding factor, Hill is an absolute gun who could make a fortune playing in the paying comps. He could easily be playing VFL but has remained loyal to his club. Heart and soul type and from all accounts a ripping young bloke. OBs best players, club captain and already a legend of the club and the comp. While others will have a contrary view, which is understandable, personally I hope he getā€™s to play.

Elitism rearing its ugly head! Concussion is NOT a joke, you can't make up the rules to suit yourself Harry, this is bullshit IMO but not surprising given the way Harry's old man carried on like a trained seal round 18.

I like Harry, he's a ripper, but let's hope this doesn't change the way every little tacker playing footy across Australia is treated.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elitism rearing its ugly head! Concussion is NOT a joke, you can't make up the rules to suit yourself Harry, this is bullshit IMO but not surprising given the way Harry's old man carried on like a trained seal round 18.

I like Harry, he's a ripper, but let's hope this doesn't change the way every little tacker playing footy across Australia is treated.

I could have predicted this at the start of the season when the VAFA decided to have the Grand Final on a Friday, thus reducing the days between Round 18 to the Grand Final to 20 days.

The question that must be asked. Was the policy brought in by the VAFA supposed to be ā€œmiss 2 gamesā€ or ā€œmiss 21 daysā€. IMHO it was 2 games.

I could have predicted this at the start of the season when the VAFA decided to have the Grand Final on a Friday, thus reducing the days between Round 18 to the Grand Final to 20 days.

The question that must be asked. Was the policy brought in by the VAFA supposed to be ā€œmiss 2 gamesā€ or ā€œmiss 21 daysā€. IMHO it was 2 games.
As I understand it Max, it's not a VAFA rule, it's an AFL rule to all competitions.

Remove this Banner Ad

A Section Premier Section 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back