Preview Preview and Changes vs North Melbourne. 1:10pm @ NIMBY Park, Sunday

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
JJ just isn't able to adapt his game to AFL and gets caught doing s**t he might get away with at Casey (that HTB at CHB was a killer, turning back into the tackler...).
The one where Martin shoved him off balance? That was absolutely not his fault.

Honestly, JJ is a harder worker defensively than Harmes. None of Harmes’ offensive weapons work anymore either. I can’t see an argument for keeping Harmes in over him that isn’t “well Harmes used to be good”.

When Sparrow and Oliver are back both are out.

Honestly, JJ is a harder worker defensively than Harmes. None of Harmes’ offensive weapons work anymore either. I can’t see an argument for keeping Harmes in over him that isn’t “well Harmes used to be good”.

Oh noze he got pushed off balance?! So unfair... Come on man.

I think Harmes will come out, but that's due to the role situation with Sparrow coming back, I think it's fair to say his game was better than JJ's and his leg speed is far better than Jordon's.

In terms of the game on the weekend:

Harmes - 19 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 17 pressure acts, 4 clearances, 4 score involvements, 2 turnovers.
Jordon - 11 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 18 pressure acts, 2 clearances, 2 score involvements, 3 turnovers.

I think the argument about the comparison is clear - Neither are very good, but Harmes provides slightly better numbers and leg speed and doesn't get caught as much as Jordon against high pressure teams (which is saying something when it's old fend-off Harmes).

Agree both are out when Sparrow and Oliver are out, and I think Harmes will come out this week because he was brought in for Sparrow, but I really don't think it's so clear cut in terms of who is better when the whips are cracking.

Yeah that's fair. I have no idea yet how I feel about any of it - Do we mess with a winning team and Gawn's form? Could Grundy be sub? Do we risk the two rucks again given how well the forward line went? Just reckon it will be an intriguing one for selection.

Grundy as sub isn’t a bad idea. Be very risky to manage max though his form is amazing and you don’t want to mess with it, plus he will get a rest before finals anyway.

Oh noze he got pushed off balance?! So unfair...
Remember when you used to not act like a hysteric?

Watch it again. He was shoved into the tackler. It was a genius bit of play by Martin. Shame we conceded the goal, and looked like Jordon was slow to dispose of it on first viewing, but you have to doff your cap to Dusty. Most players try and stick the tackle.

When you joined this board, you used to argue with some nuance. You should revert to that and drop the bullshit.

Shoved him off balance because he had a handball option he didn't take any then fell over. Classic JJ. Can never go the first option without spending 3 extra seconds thinking about it

He's crap mate just accept it

Shoved him off balance because he had a handball option he didn't take any then fell over. Classic JJ. Can never go the first option without spending 3 extra seconds thinking about it

He's crap mate just accept it
I have accepted it! He’s not best 22. Just think he plays the battler role better than Harmes.

Remember when you used to not act like a hysteric?

Watch it again. He was shoved into the tackler. It was a genius bit of play by Martin. Shame we conceded the goal, and looked like Jordon was slow to dispose of it on first viewing, but you have to doff your cap to Dusty. Most players try and stick the tackle.

When you joined this board, you used to argue with some nuance. You should revert to that and drop the bullshit.

Come on mate, 'he was pushed off balance' doesn't deserve a grown up response. I addressed the rest of your post respectfully, but that part was a bit silly.

Come on mate, 'he was pushed off balance' doesn't deserve a grown up response. I addressed the rest of your post respectfully, but that part was a bit silly.
Mate seriously, watch it again. Martin as usual sees two steps ahead. That whole first half we were tackling them around the waist. Jordon had him beaten for a tackle, but Martin saw that there was another man he could slingshot him into. It was really terrific play.

I have accepted it! He’s not best 22. Just think he plays the battler role better than Harmes.
Yeah gun to my head I'm probably taking JJ as the last guy in over Harmes but unlike say someone like ANB, Jordans role doesn't add anything to the side. He just exists

Mate seriously, watch it again. Martin as usual sees two steps ahead. That whole first half we were tackling them around the waist. Jordon had him beaten for a tackle, but Martin saw that there was another man he could slingshot him into. It was really terrific play.

Cool, just not sure how that excuses Jordon at all? If Dusty is close enough to push him and Jordon just holds on to the ball too long then that's 100% his fault. We might as well start saying 'well if Jordon hadn't been tackled then it wouldn't have been holding the ball, so it was really good by Jordon...'

Don't think it's a difficult selection - if Sparrow and Oliver are fit they're in for Harmes and Jordon. Harmes out before Jordon for mine if only one of Clarry and Sparrow are fit but it's a flip of the coin.

There will definitely be a week at some time soon for Gawn to have a rest and Grundy to ruck but it's too soon now. Will be one of the last two weeks unless Max has any real injuries.

Give Tommo another go just for structure so Smith can stay super sub.

Don't think it's a difficult selection - if Sparrow and Oliver are fit they're in for Harmes and Jordon. Harmes out before Jordon for mine if only one of Clarry and Sparrow are fit but it's a flip of the coin.

There will definitely be a week at some time soon for Gawn to have a rest and Grundy to ruck but it's too soon now. Will be one of the last two weeks unless Max has any real injuries.

Give Tommo another go just for structure so Smith can stay super sub.
Pre finals bye. 0 point resting him a week with 2 weeks to go. Either do it now against north or not at All

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out:
Harmes - cooked :(
JJ - forgettable at best
Tomlinson - turned back into a pumpkin

In:
Pig - heck yeah
Smith - The people's champ
Sparrow (if fit) or Laurie, AMW, anyone else who can use the ball

100%

Tomlinson getting dragged off with no injury means he is done

Smith played his role and even had a better SC score in a quarter

Harmes and ANB are not upto it and are a liability against quicker teams

100%

Tomlinson getting dragged off with no injury means he is done

Smith played his role and even had a better SC score in a quarter

Harmes and ANB are not upto it and are a liability against quicker teams

Every week without fail posters bring up ANB...

season 5 richard GIF

Tomo stays. he wasnt great yesterday but surely the main reason he was subbed was there just wasnt a match up for him? We look heaps better with May and another stopper in the side to free up Lever..Smith cant do the role Tomlinson does, he's more of an interceptor.

Tomo stays. he wasnt great yesterday but surely the main reason he was subbed was there just wasnt a match up for him? We look heaps better with May and another stopper in the side to free up Lever..Smith cant do the role Tomlinson does, he's more of an interceptor.

Agreed, I think it was purely match-ups, although he wasn't great when he was on the field, but you're not gonna sub Lever or May if you want to sub a KPD.

The resting Max decision will be interesting. My guess is he'll want to play through to the pre-finals bye and take his break then.

Laurie or Sparrow (if fit) in for Harmes.

Maybe JJ makes way as well.

I imagine Tomo stays or J. Smith replaces him.

Goody doesn't tend to make a million unforced changes after a W.

I'll believe it when I see it!

On ANB, he had a dreadful first quarter with ball in hand but he really persisted and had some really impactful moments for the rest of the game.

I've been one of his biggest critics, because whenever he has a quarter like that first quarter on the weekend I might just tear every last hair out of my head.

But yes, what he offers is important and no one else at the club can offer it at his level.

Tomo had a pretty crap one, but no reason to immediately toss him out after one poor performance. Give hime another chance and keep going with the Special Smith Super Sub Spectacular arrangement. It's been working. Let's keep it working.

I had this game pencilled in for the soft landing to have Grundy brought back in.

I didn’t watch the Casey game but from what I’ve read Grundy was doing a lot of rucking and that was before the Richmond game. A strange thing to do if you’re trying to develop someone’s forward craft.

Then you put on top what Petty and JvR produced later against Richmond and the opportunity has surely passed for 2023 at least, barring injury (touch wood).

Maybe if Gawn could do with a rest Grundy gets a go as a ruck. And if they game is well and truly sewn up at half time they could swing Petty and JvR into the ruck and give Grundy the second half as a tall forward?

From the bits I saw of last week’s game North are running with two genuine talls in the forward line in Larkey and Xerri.

Xerri is probably a pretty good matchup for Tomlinson so I wouldn’t be shocked if Tomlinson stays in so Lever can be free to intercept.

I think Joel Smith’s value as the sub is his extreme athletiscism is magnified when he’s fresh and everyone else is tired. Playing him from the start diminishes his impact so I wouldn’t do that. It would be asking Hibberd too much to take Xerri or Larkey IMO.

If Oliver and Sparrow are available I’d see two of Harmes, Jordon and Woewodin to drop out.

I reckon there’s a line through Laurie for this season. If they had faith in him for finals he would’ve got games earlier. No point giving him a run now if you won’t persist with him. Same for Dunstan who has racked up touches lately.

Spargo would need to do more to force someone out or Chandler would need a couple of stinkers.

Yeh the tiges seemed to have a quick forward line which worried us a lot, it was a well timed move by Goody to make the earlyish sub with Smith. But yeh Tomo is stronger one on one than Smith and so Tomo allows May to play further up the ground and enables us to keep Petty forward, Tomo isn't going anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back