Preview Preview/changes v. Collingwood @ MCG - Qualifying Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've given McVee the big responsibilities all year to get him ready for a moment like this, no point getting gun shy now. He'll take Elliott and ****ing flog the campaigner.

It's funny, for two teams that appear to have very different styles, our statistical profiles are extremely similar. Highlighted stats are the only ones that really stand out as points of difference.

1693529779027.png

It's funny, for two teams that appear to have very different styles, our statistical profiles are extremely similar. Highlighted stats are the only ones that really stand out as points of difference.

View attachment 1791569

I reckon I've used the footywire team comparison before every game this year and the bounces stat has always stood out to me. I remember a lot of Dees fans bemoaning our lack of leg speed over the journey and I wonder if the low number of bounces we take is an indicator that we countered that with ball movement - meaning we use disposals to keep the ball moving, rather than take possession and run (and needing to bounce). Definitely highlights the differing game styles of the two teams.

Interestingly, this year on average we bounce it less in wins than losses. Not a crucial stat by any means, but is an interesting indicator nonetheless.

I reckon I've used the footywire team comparison before every game this year and the bounces stat has always stood out to me. I remember a lot of Dees fans bemoaning our lack of leg speed over the journey and I wonder if the low number of bounces we take is an indicator that we countered that with ball movement - meaning we use disposals to keep the ball moving, rather than take possession and run (and needing to bounce). Definitely highlights the differing game styles of the two teams.

Interestingly, this year on average we bounce it less in wins than losses. Not a crucial stat by any means, but is an interesting indicator nonetheless.

Always feel it’s lazy analysis to blame leg speed (Not saying you’re doing it).

Geelong 2007-2012 and Hawks 2012-2015 weren’t the fastest teams across the ground but the ball movement was electric. If you use the ball well it travels faster than any player anyway.

Geelong 2007-2012 and Hawks 2012-2015 weren’t the fastest teams across the ground but the ball movement was electric. If you use the ball well it travels faster than any player anyway.
Leg speed was useful 25 years ago when players hung around their starting positions and a half back could run the length of the ground stepping around players one at a time. These days everyone on the field needs to be an incredible runner so by the time a player can run the ball end to end the entire opposition team has gotten back anyway if they haven't tackled the ball-carrier already.

These days you open up the opposition by either lacing out a kick to a guy in space or handballing to a teammate who's cheated forward.

The last time I can remember a player running the ball from the half backline for a goal was Lewis Jetta in the 2012 prelim and even then he started in front of all the Collingwood players.

Totally agree with you - Was the whole point of me over analysing our bounce stat!

Most players who have genuine leg speed end up with some injuries or it takes it toll and they fade before 25/26 because they rely too much on it and are crap without it. All you need is to be agile.

Well if we touch em up easily I'll give you your deserved plaudits. I'm alot more circumspect myself. Collingwood are in every game they play.

Been doing some thinking and I reckon Brisbane are clear favourites. They smashed us and Collingwood at their ground, really should have beaten us as they smashed us for most of the game then collapsed at the G and flogged Collingwood at Marvel. They have firepower everywhere

Brisbane are great when the game is open and free flowing. When the heat gets turned up in finals, they get found out year after year. This year will be no different. It'll be a Pies v Dees GF. Just a matter of how that comes to be.

Yeah but that doesn't mean anything, he's a centre bounce then drift forward type like Dusty. Just have Gus man him at the bounce then Hibbo grabs him when he goes forward

JDG plays as a pure mid. I think the pies coaching staff would be stoked if Hibberd lined up in the middle to tag JDG, in replace of Brayshaw, Viney or Oliver.

We've given McVee the big responsibilities all year to get him ready for a moment like this, no point getting gun shy now. He'll take Elliott and ******* flog the campaigner.

Fcukin flog the see you next Tuesday, you think? If keeping him to 5 goals is a flogging then, it is what it is.

Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fcukin flog the see you next Tuesday, you think? If keeping him to 5 goals is a flogging then, it is what it is.

Got you wound up so much that your post doesn't make any sense. If Elliott is as easy to get to as you are he won't get a kick. 😅

I'd love it if we were just saving Hibbo for one last finals series but I get the feeling he's not in our plans unfortunately.
Maybe he hasn't got the full finals series in himself... So maybe they are just selecting the right games, hopefully because IMV he is about our smartest/experienced defender, along with Maysie.

I still think he has a spot in there this series.

Rivers has so far filled the posi. Along with McVee playing on the nimblest, nippy types.

Hibbo in to go full human blanket on De Goey. Biggest threat.
De Goey has been attending around 80% CBAs this year (most on their list). Hibbo wouldn't be playing on him – would likely be Hibberd to Elliott, McVee to Hill, Bowey to Ginnivan (last two interchangeable)
IF De Goey creates mischief in the middle, Rivers could go to him.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back