Preview Preview/changes v. Collingwood @ MCG - Qualifying Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Dees fans

Only two days to go! Should be a ripper!

Both line-ups are significantly changed since King’s Birthday. The bookies have us (Pies) as slight favourites but most in the footy media think you’ll be too good.

A bit of rain probably helps Pies’ slow mids and blunts May and Lever’s aerial heroics. But I’m concerned we might be too top heavy with both Cox and Cameron playing.

Most intriguing to me is whether Howe plays in defence or up forward to make Lever accountable. I favour the latter but I think Fly favours the former. Thanks again for Howe, by the way. Got anyone else you want to send our way in the off-season? Perhaps Van Rooyen? Just not Grundy, OK?

The winner on Thurs is highly probable to make it all the way to the big dance, so it’s a huge opportunity for both sides. The stakes could barely be higher. Hopefully the bookies have got it right! Good luck Dees!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The footy world can stop feeling sorry for Brodie Grundy. He’s earning $900k a year to play a game. He also might like to take some responsibility for the predicament he’s in. Played like an absolute bag of sh1t when in our senior side regardless of whatever role was given him. See ya.

I dont feel sorry for him but there's no doubt the trade just hasnt worked from either party's perspective.

That said, these rumours circulating that he's already meeting with Port leave a bad taste in my mouth. The season and a premiership is still well and truly up for grabs - and Grundy could potentially still play a part in it if Gawn goes down (I'm not a religious man - but please God no).

It seems Grundy has calculated (probably correctly) he's absolutely no chance of playing again for us. So might as well shop himself around.

I dont feel sorry for him but there's no doubt the trade just hasnt worked from either party's perspective.

That said, these rumours circulating that he's already meeting with Port leave a bad taste in my mouth. The season and a premiership is still well and truly up for grabs - and Grundy could potentially still play a part in it if Gawn goes down (I'm not a religious man - but please God no).

It seems Grundy has calculated (probably correctly) he's absolutely no chance of playing again for us. So might as well shop himself around.

Agree. How hard would it have been for Grundy to say to his manager, “tell Kenny thanks, I’m interested in a chat, but just wait ‘til Melbourne’s season is over. Cheers. Bye.”

Not hard. And that’s where there’s a bit of disrespect towards our club for me. He would’ve lost nothing waiting a few weeks.

Agree. How hard would it have been for Grundy to say to his manager, “tell Kenny thanks, I’m interested in a chat, but just wait ‘til Melbourne’s season is over. Cheers. Bye.”

Not hard. And that’s where there’s a bit of disrespect towards our club for me. He would’ve lost nothing waiting a few weeks.
When this sort of stuff is openly happening, it's just the way the world has become. Play the game or get left behind.

“Be a campaigner because everyone else are being campaigners.”

Don’t know that that’s a good blueprint for the world, or personal behaviour.
It's not, but it's unfair to criticise him when that's the professional world he lives in.

"Tell Kenny thanks, I've just got a 15 v 15 scratch match at Casey that I feel morally bound to focus on this week" isn't really a realistic response when a club genuinely wants to meet with you.

It's not, but it's unfair to criticise him when that's the professional world he lives in.

"Tell Kenny thanks, I've just got a 15 v 15 scratch match at Casey that I feel morally bound to focus on this week" isn't really a realistic response when a club genuinely wants to meet with you.

That’s not the response I said Grundy should have given. Please don’t twist my words.

Grundy: “Thanks Ken, happy to have a chat on the phone. I’m interested in offers but I’ll do Melbourne the courtesy of holding off a face to face meeting until the finals are done.”

Ken: “No worries Brodie. Can absolutely respect and appreciate that. Talk soon.”

It’s totally unprofessional imo to have public talks with an opposition club who you might be playing against in upcoming finals. There is no guarantee Grundy won’t be picked to play over the next 2 - 4 weeks. Gawn is 32yo and a twisted ankle or a heavy flu virus away from disaster.

Manners and professional courtesy. Respecting the coaches, teammates and supporters of the club you’re contracted to on the eve of finals.

Brodie Grundy could’ve achieved that with a two minute phone call. But he chose not to.

Last edited:
Didn't we meet with Lever whilst they were still in finals?

Tex wasn't happy about it and apparently had words with him at half time of the Granny? Probably shows his head wasn't in the game if he's worried about Lever though. Same thing with Grundy, it's a business, as long as he hasn't cracked the sads at training and is still committed, which it sounds like he is, I don't really care.

Didn't we meet with Lever whilst they were still in finals?

Tex wasn't happy about it and apparently had words with him at half time of the Granny? Probably shows his head wasn't in the game if he's worried about Lever though. Same thing with Grundy, it's a business, as long as he hasn't cracked the sads at training and is still committed, which it sounds like he is, I don't really care.
Except we weren't in finals so it's not the same but close 👍

Except we weren't in finals so it's not the same but close 👍

That’s the whole key point. We’re playing finals … quite possibly against Port!

Also, how hard is it to have a private zoom meeting? Does Grundy really need to walk through the change rooms at Alberton so Zac Butters can say, “That’s a locker mate. That’s where we put our bags. That’s a shower. That’s where we take a shower.”

“Oh … that? That’s a toilet. That’s where you take a sh1t”.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s the whole key point. We’re playing finals … quite possibly against Port!
I'd be fine with him meeting with clubs out of the finals race, don't meet with a club who he might be literally playing in the team against in a prelim.

That's true and does change things a little.

I don't think he would give less than 100% in a final to sabotage his current team for the benefit for another club that he hasn't (and might not) get traded to.

But I guess the question would be there in the back of the minds of the selectors if he was fully committed or not if Gawny went down.

Bit of four-dimensional chess I think, no doubt Brodie was getting some nice information out of Kenny and co. for our flag campaign. He's a Dees man after all.

Last edited:
I keep coming back to Kozzie in my mind as the potential difference maker on Thursday night. He’s had a patchy season, a good game followed by two average to poor ones. His last three games to finish off the home and away were sub-par: just the two goals overall and an 8 touch/game average.

I get that it’s one of the most challenging roles on the ground but we’re really relying on Koz here to pull something out of the fire. Likely slippery conditions, bigger ground, he’s going to get enough crumbing opportunities to work with to do some serious damage.

Weave some magic.

A three goal, three goal assist game from Kozzie and we’re odds on to go straight into a home preliminary final. The stakes are massive. Pressure gauge right up high.

CF5EFB07-C9AF-48F2-8DA6-4C43A6777B4F.jpeg

Last edited:
Both Cox and Cameron playing according to Pies fans on twitter who are at McRae's presser.

I keep coming back to Kozzie in my mind as the potential difference maker on Thursday night. He’s had a patchy season, a good game followed by two average-poor ones. His last three games to finish off the home and away were sub-par: just the two goals overall and an 8 touch/game average.

I get that it’s one of the most challenging roles on the ground but we’re really relying on Koz here to pull something out of the fire. Likely slippery conditions, bigger ground, he’s going to get enough crumbing opportunities to work with to some serious damage. Weave some magic.

A three goal, three goal assist game from Kozzie and we’re odds on to go straight into a home preliminary final. The stakes are massive. Pressure gauge is on.

View attachment 1794302
Finals ain't about one bloke winning you the game. We will likely need him to stand up, as well as May, Lever, Gawn, Oliver, Trac and Fritsch.

Geez our selection will be interesting; it could go so many ways.

For Melk, do we bring T Mac straight in, or play J Smith as the defensive tall forward and get Trac to play more forward potentially?

For the third tall, do we retain Turner, who was OK against Sydney but still very raw, or do we go Tomlinson, who might be needed with Cox/Cameron? Or does J Smith go back, which then impacts the Melksham replacement up forward? Or, with it looking wet, does Hibberd play down back instead of a taller defender?

I do love the idea of Smith as the sub but there's an argument to be made he starts on field as either forward or defender.

Finals ain't about one bloke winning you the game. We will likely need him to stand up, as well as May, Lever, Gawn, Oliver, Trac and Fritsch.

No doubt. But at the end of the day the backs and forwards can do their thing (which they’ve done consistently all year) but if we don’t pile on score none of that will matter.

Our forward line is the weakest area of our 22. Can’t afford for Kozzie to have another stinker. It’s show and tell time for the little fella. Must lift.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back