Preview Preview/changes v. Collingwood @ MCG - Qualifying Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a gamble but I’m going for #ITK with definite possibility of Ben Brown fandom style ridicule if it proves bunkem.
Always appreciate the goss – think this is your first #ITK attempt, so if proven correct tomorrow night, we'll have no choice but to believe every rumour you post from here on in

Always appreciate the goss – think this is your first #ITK attempt, so if proven correct tomorrow night, we'll have no choice but to believe every rumour you post from here on in

If it gets up you can basically consider me on the match committee.

Jay Clark reporting TMac seems likely to play and Hibberd a chance to replace Turner.

Smith would be my choice too, but failing that I'd look at TMac as sub.
I think Smith will have more impact coming on the ground late than Tmac. The one thing Tmac has going for him is his aerobic capacity. Plus if Tmac is useless we can sub him off at half time and it won't really hurt our structure.

That last game he played when he took the ball out of the centre and decided not to kick the ball into the F50 but rather handball to someone who was going to be insta tackled just summed up why he should not be playing. Bad decisions ALL year.
He's lost a couple of yards, mentally. I wonder if its just because he finds himself being shopped about (hurt his ego) Or if he has just slowed down in mind.
Not a sharp footy tool.

Morning Dees fans

Only two days to go! Should be a ripper!

Both line-ups are significantly changed since King’s Birthday. The bookies have us (Pies) as slight favourites but most in the footy media think you’ll be too good.

A bit of rain probably helps Pies’ slow mids and blunts May and Lever’s aerial heroics. But I’m concerned we might be too top heavy with both Cox and Cameron playing.

Most intriguing to me is whether Howe plays in defence or up forward to make Lever accountable. I favour the latter but I think Fly favours the former. Thanks again for Howe, by the way. Got anyone else you want to send our way in the off-season? Perhaps Van Rooyen? Just not Grundy, OK?

The winner on Thurs is highly probable to make it all the way to the big dance, so it’s a huge opportunity for both sides. The stakes could barely be higher. Hopefully the bookies have got it right! Good luck Dees!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Lets wait and see what the weather brings, in the way of Pies lineup.

You already have 4 & 20... thats a bakers dozen of sorts. One more than others.:think:

I think Smith will have more impact coming on the ground late than Tmac. The one thing Tmac has going for him is his aerobic capacity. Plus if Tmac is useless we can sub him off at half time and it won't really hurt our structure.

Yep, and smith is a powerful athlete who you’d like being subbed in against tired oppo legs.

I dont feel sorry for him but there's no doubt the trade just hasnt worked from either party's perspective.

That said, these rumours circulating that he's already meeting with Port leave a bad taste in my mouth. The season and a premiership is still well and truly up for grabs - and Grundy could potentially still play a part in it if Gawn goes down (I'm not a religious man - but please God no).

It seems Grundy has calculated (probably correctly) he's absolutely no chance of playing again for us. So might as well shop himself around.
Well lets see if the Swans stump up for Him. Since Lance has been sent to Coventry.

They are cashed up... and they have a pick around P12...

Maybe we can do a trade with them Swannies for P12 to us, for Grundy and P24 (Freo's 2nd pick)...

Or Swans P12 & P22, for Grundy & our P15.? Even if we stump up some $$$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep coming back to Kozzie in my mind as the potential difference maker on Thursday night. He’s had a patchy season, a good game followed by two average to poor ones. His last three games to finish off the home and away were sub-par: just the two goals overall and an 8 touch/game average.

I get that it’s one of the most challenging roles on the ground but we’re really relying on Koz here to pull something out of the fire. Likely slippery conditions, bigger ground, he’s going to get enough crumbing opportunities to work with to do some serious damage.

Weave some magic.

A three goal, three goal assist game from Kozzie and we’re odds on to go straight into a home preliminary final. The stakes are massive. Pressure gauge right up high.

View attachment 1794302
I'm not worried about getting goals off Kozzy's boot, if its wet...

What I want from him is at least 6 score assists, and plenty of F50 pressure, causing turnovers to us. All else will be bonuses.

Keep your feet Kozzy, and don't leap for mark of the year, unless you are the only one to spoil them from marking it.

Jay Clark reporting TMac seems likely to play and Hibberd a chance to replace Turner.

Don't know if I love the idea if going smaller down back, even if it does rain. McStay and Mihocek aren't huge, but they're strong and play tall, plus Cox will be down there too.

Would rather a bit of extra tall support so that we can free up Lever. I want Hibbo in, but don't think I'd be bringing him back to play tall.

Wonder if they're considering Smith down back with McDonald in the side, then creating the Fritsch v Moore matchup that worked for us on KB.

No doubt. But at the end of the day the backs and forwards can do their thing (which they’ve done consistently all year) but if we don’t pile on score none of that will matter.

Our forward line is the weakest area of our 22. Can’t afford for Kozzie to have another stinker. It’s show and tell time for the little fella. Must lift.
I want to see Kozzy up around the centreline 50% of the game, and pushing back in with the F50 entry. Pinning our forward targets with the ball, by foot.

Our half forwards should play high, and with overlap with our halfbacks, who should push forward at the right times attacking. Bringing Rivers, Bowie, and Sparrow, Bray, ANB, and McChins into the play. All can kick goals on the run.

McVee and Salem need to be sharp.

Either way, double chance says Hi Dees.

Geez our selection will be interesting; it could go so many ways.

For Melk, do we bring T Mac straight in, or play J Smith as the defensive tall forward and get Trac to play more forward potentially?

For the third tall, do we retain Turner, who was OK against Sydney but still very raw, or do we go Tomlinson, who might be needed with Cox/Cameron? Or does J Smith go back, which then impacts the Melksham replacement up forward? Or, with it looking wet, does Hibberd play down back instead of a taller defender?

I do love the idea of Smith as the sub but there's an argument to be made he starts on field as either forward or defender.
Bring T Mac straight in...

I like the thought of being able to swing either Smith or TMc back to defence, if required. One is nicely mobile, and the other a strong body over his feet. To cover off they're tall forwards.

Turner is an option, as he played with composure last week. Would suit if its wet, in the Smith/TMc combo.

Play it hard on Moore, and Cox if he starts. We want to play hard physical footy, from the top.

Start him in the centre, get him engaged early. When we've given him centre bounces he's played his best games of the year vs Dogs and Crows. When we leave him up forward he gets cold and looks out of it.
We could start him forward, but instruct to play high up the ground. Lots of midfieldcentreline action from him.

Yep. Way too safe last year at the pointy end.

I'd rather we go down swinging and trying a few things, than the long, slow down the line stuff.
That was largely, Lever options. Instruct to go 'slow and safe', killed us last year.

We want run off the halfback line, thru the corridor... see Kozzy, Rivers, Bowie, Salem, & McVee.
Lever and May to stay home.

When was the last time 4th beat 1st in the QF? I'm sure it's happened, but not a lot.

I just struggle to see where we beat them. Best team all season, it's going to take a monumental effort to get over the line. I'd say we probably win 3 out of 10 in this game certainly a chance, but Pies are bloody strong. That touch on the line against Carlton could be the difference between a GF or not.

reckon there's a heap of pressure on the pies, lot of talk for them the past two seasons and nothing to show for it just yet.

We've flown under the radar a little with Brisbane being talked up too.

Will probs be shitting myself come Thursday arvo though.
They are the favourites, finishing top of the ladder H&A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back