Preview Preview/changes v. Collingwood @ MCG - Qualifying Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He definitely has, but De Goey hasn't really been playing forward much this year (only 15 goals for the season). Has been playing much more as a pure mid. If he does drift forward, someone like Riv could go to him – if we're picking Hibbo, I imagine it'd purely be to match up with Elliott

Interesting. I’d have the match-ups the other way ‘round. Elliot plays tall - would rather the extra reach/spoiling fist of a Rivers or McVee on him.

De Goey has been attending around 80% CBAs this year (most on their list). Hibbo wouldn't be playing on him – would likely be Hibberd to Elliott, McVee to Hill, Bowey to Ginnivan (last two interchangeable)
Yeah but that doesn't mean anything, he's a centre bounce then drift forward type like Dusty. Just have Gus man him at the bounce then Hibbo grabs him when he goes forward

Interesting. I’d have the match-ups the other way ‘round. Elliot plays tall - would rather the extra reach/spoiling fist of a Rivers or McVee on him.
Elliot's way too crafty for McVee right now. That match up could be a game decider, wouldn't be giving it to the youngest player in the side because Elliot will take McVee to the goalsquare whenever he can

Hibberds taller and a better defender than McVee. If pigs fit you give him the job.

Absolutely zero chance Hibberd will come in against Collingwood.

Regardless of what people think McVee will get the job on Elliot. Has had big jobs on the likes of Charlie Cameron and Dusty when resting up forward.

They've obviously had enormous faith in him all year in getting the big jobs that I highly doubt that'll change in finals.

Big task indeed.

Yeah but that doesn't mean anything, he's a centre bounce then drift forward type like Dusty. Just have Gus man him at the bounce then Hibbo grabs him when he goes forward
That's the point I'm making though – he isn't playing that role as much anymore. Lowest goals per game since his first season, as he's playing more as a pure mid. Some of his recent heatmaps paint more of a picture:

Screenshot_20230831_231735_AFL.jpg Screenshot_20230831_231756_AFL.jpg Screenshot_20230831_231522_AFL.jpg Screenshot_20230831_231958_Gallery.jpg

Anyway, of course they could always throw him forward, I just wouldn't be picking Hibbo with a role on De Goey in mind.

I'd be picking Hibbo if we wanted a more experienced head for Elliott. If he gets a hold of McVee, we don't really have other small lockdown types to switch onto him.

That's the point I'm making though – he isn't playing that role as much anymore. Lowest goals per game since his first season, as he's playing more as a pure mid. Some of his recent heatmaps paint more of a picture:

View attachment 1791380View attachment 1791381View attachment 1791383View attachment 1791384

His raw numbers are mediocre for the role he’s playing. Strange use of him but it seems to be working within their system. Can’t argue with 18 wins.

Prefer him as far away from the goal mouth as possible to be honest.

Yeah which is fine but we've had pig take dusty up in the middle for Anzac eve aswell. Guess Gus could do the same thing
Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely team Hibbo. Gives us more flexibility in the case that they chuck De Goey or Howe down there too. Just feel more confident with him in the side next to McVee and Bowey (not to take anything away from Juddy, who's been brilliant).

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely team Hibbo. Gives us more flexibility in the case that they chuck De Goey or Howe down there too. Just feel more confident with him in the side next to McVee and Bowey (not to take anything away from Juddy, who's been brilliant).
Yeah finals are just a different bag. Rivers is brilliant now but he was horrific in the 21 finals series.
Id be bloody worried isolating McVee under the spotlight against Elliot who's a ****ing gun.

Collingwood are a strong, big bodied side. As pretty much all premiership contenders are. I’d like to see us load up with all of Pig, Tomo and TMac in this one. Big boys, experienced heads. It’s going to be a brutal game with a huge prize on the line. Don’t die wondering on account of a lack of physicality.

Collingwood are a physical, big bodied side. As pretty much all premiership contenders are. I’d like to see us load up with all of Pig, Tomo and TMac in this one. Big boys, experienced heads. It’s going to be a brutal game with a huge prize on the line.
First 2 yes, Tmac no. Not enough forward pressure against a team that attacks from defence. We need 6 defensive forwards as much as we need them to be attacking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First 2 yes, Tmac no. Not enough forward pressure against a team that attacks from defence. We need 6 defensive forwards as much as we need them to be attacking

We need some goals too. Has to be the right balance where we aren’t hoping to grind out a 10 goal to 9 goal win like last time. TMac kicked 5 for Casey. It’s worth the risk and JVR will be better for the support. Don’t ask too much of a 19yo JVR in a QF.

We need some goals too. Has to be the right balance where we aren’t hoping to grind out a 10 goal to 9 goal win like last time. TMac kicked 5 for Casey. It’s worth the risk and JVR will be better for the support. Don’t ask too much of a 19yo JVR in a QF.
Tmac is very very far from guaranteeing goals. An if he doesn't kick goals he offered less than nothing same as Brown.
A goalless smith can still lay some tackles and pressure the footy.

Tmac is very very far from guaranteeing goals. An if he doesn't kick goals he offered less than nothing same as Brown.
A goalless smith can still lay some tackles and pressure the footy.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Pies will go in with Mihocek, McStay and Cox. At our end a JVR and Joel Smith combo ain’t gonna be aerially strong or potent enough.

Look, I'm a bigger fan of Hibberd more then anyone.

But some have short memories. The last time Hibberd played on Elliot was round 21 last year and Elliot completely towelled him up by kicking 4 goals and being far too nimble and quick for him. Remember clearly thinking after that game how Hibberd was surprisingly fumbly and gave Elliot far too much space.

The last time when Hibberd played a full game this year was against Geelong where he was matched up against Gary ****ing Rohan and Rohan had 16 disposals 7 marks and kicked 3.2.

Father time has caught up to him unfortunately and it's no coincidence that we haven't seen him back in a full game capacity since. Just don't think there's a role for him in the senior side unless there's an injury to the likes of Bowey, McVee, Salem or Rivers.

I’ve certainly got my worries with the Elliot match up as well, and if he gets off the leash then I'm not sure what plan B is. Rivers?

Pies will go in with Mihocek, McStay and Cox. At our end a JVR and Joel Smith combo ain’t gonna be aerially strong or potent enough.
Different game styles. We are the number side at a forward half game, pies are number one at a defensive half game.

They want to attack from defence, we want to pin sides in.

Hell probably flog us but Cox has been shit as mate.

I think they'll go with Tmac too.

Just the way Goody has been pumping him up recently in the media and also because they'll probably want another key forward next to JVR to take some heat off him entering finals.

Trust me, I'd rather no Tmac but I understand the logic why he may be selected.... I think..

I think they'll go with Tmac too.

Just the way Goody has been pumping him up recently in the media and also because they'll probably want another key forward next to JVR to take some heat off him entering finals.

Trust me, I'd rather no Tmac but I understand the logic why he may be selected.... I think..

I think it was probably line ball with Goody until TMac dobbed 5 for Casey. Not my favourite player either but it is what it is. Our forward line was the big question mark heading into the season. Going to have ride our luck to the flag with the thin stocks we’ve got.

I think it was probably line ball with Goody until TMac dobbed 5 for Casey. Not my favourite player either but it is what it is. Our forward line was the big question mark heading into the season. Going to have ride our luck to the flag with the thin stocks we’ve got.
Forward line issue is way over sold. Brisbane scored 101 more points than us across the entire season despite having a far greater forward line and us having injuries and rotations every week. We were better defensively by 111 points to Brisbane.

So for every extra goal they kicked than us they gave it up defensively anyway
Finals aren't normally won 120-110. Everyone's pressure ramps up then it becomes a defence first game which includes defending from the front

Forward line issue is way over sold. Brisbane scored 101 more points than us across the entire season despite having a far greater forward line and us having injuries and rotations every week. We were better defensively by 111 points to Brisbane.

So for every extra goal they kicked than us they gave it up defensively anyway
Finals aren't normally won 120-110. Everyone's pressure ramps up then it becomes a defence first game which includes defending from the front
Agreed - finals blow outs happen typically because one side gets completely overawed (2018 PF, 2021 Port PF) or one team breaks the other in a grind part way through the third quarter.

Otherwise they're low scoring grinds til the end... Which is good for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back