Psd & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Weaver said, the order is far from fixed. Not sure when it will be, but clubs are entitled to move eligible veterans on and off the (outside) veteran's list any time up until 2 weeks after the PSD (IIRC). Sydney, for example, could put MOL or Leo Barry on their vets list and so could have up to 2 picks in the PSD.

Salary cap is potentially an issue, but against the background of a multi-million cap you'd hope that the $40,000-odd you're paying a late draftee isn't going to bust you over.

Also, it's part of the CBA that all clubs must have 38 players on their senior list (excluding outside veterans, excluding rookies): no more, no fewer. St K are obviously 3 short the way things have been structured at the moment: so if they really are only planning to use one or two picks in the PSD, they'll need to move Harvey (and someone else?) off the veterans list.

A WA kid that I forgot - Callum Wilson from South Freo. KPP who kicked 5 in a WAFL seniors game. Had injuries but might make a rookie. 1988 birth.

wilson would be just about the best WA prospect available IMO, without being too south-freo biased. found out recently that he was playing WAFL colts as a 15/16 year old in 2004 and played in the colts grand final of that year. add that to a few league games in a strong WAFL team and a 5 goal game this year and its a pretty impressive CV. if his injuries are kept at bay he will be a fantastic get for anyone who rookies him.

BFTW do you think colbung will get rookie listed? i rate him very highly, i cant see that talent going to waste but i would assume you have more idea than i do. similar to the matt virgo situation in that it will be sad to see them playing very well in the WAFL but touted as being too small and slow for the AFL.

wilson would be just about the best WA prospect available IMO
Played 3 League games, included 5 goals on debut (4 sandover votes that day)
Whilst from this 14 colts games, only recieved 2 one votes from the umpires.
Not convinced about him, and wouldnt be suprised if he wasnt listed.
Although as said before, has had injuries.. pelvic fracture in mid 2005

BFTW do you think colbung will get rookie listed?
No reason why he wouldnt, got plenty of WAFL senior experience this year.
Eagles would have to be a chance to grab him.

Other possibilities from WA's
Matt Virgo (Subi)
Bryce Thornton (PT)
Daniel Macaulay (EP) Colts Premiership Captain / =3rd Jack Clarke Medal
Trevor Oliver (EP) Played State 18's for NT
Sharrod Wellingham (P) Interst from Brisbane
Ben Howlett (PT)
Dom Foster (EF)
Jamie McNamara (EF)
Dane Ugle (PT)

Danny Chartes (PT) 194cm Utility - Interest from Richmond & WCE
Matthew Seal (EP) Training with WB currently
Clint Jones (SF) 2005/2006 SF League B&F

4th tier i know that i realy only know the suby boys but surely out of subiaco you would have to say joel ohalloran if you wont stats etc. ahg player of the year,colts team of the year taylor medal at suby, leading goal kicker for wafl, three games kicking eight goals is a chance at rookie

4th tier i know that i realy only know the suby boys but surely out of subiaco you would have to say joel ohalloran if you wont stats etc. ahg player of the year,colts team of the year taylor medal at suby, leading goal kicker for wafl, three games kicking eight goals is a chance at rookie

As far as I know, Joel O'Halloran didnt nominate for the Draft

He had a great year in the colts as a 19 y.o though

that true i believe he didnt but i am also pretty sure he is still only 18 turning 19 in december i supose you would only nominate if there was interest shown in you but still cant see why he would not be a rookie chance?

that true i believe he didnt but i am also pretty sure he is still only 18 turning 19 in december i supose you would only nominate if there was interest shown in you but still cant see why he would not be a rookie chance?

Yeah, turns 19 on the 24th December, was just trying to get at, he was an older player... this season would have been his 3rd year of colts at least.

If he hasnt nominated for the National Draft, it means he cant be picked up as a rookie, as by nominating for the ND it allows you to be picked up in the rookie draft as well... correct me if im wrong.

I do believe, had he nominated - there may have been a chance he would have been looked at by an WA club or perhaps Adelaide for a rookie listing position.

I believe that you are right about O Halloran's situation. If he didn't nominate - and they are closed now - he can't be selected in RD. I cannot believe that any kid playing colts and having a season where he made team opf the year didn't nominate.

Re Colbung - I too am a wrap. He is different to most of the other indigenous kids in that he is not super quick and flashy but he can play, in and under and genuinely tough. I've got a feeling that he will assessed like Matty Virgo and considered not quick enough. A real shame as he is a good kid too with leadershiop qualities.

Daniel Macaulay (EP) Colts Premiership Captain / =3rd Jack Clarke Medal

What do you think the chances are of Daniel Macauley making a rookie list? In addition to colts premiership captain / = 3rd Jack Clarke Medal also made Colts Team Of The Year and also won F & B for EP Colts

Look - all you day-dreaming people who think you can get another leg-up for next season; that's it, if they are seventeen year olds and have been overlooked in the national draft it is over for them until next year.

That is unless the AFL have suddenly waved their magic wands in a low-key fashion and changed the draft rules - I highly doubt it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe we will be de-listing at least one player by Friday, which is the last cut off date for de-listing players and will have the first pick in the PSD.

Essendon and Carlton have offered contracts and are tied to those players they have picked (as it also frees them to train with those clubs). AFL said Mal is free to go to Essendon if he wants so there are green lights in relation to that.

We also have four rookie spots to fill as we elevated or de-listed our four rookies this year.

Yeah the roos delisted hutchison and will redraft him as a rookie, there fore allowing us one more spot on our list for the psd, and today at training Leigh Adams trained with us, so he is looking like a likely candidate for the first live pick in the psd, which i think is great he has great skills and is a born leader

I believe that you are right about O Halloran's situation. If he didn't nominate - and they are closed now - he can't be selected in RD. I cannot believe that any kid playing colts and having a season where he made team opf the year didn't nominate.

Re Colbung - I too am a wrap. He is different to most of the other indigenous kids in that he is not super quick and flashy but he can play, in and under and genuinely tough. I've got a feeling that he will assessed like Matty Virgo and considered not quick enough. A real shame as he is a good kid too with leadershiop qualities.

Sounds like Troy Cook. Clubs could do worse than have a Troy Cook on their list.

What's the deal with Nugent, I've heard his name bandied around here a bit?
197cm 90kg ruckman from East Fremantle. No 2 ruckman to Leuenberger at 18s carnival. Didn't get much game time but played solidly against SA (Jacobs) in Game 3.

Returned from carnival with a knee injury. Discovered that he had been carrying it all season. Missed several games when he got back but then played out season in difficult circumstances.

Played in Prelim Final with a broken rib and never flinched - pretty tough.

Spoke to my spy at East Freo yesterday and he reports that he has recovered from the knee - no surgery but serious bone bruising. No on going issues.

During the State Team try outs he played against Claremont League team and had a great tussle with Michel Gardiner.

Takes a good mark, deadly around goal.

To my mind, makes an ideal rookie pick particularly for WA teams who both have space for a ruckman.

Technically advanced ruck skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Psd & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back