Putt v Graham

Remove this Banner Ad

rocklovelive

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Now I know that both are very young and very inexperianced, and it is stupid to say which is better than which .. that isn't what I'm asking.

What I want to know is ..

Which player is further along with their development?
Which player would Richmond choose if injuries hit?

Now I know that both are very young and very inexperianced, and it is stupid to say which is better than which .. that isn't what I'm asking.

What I want to know is ..

Which player is further along with their development?
Which player would Richmond choose if injuries hit?

Graham would have to be pretty bad if he is not the prefered Ruckman over Putt at this point in time.

Grahams got a body which will see him be chosen over Putt for at least the next 3 yrs..
A better question is can we have Graham, Putt and Pattison all in our side around similar ages? will one be traded in future? or perhaps Pattison develop into an athletic CHF

Grahams got a body which will see him be chosen over Putt for at least the next 3 yrs..
A better question is can we have Graham, Putt and Pattison all in our side around similar ages? will one be traded in future? or perhaps Pattison develop into an athletic CHF

I would imagine Patto might be developed along the lines of a Benny Gale type, as a versatile KP player/ part time ruckman.

Graham's Work Ethic provided him with the opportunity to be elevated from the Rookie List.

Putt still has a point to prove at this stage.

But Healthy competition within the Club for a Playing Spot can only be beneficial.

Graham is a bit rubbish but tries hard and is working at getting better. He competes, but lacks talent. His development is probably a year or two behind most 18 year old ruckmen ... his junior footy was all over the shop and he didn't get much development.

Putt has been developed pretty well. He had 3 seasons at the Cannons and was playing every week. However is a pretty poor ruckman, and probably 4th-5th choice for Metro. All his good footy has been as a forward. So he still needs a lot of development work to play ruck.

Richmond would be hoping that neither player is needed these next 2 years and that Simmonds and Pattison do the work. Also that Polak, Schulz, Hughes or Reiwoldt stand up and Pattison and Putt are not needed up forward.

Graham is a bit rubbish but tries hard and is working at getting better. He competes, but lacks talent. His development is probably a year or two behind most 18 year old ruckmen ... his junior footy was all over the shop and he didn't get much development.

Putt has been developed pretty well. He had 3 seasons at the Cannons and was playing every week. However is a pretty poor ruckman, and probably 4th-5th choice for Metro. All his good footy has been as a forward. So he still needs a lot of development work to play ruck.

Richmond would be hoping that neither player is needed these next 2 years and that Simmonds and Pattison do the work. Also that Polak, Schulz, Hughes or Reiwoldt stand up and Pattison and Putt are not needed up forward.

Do you think we made the wrong choice then weaver?,should we have gone for bellchambers instead of putt?.

If you can give Putt, Graham's work ethic then we'll be on a winner.

Graham is not naturally talented but he works his butt off, competes well and has made steady improvement. Physically, looks in great shape.

Putt looks to have some talent but "goes missing" during games. If he works as hard as Angus he will have considerable upside.

I think Ruckman are overrated in what they contribute to a team.

I think it is more important to have elite rovers to contest the clearences or even win the ball from the other rovers. Even the best Ruckman in the competition would not be of any use (in the hit outs) if he had poor rovers to receive his hit outs and turns it over easily.

As long as the ruckman can negate the oposition ruckman from winning too many of the hit outs then he has done his job, it does not matter too much if he wins the contest himself. Elite ruckman are a nice bonus to have, but not essential.

Do you think we made the wrong choice then weaver?,should we have gone for bellchambers instead of putt?.

This Bellchambers fixation has to die. He is a slow, clumsy, tap-ruckman who does nothing around the ground.

We definately should have taken Putt. However there are too many over-excited posters on this forum who have in their mind that kids walk straight into the AFL.

Putt and Rance will barely play next year. Cotchin will make a similar impact to Edwards. A handy contributor in 12-14 games with maybe a couple of good ones in that mix.

Saying Putt needs 2-3 years development is stock-standard for junior ruckmen. You don't play ruck in the AFL as a teenager.

This Bellchambers fixation has to die. He is a slow, clumsy, tap-ruckman who does nothing around the ground.

We definately should have taken Putt. However there are too many over-excited posters on this forum who have in their mind that kids walk straight into the AFL.

Putt and Rance will barely play next year. Cotchin will make a similar impact to Edwards. A handy contributor in 12-14 games with maybe a couple of good ones in that mix.

Saying Putt needs 2-3 years development is stock-standard for junior ruckmen. You don't play ruck in the AFL as a teenager.

He sounds like another trent knobel.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes you would expect him to but the simple facts are that he doesnt

does his best work up forward atm, like weaver said needs plenty of work on his rucking

maybe we can develop him into richo's replacement.

Unfortunatly there aren't many 200cm+ power fowards

Putty will play through Coburg reserves for most of the year you would think anyway:

- Richmond: Simmonds, Pattison
- Coburg: Ronaldson (c), Graham
- Coburg Ressies: Putt

Unfortunatly there aren't many 200cm+ power fowards

Salmon was certainly one...until he went down with a knee that is!

With Wallace going for a team of greyhounds, I would like to see our FF of the 200+ variety, one on one, and see if they want to sacrifice one extra deep to double team. Long kicking mids that can from outside 50 if they get a full flood on. So Schulz and Clever can start fighting with Patto for CHF, or piss off. Rotate mobile 200+ rucks through FF! Putt maybe the guy.

Even if he is useless we need a backup backup ruckman if injuries are mean to our ruckman like this year.

A teenager is not a backup ruckman. A teenager will be a backup ruckman in 3 years time. We saw it this year when even though we had a ruck crisis they did not promote Graham and play him.

A teenager is not a backup ruckman. A teenager will be a backup ruckman in 3 years time. We saw it this year when even though we had a ruck crisis they did not promote Graham and play him.

Even a teenager is better than richards.

I think Ruckman are overrated in what they contribute to a team.

I think it is more important to have elite rovers to contest the clearences or even win the ball from the other rovers. Even the best Ruckman in the competition would not be of any use (in the hit outs) if he had poor rovers to receive his hit outs and turns it over easily.

As long as the ruckman can negate the oposition ruckman from winning too many of the hit outs then he has done his job, it does not matter too much if he wins the contest himself. Elite ruckman are a nice bonus to have, but not essential.
Surely you forgot the smiley?????

You argue against yourself in the 3rd paragraph - if what you say is true then why do you need to negate the opposition ruckman?

(Good) ruckman contribute a lot more to team structure, balance and capability than just tapping the ball at hitouts. Ask Grant Thomas what he thinks with the benefit of hindsight.

Apparently GM and RFC see Putt as a power forward, he led Calders goal kicking for awhile this year, some are saying Putt needs 3 years before he gets a game but have a look at Westoff's impact, still most likely needs more time of course.

Angus plays for the team (going back out with a broken ankle and his huge work ethic). Apparently Dean Cox was pretty ordinary at the big gooses age too, have faith in the big goose as a ruckmen. :thumbsu:

I find it interesting that everything from the club has described Putt as a power forward.

I'm sure they have in the back of their minds that he can play ruck, and they will do some work on him there, but I'd guess he's being targeted more at the Richo/Schulz position.

Which puts us back to needing someone to play ruck in the longer term....

Bellchambers isn't an option...I know some people like the sound of him, but Wallace just wont go for a guy who wont contribute around the ground. I think he thinks that the 'ideal' ruckman will negate the opposition at the taps, and beat him around the ground. That so many other clubs passed on Bellchambers shows he's not Robinson Crusoe in that regard.

I'm not sure what other big/mobile/athletic ruckmen are left, but lets find one and Rookie him. ( maybe even 2...if not, get another next year ).

We do need an older ruckman though...Simmonds wont have a full pre-season, his fitness must be considered 'dodgy' and we can't risk him going down again. I don't really care who it is, but we need someone as insurance for the next 1 or 2 years...and lets hope they never get a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Putt v Graham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back