Toast QF = Collingwood 60-53 Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it helps Maynard's case he hit Brayshaw who has had a history with concussion. That shouldn't come into it, but undoubtedly will.

From what I saw, the act was at worst, slightly careless in the sense he probably wasn't stopping Brayshaw's kick but it was a long way off malicious. Just because Brayden Maynard plays on edge does not mean he was trying to murder Brayshaw.

It's not about just stopping the kick it is pressuring brayshaw to effect the accuracy and angle of his kick.

You don't have to make contact with the ball to effect the kick.

I can't believe how many out there think we were lucky to win, or that Melbourne were the better team. Outscored them in 3 out of 4 quarters. Should really have been 6 goals up at half time. They got a really cheap one to start the last and had full momentum, but we held up. We only lost clearances by 4, and overall disposals by 6 and most of that was due to their control of the last.

The final scoreline flattered them.

It’s just salt from an industry that had spent the last 2 weeks men in black wiping the fact that we finished top and Melbourne had been fairly average most of the season in an attempt to invalidate our credentials as a premiership threat.

Melbourne never actually looked like winning that game

So much so they needed the umps to keep them in it each time we looked like pulling away

Gave the Dees an armchair ride all night and still couldn't win it for them.

Umpire 11 should hand his resignation in this morning and so should whoever appointed him the game last night.

Disgraceful performance.
Are you guys referring to the Cox one where he went for the pill and they said he got him below the knees. I
Unfortunately, I think Maynard will get weeks. Hope like hell to be wrong.
If its because he was concussed, then the whole game should be scrapped. Head high contact can happen in so many ways. Slow motion is a double edged sword. Great for showing contact, terrible for drawing out split seconds and creating the illusion that time stands still and player can do more than what maynard did there, a reflex action to save his ribs. Should maynard just let him rip into his internal organs.

Ive seen some folks on here are upset about the umpiring. What stood out. There was the cox thing when he gets the ball and contacts petracca below his knees, there was a holding the ball on josh daicos that i thought was harsh there was really no prior(he just looked the way a player looks when he is caught holding it, unsuspecting) but he had no time to do anything. I dont remember any others. Maybe a deliberate out of bounds call. It does feel like our players are held often perhaps because we are collingwood focused when we watch the game. If you watch a centre bounce, there can be 3 holding decisions but one gets paid. How do you even umpire that.

After hearing simon goodwin's comments, I think the AFL needs to get longterm concussion suffers to sign waivers or acknowledgements relating to their concussion history.

I think that if brayshaw was elbowed like dan mcstay was elbowed last night, he would be suffering from concussion today. I say that in the same speculative way that the AFL is making its decisions on these matters.

It would appear that Goodwin thinks that brayshaw's previous concussion history has an impact on last nights incident. If that's the case, then his opponents have a right to know if they may be doing long-term damage.

I know a number of normal workers who have been effectively dismissed or moved to other jobs because their employer believes a past injury stops them from doing their job safely - employers call it their duty of care. I think that the AFL may have a duty to stop brayshaw playing again, unless he can give an undertaking that he is as likely to get concussion as the "normal" AFL player.

Yep.

The carry on from Dees fans at the ground over the Maynard incident was hilarious. Absolutely pathetic bunch of supporters.

They’re massive bandwagon supporters. When Melbourne was crap they were nowhere to be seen

I think Maynard will get rubbed out

Sent from my iPhone using BigF

I don't think it helps Maynard's case he hit Brayshaw who has had a history with concussion. That shouldn't come into it, but undoubtedly will.

From what I saw, the act was at worst, slightly careless in the sense he probably wasn't stopping Brayshaw's kick but it was a long way off malicious. Just because Brayden Maynard plays on edge does not mean he was trying to murder Brayshaw.
I don't think concussion history should come into any decision. Nor should concussion for that matter. It's either a suspension worthy incident or it isn't. Bradshaw's concussion history means he's more susceptible. If anything you could argue if it was someone else there would be no concussion. And if Brayshaw wasn't knocked out no one would be talking about this incident.

Have to laugh at this narrative from the media and “neutrals” that we were lucky due to the inside 50 count.

One team gets their entries with forwards running goal side, working in acres of space, often resulting in set shots from 20m. The other bombs repeatedly to a pack of 20 players with nobody able to mark it, and then presses up high that results in multiple entries at a time.

This is the kind of thing that surprises you if you’re a moron.
This.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe how many out there think we were lucky to win, or that Melbourne were the better team. Outscored them in 3 out of 4 quarters. Should really have been 6 goals up at half time. They got a really cheap one to start the last and had full momentum, but we held up. We only lost clearances by 4, and overall disposals by 6 and most of that was due to their control of the last.

The final scoreline flattered them.

Classic game where if you play it in reverse, everyone would say we’re worldbeaters, kicking 4 goals to 1 in the last to run over the top of them.

It’s just recency bias.

Have to laugh at this narrative from the media and “neutrals” that we were lucky due to the inside 50 count.

One team gets their entries with forwards running goal side, working in acres of space, often resulting in set shots from 20m. The other bombs repeatedly to a pack of 20 players with nobody able to mark it, and then presses up high that results in multiple entries at a time.

This is the kind of thing that surprises you if you’re a moron.
Can't believe how many people been falling for the i50 count. It literally just means the ball entered your forward 50 with no indication as to how the ball was delivered in there.

There should really be some sort of AI/algorithmically generated stat for "high % i50s" - meaning i50s that have a more than 50% predicted chance of resulting in a score of some sort. Don't know if Dees could have cracked 25% on that.

Maybe in the court of public opinion perhaps, but I strongly doubt Brayshaw's history with concussions is factored into the case at all, as its not in any way relevant.

It all comes down to what the incident is deemed to be. As in, was it a 'careless' action on Maynard's part, or merely an unfortunate footy collision? (ala the Tom McCartin case at Sydney) Maynard had to protect himself in the air there, too.

Edited for phrasing.

Last edited:
Can't believe how many people been falling for the i50 count. It literally just means the ball entered your forward 50 with no indication as to how the ball was delivered in there.

There should really be some sort of AI/algorithmically generated stat for "high % i50s" - meaning i50s that have a more than 50% predicted chance of resulting in a score of some sort. Don't know if Dees could have cracked 25% on that.
yep, reckon simplest way to do this is count "how many opposition players were in the defensive 50 when the ball went inside 50?" If there were more than say 6, then its a low quality inside 50. If there were less than 6 its a high quality inside 50. Take that metric and apply it to this game, a lot of our inside 50s in the first half there were no Melbourne defenders inside 50. Most of Melbournes entries we had almost our entire team clogging it up.

Do you think there's anything in the fact that several teams have had ranging from fairly-very inaccurate scoring against us? Or just pure coincidence/chance?
First Adelaide game where they kicked 7.16.
Sydney kicked 6.12.
GWS 7.13.
1st Carlton 7.15.
Melb KB 8.18.
Suns 5.12
2nd Essendon 3.13.

Footy Meeja: “Defence wins Premierships, Offence sells memeberships”

Collingwood:
Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Do you think there's anything in the fact that several teams have had ranging from fairly-very inaccurate scoring against us? Or just pure coincidence/chance?
First Adelaide game where they kicked 7.16.
Sydney kicked 6.12.
GWS 7.13.
1st Carlton 7.15.
Melb KB 8.18.
Suns 5.12
2nd Essendon 3.13.
i think its generally the difficulty of the shots they are taking. Collingwood have defended in a way where the other team rarely has an easy kick in front of goal

Ive seen some folks on here are upset about the umpiring. What stood out. There was the cox thing when he gets the ball and contacts petracca below his knees, there was a holding the ball on josh daicos that i thought was harsh there was really no prior(he just looked the way a player looks when he is caught holding it, unsuspecting) but he had no time to do anything.
If Josh was holding the ball, so was Lever.

There was also another uncalled clear kicking in danger on Gawn about 3:15 into the game.

Fritsch got a free for nothing in a marking contest, we were just lucky that Langdon took the advantage and ****ed it up.

Bowey threw it on the boundary line.

MacDonald dropped it should have been holding the ball.

Petracca dropped it and got a holding the man free in front of goal.

Mihocek had his arms taken out in the marking contest, BT called it a “body spoil” by May. Goes up the other end and we have a chopping the arms free paid against us.

Gawn got away with multiple clear shoves flat in the back of his opposing ruck.

I could go on…

Two years in a row our tackling has gone unrewarded by umpires in the qualifying finals. I lost count of how many times it happened last night. I understand wanting to put the whistle away a little bit more in finals, but holding the ball calls are really the only 'positive' free kicks, if that makes sense? It's such a disadvantage as a pressure team to just see them put the whistle away.

Are you guys basing this off the ratings system?
As in no intent, high contact, low-medium impact. Etc
Wasn't even a hard hit Brayshaw has a history of fly's landing on his head and being concussed.

Surely you aren't advocating that this type of incident is a reportable offence?

There are precedents where it is deemed unavoidable football act.

Plus Brayshaw turns into Maynard and, not away from him to avoid the contact nor does he brace or try protect himself from the impact.

Brayshaw if you have ever paid attention to him, often looks to "take the hit high" to abuse the DoC rules and gain free kicks or downfield frees to advantage his side.
I think it’s such a grey area now that Christian will take the easy way out and send him straight to the tribunal.

Maybe in the court of public opinion perhaps, but I strongly doubt Brayshaw's history with concussions is factored into the case at all, as its not in any way relevant.

It all comes down to how the collision is categorized, as in, was it a 'careless' action on Maynard's part, or merely an unfortunate footy collision? (ala the Tom McCartin case at Sydney) Maynard had to protect himself in the air there, too.

It was a collision, just like what happened to Bont earlier this year. Not classifiable.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast QF = Collingwood 60-53 Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back