Preview QF1 Geelong v Collingwood Sat Sept 3 2022, 435pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit hard to apply pressure when you have possession too I would've thought.

I think the P word holds the key to our Flag prospects to be honest.

If we apply sufficient pressure to cater for our turnover game we are very strong at converting that turnover into a score. Big Tick
Conversely if we can absorb opposition pressure and maintain our disposal efficiency we starve the opposition of the footy. Big Tick.

We have rejigged our game plan to cope with Finals pressure - the next few weeks will see if that's the missing piece of the premiership puzzle :think:

Somebody posted stats that we were mid table in pressure ratings in the most recent rounds. Like bruv how much pressure do you need to beat the bloody saints and suns?

At least we are actually getting past scrub teams easily enough instead of having to scrap and fight into the last quarter.

The old Daicos theory, you don't tackle if you've always got the ball

Very smug collingwood supporters on the main board …hopefully they are very quiet next week

To be fair they've got nothing to lose. If we belt them they'll just go the 'We were just happy to be there' route.

Of course it's completely untrue...as their side isn't nearly as young as they like to make out, but it's just how they cope.

Very smug collingwood supporters on the main board …hopefully they are very quiet next week
It was funny reading "stats" about how we don't go coast to coast that often, which means we "can't do it" (their words), which makes the Pies better than us.

The reason we don't go coast to coast that often is because we don't need to, the ball doesn't rebound outside our F50 like it does for most clubs, and we don't give clubs 80 I50s like the Pies do.

Keep reading commentary about how the Pies have improved since R3. I'd say we've improved just as much if not more, and we easily had their measure.

Bring it on.

It was funny reading "stats" about how we don't go coast to coast that often, which means we "can't do it" (their words), which makes the Pies better than us.

The reason we don't go coast to coast that often is because we don't need to, the ball doesn't rebound outside our F50 like it does for most clubs, and we don't give clubs 80 I50s like the Pies do.

Keep reading commentary about how the Pies have improved since R3. I'd say we've improved just as much if not more, and we easily had their measure.

Bring it on.
R3 didn't count though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres a few who keep bringing up that we are "clinging onto Rd 3" and not acknowledging that they have changed their style and improved, while at the same time they haven't done the same for us.

Feels like they expect our team to rock up, expect they are playing a minnow and have walked the game by half time. Our players will be going there expecting a massive contest in front of a massive crowd.

Theres a few who keep bringing up that we are "clinging onto Rd 3" and not acknowledging that they have changed their style and improved, while at the same time they haven't done the same for us.

Feels like they expect our team to rock up, expect they are playing a minnow and have walked the game by half time. Our players will be going there expecting a massive contest in front of a massive crowd.
I think some just have an inferiority complex

3rd man up but yeah. I think byrnes wouldve been first choice. I think one of the old guys not in the tean wanted Guthrie to be emergency for the experince but I could be imagining things. Can anybody confirm or deny?
Geelong
B: Josh Hunt, Matthew Scarlett, Tom Lonergan
HB: Corey Enright, Harry Taylor, David Wojcinski
C: Joel Selwood, Jimmy Bartel, Andrew Mackie
HF: Steve Johnson, Tom Hawkins, Travis Varcoe
F: Trent West, James Podsiadly, Paul Chapman
Foll: Brad Ottens, Cameron Ling, Joel Corey
I/C: James Kelly, Mathew Stokes, Allen Christensen, Mitch Duncan
Emg: Shannon Byrnes, Darren Milburn, Cameron Guthrie

Geelong
I can't see anyone there that is going to play that lead-up, Cam Mooney role.

Geelong
Yeah I knew Guthrie was sub but I'm not sure if that story about giving a young kid experience is legit or not

Was thinking about the one other time in recent years Geelong have maybe been considered flag favourites heading into week 1 of finals:

What a nightmare the 2019 QF against the same opponent was, even outside of dropping Stanley.

Sidebottom turned into peak GAJ for the night. Adams and Treloar ran us off our feet. Collingwood's midfield depth exposed ours badly. Howe and Moore marked/repelled everything. Even Stephenson was lively.

We only had Danger and later on Kelly try to carry the team on their backs. Stewart was good. But GAJ, Sel and Rohan had dog days, Hawkins kicked 0.4, the defence was flustered and Duncan got injured first half.

From that day, probably outs: Kelly, Ablett, Sav, Henderson, Taylor, MOC (?), Narkle, Menegola, Dahl.

Ins: C.Guthrie, Stanley, Cameron, SDK, Smith, Stengle, Close, Holmes, Zuthrie (?)

I don’t think he has tailed off, rather I would suggest that the styles of the last 2 games have not suited him.

He is at his best in high pressure, physical contests. The last 2 games were low intensity, bruise free footy to a large degree. That doesn’t suit Atkins at all, and meant that he was never going to shine in those games.

He will be just fine when the heat is back on.
I also think he might have been told to back off and preserve a bit, hence med sub last game thought that didn't last long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back