Preview QF1 Geelong v Collingwood Sat Sept 3 2022, 435pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Guthrie is a late out I worry as to when he might be back in .. got a bad feeling as soon as I saw Dangerfield barrel into his shoulder. Could be a collarbone.

He wore the non contact hat last week.

Light contact Tuesday.
They must of ramped up contract at training today.

Pafitt got to be sub just in case.

It's worse than a marketing nightmare; it makes a mockery of their entire equalisation policy.

I truly believe they will attempt to manipulate the salary cap rules to account for those players willing to take less money for a change in lifestyle / chasing success and culture over money.
Reverse COLA?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Kind of surprised Parfitt is dropped. Think he is a better player than Atkins, but Atkins adds a lot of defensive pressure and hardness to the balance.

Think they have made a mistake with Parfitt not in there tbh. His numbers were very good leading into finals, and pre injury.

Personally, I would've played one of Kolo or Zuthrie, and kept Parfitt.

Kind of surprised Parfitt is dropped. Think he is a better player than Atkins, but Atkins adds a lot of defensive pressure and hardness to the balance.

Think they have made a mistake with Parfitt not in there tbh. His numbers were very good leading into finals, and pre injury.

Personally, I would've played one of Kolo or Zuthrie, and kept Parfitt.
Yea I don't like Parf and Menegola both out. I'd have him in for Kolo. And that's nothing against Kolo, just don't think he's necessary for Collingwood's fwd line.

If Menegola is omitted, and we have no Vfl this weekend, it does question the wisdom of “managing” him for the last game against West Coast.

Curious

I really like the team. Parfitt with the subvest on and it's pretty close to perfect. We'll only lose this game if we completely shit the bed or Collingwood play an absolute blinder. There's a cold hard dose of reality coming for one of the clubs. Hopefully it's them.

You seem to have forgotten the industry wide praise Atkins got when they finally realised how well he was playing.
Exactly my point. Praise grows based off someone elses praise which is based off someone elses dodgy memory. Not anything actually real.

atkins has been living off that exceptional qtr against port for quite a while now. Meanwhile parfitts been putting in better actual games. But our memories only remember a couple of snapshots and then fill in the blanks. We are all overestimating what atkins is contributing because of this bias in how our memory works and how we react to others evaluation.

I really like the team. Parfitt with the subvest on and it's pretty close to perfect. We'll only lose this game if we completely s**t the bed or Collingwood play an absolute blinder. There's a cold hard dose of reality coming for one of the clubs. Hopefully it's them.
The mighty cats will not lose to these pretenders. Collingwood very lucky to even make the 8 in my opinion. Some chaos ball lucky under a goal wins cannot beat consistency. I would be shocked to see Collingwood best Geelong.

One two many defensive players for my liking.

really worry we might go into our shells this game and revert to defensive football.

really hope im wrong.
I’d be shocked if we deviated from a game plan we’ve been playing all year.

The players have surely learnt that defensive football doesn’t win finals.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More I think about it the less comfortable I am with Parfitt out of the 22. He’s our best defensive mid. Better than Atkins. He’s also young and in his prime. Selwood, Danger and Duncan are ageing and their reflexes are slowing down. None are great defensively too. I know we covered Parfitt when he was out during the year but this is a final. It’s a different game.

More I think about it the less comfortable I am with Parfitt out of the 22. He’s our best defensive mid. Better than Atkins. He’s also young and in his prime. Selwood, Danger and Duncan are ageing and their reflexes are slowing down. None are great defensively too. I know we covered Parfitt when he was out during the year but this is a final. It’s a different game.
It's why selections in finals are so harsh. Looking at the team lineup, which player would you take out of the team to make way for Parfitt?
For me, Atkins has kicked the door down this year and brought more to the games that he's played in. For me, that's deserving of a spot. He's also been the one to dig deep and win tight games for us off the back of ferocious pressure and mongrel tackling. That's gold in finals.
Likewise with Zuthrie, his game has gone to new heights this season and he's brought a lot more poise, consistency and attack from the back half.
You could make a case for Rohan or Miers, but they really bring a huge amount of covered ground, as well as being able to assist as decoy goal-sneaks up forward. Miers pushes back everywhere and fills holes, likewise Rohan.
Honestly for me, there's no clear stand-out on paper for who would make way for Parfitt, and I just don't really think his game has improved enough this season to make it worthwhile upsetting the applecart in a first final. If ANYBODY gets injured, he's straight back in, no questions asked.

It's why selections in finals are so harsh. Looking at the team lineup, which player would you take out of the team to make way for Parfitt?
For me, Atkins has kicked the door down this year and brought more to the games that he's played in. For me, that's deserving of a spot.
Likewise with Zuthrie, his game has gone to new heights this season and he's brought a lot more poise, consistency and attack from the back half.
You could make a case for Rohan or Miers, but they really bring a huge amount of covered ground, as well as being able to assist as decoy goal-sneaks up forward. Miers pushes back everywhere and fills holes, likewise Rohan.
Honestly for me, there's no clear stand-out on paper for who would make way for Parfitt, and I just don't really think his game has improved enough this season to make it worthwhile upsetting the applecart in a first final. If ANYBODY gets injured, he's straight back in, no questions asked.

No one deserves to be out but to me we look one defender too many. I’d probably keep Kolo in to take care of DeGoey when he pushes forward. I think (reluctantly) it would have to be Z.Guthrie. The more controversial call would be to make Duncan the sub. I’d be keeping both Miers and Rohan in for the reasons you mention.

Yea I don't like Parf and Menegola both out. I'd have him in for Kolo. And that's nothing against Kolo, just don't think he's necessary for Collingwood's fwd line.

Ditto.

Kolo probably misses with concussion anyway.

For me, Atkins has kicked the door down this year and brought more to the games that he's played in. For me, that's deserving of a spot. He's also been the one to dig deep and win tight games for us off the back of ferocious pressure and mongrel tackling. That's gold in finals.

I believe in midfield depth wins finald over extra fwds or backs so id have picked parfitt and left out one of the guys you listed but these are line ball calls.

Late change incoming.

There are still guys in that named team with ??? on them.

Just because Parf isn't named doesn't mean he isn't expected to play internally.

We are the only club in the AFL where I simply don't trust selection until the side runs out on the park.

Late change incoming.

There are still guys in that named team with ??? on them.

Just because Parf isn't named doesn't mean he isn't expected to play internally.

We are the only club in the AFL where I simply don't trust selection until the side runs out on the park.

Possibly right. Whilst I don’t wish ill on anyone named, I think Parfitt needs to start.

The named team screams Parfitt late change for Duncan to me
Def looks the most "impactful" late out in regards to wasting the opposition's time/planing.

You gotta put time into planning for Duncan... Parf in for Guthrie wouldn't change the Pies plans much (same for Kolo).

Time will tell but I'll be shocked if we go in unchanged, and not only because I think Parf should be in, but because we just love making late changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back