Preview Qualifying Final #2 - Hawthorn v Geelong - Teams and Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re the Hodge and Mitchell Cat and Mouse - your comment is ridiculous. If Ling refused to tag Hodge, and took Mitchell, Hodge would just go back into the centre. There will not be some constant will-he-won't-he going on with Captain Ugly's tag. If he doesn't follow his tag into the forward line, his tag willl just come back to the midfield - and reek havoc, untagged.

To be honest I don't think it matters where Ling follows Hodge tonight. The skipper is in for a massive finals series. Would be shattered by last years finals performance, and his entire season has been built around ensuring his body is in peak condition for finals footy.

Hodge will have a big impact tonight - he loves the wet, and more importantly he loves finals footy.

I agree with the team and that it is the best 22 out of the available players.

This may have been highlighted before. Six players who did not play last year, four of which are debutants
Bailey
Bruest
Hale
Puopolo
Smith
Suckling
Six is almost a third of the side
And a further seven players who did not play in the 08 premiership
Burgoyne
Gibson
Murphy
Schoenmakers
Shiels
Whitecross
for a total of thirteen, more than half the side.

That is some turnover in three years.

Could not be bothered checking the Geelong figures, but I would be surprised if their turnover is as many as Hawthorn’s.

In discussing the game, one could either take the glass half-empty or glass half-full approach.

The bottom line is that our stars must perform. The discussion about Hodge and Ling is interesting. “Do not play him down back because that will hurt us with Ling kicking goals”. Throughout the entire discussion there seems to be an acceptance that Ling will get the better of Hodge. For goodness sake, if Hodge is once again restricted by that red headed sloth, then a few questions need to be asked of Hodge.

The expectations of Bruest and Smith should be kept to a minimum. Bruest and Smith may not yet be ready for finals and be hardly sighted, or could surprise Geelong and go a long way to being match winners. We will just have to wait and see. Either way they should not be judged on one final.

I think that Puopolo will figure very strongly in our game plan in that he seems to be the most suitable to match up on Chapman. Chapman often has a day out against us where he bursts through our ineffective tackles. That is now Chapman’s only asset, along with ducking his head for frees. Puopolo has the technique and strength to hold on to players in tackles and being short it will not be so easy for duckman to get frees. Also, Puopolo’s pace will hurt Chapman.

For once, we have two ruckmen to begin the game. I fully expect Ottens to try to take out Bailey in the first 20 minutes. Ottens does not seem to get the credit that he deserves on this board. He outplayed Jolley last week and was amongst Geelong’s best in fact he has been amongst Geelong’s best for a number of years. Go back and have a look at the 08 granny, turn down the sound, and one will be surprised who was really Geelong’s best in that game. If Ottens is beaten, we win the game.

Geelong’s tall forwards will take marks and kick goals. If they do not then Geelong will be playing the following week. I am not too sure how much they are going to hurt us. Because of necessity, our defence is based on hurting teams the other way.

Our forwards should be a walk up start to dominate, kick a bag of goals and we record an easy win. Unfortunately, it never happens that way. For us to win our forwards have to play to their potential and MUST stopthe Geelong run from the back.

Geelong stack players behind the ball and then use this tactic as an offensive weapon when they have the ball. It is up to Clarkson to devise a plan to counter this. What was it in 08 “cut off the shark at the throat” or something like that. He will need to repeat that strategy with the same success.

We have the players and coach to beat Geelong and they have the players and coach to beat us. It will come down to which team’s stars prosper.

Surely this will be one game where we still have 22 fit players at the final siren.

My prediction is. Another controversial last minute 5 point win to Geelong, as a direct result of their additional three players.

Taita, if you read this, thanks mate. For some reason I cannot get out PMs or VMs. And Grizz, did you get a PM from me about Peter Hudson?

Now Im getting a little nervous. I cant wait for tonight. 90% of people tipping the cats, just like the 08 GF.

the one player I am a bit concerned about tonight is Changa. Geez, I am hoping he pulls his finger out, because lets say, he has not had great form this season. But, good luck to the boys tonight, feeling quietly confident, but nervous at the same time.

Carn Hawkers!

Could not be bothered checking the Geelong figures, but I would be surprised if their turnover is as many as Hawthorn’s.

If we go in as selected we will have seven changes from the 2008 grand final side. Corey is the only 'out' who is still a guaranteed best 22 player. Milburn is on the fringe.

Out: Ablett, Rooke, Milburn, Harley, Corey, Blake, Mooney
In: Menzel, Christensen, Duncan, West, Hawkins, Podsiadly, Wojcinski

Gee they have a great backline.

Hunt, Scarlett, Lonegan
Enright, Taylor, Mackie

Goodluck getting through that tonight lads!

Especially if we let Buddy play on 2 or 3 opponents like last time.

I am starting to get nervous/excited. I think it is almost certian that the winner of this will play in the GF.

And I really really think we can win this :)

Hunt, Scarlett, Lonegan
Enright, Taylor, Mackie

Three guys there are average, the others are damn good.

Buddy to the midfield to stir it all up. That backline could be made accountable with Cyril as the key forward, and Hodge, Burgoyne, Lewis in support.

If we go in as selected we will have seven changes from the 2008 grand final side. Corey is the only 'out' who is still a guaranteed best 22 player. Milburn is on the fringe.

Out: Ablett, Rooke, Milburn, Harley, Corey, Blake, Mooney
In: Menzel, Christensen, Duncan, West, Hawkins, Podsiadly, Wojcinski

Thanks fpm84

Some big outs there.

Thanks fpm84

Some big outs there.

No worries.

I'd say the same applies for both teams. Three years ago, if you said that we'd be meeting in a qualifying final in 2011 - having finished 2nd and 3rd - with Geelong having lost their best player in Ablett and leading goalkicker in Mooney replaced by a 28 yr old from the VFL - and Hawthorn minus Roughead, Croad, Crawford, Gilham etc people would have laughed.

It's really testament to how good our recruiters are that both teams have exceeded expectations this season - especially you guys after your early season injuries - and that the likes of Puopolo, Breust, Menzel and Christensen may have big impacts on tonight's result :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hunt, Scarlett, Lonegan
Enright, Taylor, Mackie

Over the year we seem to have at least acknowledged that we have other forwards, with Rioli, Breust, Hale, Ossie, etc all being given the opportunity to kick multiple goals.

Will be some great match-ups:

FF: Breust - Hale - Osborne
FB: Hunt - Lonergan - Mackie

HF: WhiteX - Franko - Rioli
HB: Scarlett - Taylor - Enright

Can't freaking wait brothers from other mothers! :footy:

Just went for an early morning stroll down Jetty road with the dawg and even here in Glenelg had the 'Carn Hawkas!' from another geezer on a walk with his HFC tee on! Must of noticed my scarf I reckon:D

Any chance what one of Scarlett, Taylor or Lonergan (more than likely) will start forward? The Cats have gone in with 3 tall backs when we will probably go in with oney 2 key forwards (Buddy and Hale). The Cats will want to stretch our defence and considering Ling is named at CHF, that won't help them. Also who will be our sub? I would have thought they would all start but out of the ones named on the bench, I really can't pick it.
Love the depth in the emergencies as well :D. GO HAWKS

I wouldn't think so. Scarlett is pretty quick at ground level and his smarts are invaluable, especially in a final. We learned the hard way with Lonergan that he's not a forward too so doubt they'll try that.

Wouldn't worry too much about Ling being named up forward. He'll tag either Mitchell or Hodge. Mitchell would be my guess.

Anyway, time to find out what happens. Kudos to the Hawks supporters tolerating us in this thread, very good analysis and discussion. If you guys win tonight, there are no excuses. Cheers.

I am starting to get nervous/excited. I think it is almost certian that the winner of this will play in the GF.

And I really really think we can win this :)

I don't think the winner has any excuse not to make the grand final to be honest.

But even saying that, I wouldnt discount the loser facing off in the GF either - both teams stack up well against the Pies!

You can tell we're 41 pages in and running out of things to talk about...... i think everything's been covered now... :p

slowest. week. ever.

Its not far off the same on our board either - 53 pages in and we are now talking about weather and late changes.

Not going to say good luck, but may the best team win in a cracker of a game!!

I wouldn't think so. Scarlett is pretty quick at ground level and his smarts are invaluable, especially in a final. We learned the hard way with Lonergan that he's not a forward too so doubt they'll try that.

Wouldn't worry too much about Ling being named up forward. He'll tag either Mitchell or Hodge. Mitchell would be my guess.

Anyway, time to find out what happens. Kudos to the Hawks supporters tolerating us in this thread, very good analysis and discussion. If you guys win tonight, there are no excuses. Cheers.

Been pretty good on both boards. I can't wait for this ripper of a game, gonna head into a pub in Richmond for some lunch and a few froths to try and settle myself.

Posted in thread about tickets but noone seems to be in that thread at all, so just throwing it out there...

ive got 2 spare tickets for premium seating level 1 in olympic stand, if interested they are for sale at cost price, need someone to take em who will appreciate them!

I think people forget one important thing about Hodge.

He had a very restricted pre season due to his achilles. Our first meeting with the Cats this year Hodge looked very one paced and was hardly training during the week. The second meeting was not that much later. Round 12?

Since then, Hodge has been getting fitter and fitter. In the last few games he was starting to look like his old self. The rest will do him the world of good. Looking at him in the press conference this week he didn't want to say much, but looked very focused. I think he is easily the fittest he's been all year. This makes him a different opponent to the last time we played Geelong.

I'm going to back our captain to have a huge influence tonight. Be it in the guts, forward line or half back (I don't think he'll play back much other than adding some experience and composure for a couple of the newbies). Ling won't like being dragged into our forward half. I reckon we will rotate Rioli into the middle with Hodge going forward to add some aggression and assistance for Buddy.

I am HOPING for NO injuries or SUSPENSIONS for either side. Let there be no excuses.

Hawks by 17. (An in-form Lewis to do the job on Selwood, as he did on Judd)

David Hale to pop up with 4 tonight in a match winning performance. Can mark in the wet, form over the last half a dozen games has been improving, can kick straight.

He had a very restricted pre season due to his achilles. Our first meeting with the Cats this year Hodge looked very one paced and was hardly training during the week. The second meeting was not that much later. Round 12?

Since then, Hodge has been getting fitter and fitter. In the last few games he was starting to look like his old self. The rest will do him the world of good. Looking at him in the press conference this week he didn't want to say much, but looked very focused. I think he is easily the fittest he's been all year. This makes him a different opponent to the last time we played Geelong.

I'm going to back our captain to have a huge influence tonight. Be it in the guts, forward line or half back (I don't think he'll play back much other than adding some experience and composure for a couple of the newbies). Ling won't like being dragged into our forward half. I reckon we will rotate Rioli into the middle with Hodge going forward to add some aggression and assistance for Buddy.

I am HOPING for NO injuries or SUSPENSIONS for either side. Let there be no excuses.

I can't stand duckwood...really hope his taken out of the game!!

Agree. If anything, we need to make a statement to Geel and the rest in the finals tonight. We cant keep losing to Geel, by less than 2 goals and think that we are there abouts. Its a statement game and a must win.

And Hodgey will be up and about and will lead from the front tonight. Thats the sort of bloke and player he is. As captain, he wont let anyone lose focus, he will take the boys to a great win tonight.

Hawks by 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back