Preview Qualifying Final - Hawks vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gunston will play. Doc Larkins fails to realise that the knock was sustained before Gunston bombed a 55m goal which sealed the contest. Gunston did not seem bothered. Wasn't Rioli supposed to be out for 4 to 5 weeks too?

The Weagles and Geelong are definitely the form teams coming into the finals. Sydney have dropped big matches against solid opposition, and Adelaide cannot be judged playing against rubbish. Whilst the concept of the Weagles having to travel back to Melbourne was positive for us, on form and talent alone, Collingwood is the more "gettable" game. Their inability to control the corridor defensively and work hard was on display this evening. Had Essendon been more polished with their use and overlap they may have even won the game.

I can't see Collingwood's pressure acts getting the better of ours on Friday night. We need to continue our form on the big stage. Need a first final victory desperately for credibility also. Collingwood is the perfect opponent to send a strong message.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Doc Larkin actually changed his tune on Gunners since last night when he said he doubted he would play compared to what he said tonight that Gunners will have to do a fitnes test and wasn't that bad..
We do have 6 ready made fit players just waiting to come and of you include Bateman then there is 7 ready made fit players to come straight in.
We have great depth now...

Don't have much time for his 'diagnosis' but laughed when he mistakenly called him Gunstall

Pies seemed to finish well after stagnating at times.

LOL at commentators saying they have Trav back in form

We have Cyril and hes always been in form

Gunston to kick a few to apply scoreboard pressure before Franko applies the noose

So is someone going to organize a get-together at the London before the game? I'll be going, just gotta decide if I bring the ex gf or a Carlton mate. I wanna show him what finals are.

Burgoyne Gibson Stratton
Hodge Shoe Birchall
Young Mitch Suckers (Suckers & Burg to take the kickouts)
Rioli Rough Lewis
Pup Franklin Gunstall
Hale Shiels Sewell
WhiteX Smith Bruest Ellis (sub)
No problems - that's a premiership side right there.

Don't need Savage - have enough outside runners in Smith & Young.
Murphy/Cheney can play Goo's defensive role but lack the kicking skills.
However, Cheney in if Gunner misses (Hodge to the fwd line).

Gunston will play. Doc Larkins fails to realise that the knock was sustained before Gunston bombed a 55m goal which sealed the contest. Gunston did not seem bothered. Wasn't Rioli supposed to be out for 4 to 5 weeks too?

The Weagles and Geelong are definitely the form teams coming into the finals. Sydney have dropped big matches against solid opposition, and Adelaide cannot be judged playing against rubbish. Whilst the concept of the Weagles having to travel back to Melbourne was positive for us, on form and talent alone, Collingwood is the more "gettable" game. Their inability to control the corridor defensively and work hard was on display this evening. Had Essendon been more polished with their use and overlap they may have even won the game.

I can't see Collingwood's pressure acts getting the better of ours on Friday night. We need to continue our form on the big stage. Need a first final victory desperately for credibility also. Collingwood is the perfect opponent to send a strong message.

KOLOKOTRONIS

This Doc Larkins character, does he work at the Ponds Institute?

Should be a pretty good match. Just don't think you blokes are going well enough to trouble us though.

I agree in some fashion, however i know our best is enough to beat you guys. The trouble is we have not played at our best all season.
I've said this many times over on the pies board, we're going to have to be at 100% in every way to beat you. And i'm fearing it may turn out like last year (Cats beat us twice in the season then knocked us off in finals) You've beaten us twice this year as well. But whatever happens it'll be a ripper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it's finals time again and I must say I'm not confident. That being said I'm never confident going into the Finals. Hawks have a huge expectation for the final series and we have just had 2 really tough games so hopefully the boys come out fresh and ready this Friday. Huge game and with Cloke at least starting to find his touch we will need to really ensure that we don't allow him the space to lead into. Pies have a very good midfield with Pendles and Beams and Thomas can be damaging also. Swan I'm not too fussed about, gets a lot of the ball but doesn't have the impact that the others I named do when they have the ball in hand.

In: Ellis
Out: Guerra

Only change I can foresee at this stage, don't think Cheney or Murphy will get the call up, they both don't suit the role Guerra plays for mine

Got a bad feeling. Anyone else?

I have a bad feeling about every game!

If we lose to the Pies - we are chokers - plain and simple. They looked very average tonight against Essendon and Essendon haven't applied adequate pressure on the ball carrier since about round 10. If Collingwood fuff around with the ball in similar fashion as they did tonight with the pressure the Hawks apply to the ball, they will be turning the ball over all night.

Our forwards alone should be far too much for them to handle and if we play to our efficient best we will win convincingly.

I agree in some fashion, however i know our best is enough to beat you guys. The trouble is we have not played at our best all season.
I've said this many times over on the pies board, we're going to have to be at 100% in every way to beat you. And i'm fearing it may turn out like last year (Cats beat us twice in the season then knocked us off in finals) You've beaten us twice this year as well. But whatever happens it'll be a ripper.

Have to disagree with you on this point. Our best this year is far superior to any others. We're peaking at the right time and have a full list (except Guerra) to choose from + a number of depth players with experience to bank on if we're hit with injuries.

Agree with the rest.

I know your intentions are well and good, but that doesn't really make sense. If you haven't played at your best for the entire season, perhaps it is time you recalibrate what the 'best' of the pies is. For example, if Saints played at their best (2010) they could beat most teams, but their 'best' has been re-defined since...hence why they did not make the top 8.

I know your intentions are well and good, but that doesn't really make sense. If you haven't played at your best for the entire season, perhaps it is time you recalibrate what the 'best' of the pies is. For example, if Saints played at their best (2010) they could beat most teams, but their 'best' has been re-defined since...hence why they did not make the top 8.

Eh i just simply don't think we've played at our peak all season, what i'm trying to get to is that almost every win of ours has been a scrape and we've never looked 'dominating' or 'perfect' in any one of them. While on the other side the Hawks are going fine at the moment, and if you ask me i can't find many flaws with your team, you have two power forwards in Buddy and Roughead, two solid key defenders in Gibson and Schoenmakers, and a midfield that is composed of Mitchell/Hodge/Sewell which are all amazing players. That's all i was trying to get to, we have visible flaws we have to fix in a weeks time and you are the minor premiers.

Eh i just simply don't think we've played at our peak all season, what i'm trying to get to is that almost every win of ours has been a scrape and we've never looked 'dominating' or 'perfect' in any one of them. While on the other side the Hawks are going fine at the moment, and if you ask me i can't find many flaws with your team, you have two power forwards in Buddy and Roughead, two solid key defenders in Gibson and Schoenmakers, and a midfield that is composed of Mitchell/Hodge/Sewell which are all amazing players. That's all i was trying to get to, we have visible flaws we have to fix in a weeks time and you are the minor premiers.

Fair enough. Even though your mob aren't in the greatest form, I still see the match largely as a 50/50 encounter. Hawks are the better side, but I'm quite pessimistic when facing up against other Victorian juggernauts in the finals.

It would take an enormous mental collapse for Hawthorn to lose to Collingwood on Friday night. Hawthorn's best has been unstoppable this year against all opposition (the recent buddyless Geelong game included). Talent and skill and Hawthorn's best will not be the issue here, Hawthorn's mentality on the night is its only potential weakness. It is all above the shoulders for the whole team. If the Hawks apply themselves to every single contest and execute by hand and foot with significant efficiency, then there isn't a better team in the league this season. There is not enough time for the rest to bridge the gap. All above the shoulders now for Hawthorn to secure its 11th flag.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Will be an extremely tight game ... Collingwood have some great players .. Cloke played very well tonight ... the Hawks will need to play at their best to win ..

If we play like our opening finals games of 2010 and 2011 , where we didn't turn up to play , we will go down again. Need to maintain focus and intent.

I dont think we've played at our best since the 80s. Hopefully that turns around soon.

Not really. We've got d chance anyway. Lose and we get North/WCE then an away prelim. I dont think any team can beat hawthorn, except those darn pussy cats.

I have a feeling the Dockers might suprise a few this sat and do us a favour...

I'd be able to relax a bit if that was the case. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back