Preview Qualifying Final - Hawks vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get it done Hawks, we control our fate more than ever this week. Lose and we have to travel, Win and we play the G every week.

The Scum v Collingwood was not a physical game.
Cloke was played into form on an out of form player. Once Hurley went to him his impact waned heavily.
Would have loved a saturday arvo game.
Demetriou's brown jacket looked like something my ol man wore in the 70's.
Swan's 42 posessions were largely tripe.
Jolly is moving OK again (bad).
What happened to Goldsack? (important player for them forward now)

I have got it. Wait for it.

The ol Rough to Cloke manouvre. Most of the Collingwood forward entry's will be directed at Cow Poke.
Gibson becomes Guerra picking up on a small forward. He has the disposal and the grunt.
Schoey can take Payne.
With minimal interuption to our team. We obviously need another ruckmen to play Rough's role.
This is where it gets interesting. We could go with either Bailey or Maculey.
This idea could all go out the window if Dawes gets a run.

Thoughts?

The only thing I am a bit nervous about is, if we decide to go into our shells.... If we play the way that got us top spot, then I think Coll have major problems.

Always nervous about a final, but, we have worked too hard to put ourselves into a great position to win it this year. Its all up to the coaches and players now. They either want it or they dont, simple as that!!!

But bring on Friday night!!!!

The ol Rough to Cloke manouvre. Most of the Collingwood forward entry's will be directed at Cow Poke.
Gibson becomes Guerra picking up on a small forward. He has the disposal and the grunt.
Schoey can take Payne.
With minimal interuption to our team. We obviously need another ruckmen to play Rough's role.

Thoughts?

Why is it, that some still think we need another ruckman?? Did you not see what Hale/Rough did to the (Apparently) best ruck combo in the comp on fri night? And our backline will take care of Cloke. Shit, he only looked ok last night because he was playing on a dud! Then they put Hurley on him and he went bloody missing!!! Gibbo or Shoey will do the job!

Its got me stuffed how some think that ruckman are just so f..ken important...???? As Clarko said, if they were and thats what won or lost you a game, WCE and Freo would be undefeated!! I would not touch the side, except the forced one of Goo. Which I think Cheney should get, I have never been convinced about Ellis.

Schoey can take Payne.

Thoughts?
I said this last week before the West Coast game about the discussion on how to stop Nic Nat and Cox by maybe bringing in Bailey. 'Stuff that, we are the better team, they can figure out how to match up on us. Play our best 22 available'.

Why is it, that some still think we need another ruckman??

The main thought behind this idea is that Rough will be heavily involved in the play as most of the Collingwood entry's will go to Cloke. I'm not suggessting that Cloke will be dominant, the design is to utilise Rough's field kicking in the back half and also to minimize the loss of Guerra by giving Gibson the role on the small forwards and taking kick in duties when required.

Maybe we dont need another ruckman as Jolly maybe their only true ruck. Instead of bringing in another ruck we could go with a runner ie. Bateman, Savage or Ellis. But Jolly is huge peice of the Collingwood puzzle. Nullify him and Collingwood drop a peg or three, as evidenced by Wood playing their number one ruck.

Just an Idea. Most posters will go the if it aint broke dont fix it route. But tinkering and daydreaming will keep me sane until friday.

Pies should have favoritism for this game, just,they seem to be building and have managed their players well. I don't think we have rested or rotated players enough. less line breaking and risk taking. Maybe we did not recover well after Sydney, maybe we are still recovering from increased training load (a few weeks ago)?

I think three players are in contention
Ellis for flexibility
Cheney for a solid defender, big body
Savage for run and goal scoring

Ellis and Savage to come in, Pies dont have a matchup for Cheney.

Pies should have favoritism for this game, just,they seem to be building and have managed their players well. I don't think we have rested or rotated players enough. less line breaking and risk taking. Maybe we did not recover well after Sydney, maybe we are still recovering from increased training load (a few weeks ago)?

I think three players are in contention
Ellis for flexibility
Cheney for a solid defender, big body
Savage for run and goal scoring

Ellis and Savage to come in, Pies dont have a matchup for Cheney.

Are you taking bets on the Hawks? ;)

I get a feeling Murphy will be in for Guerra. He's a leadership group player and seems to be a favourite of Clarko.

I can also see Harry O'Lookatme spending an inordinate amount of time sitting in his thinking chair this week as he works out how the hell he is going to deal with Cyril.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get a feeling Murphy will be in for Guerra. He's a leadership group player and seems to be a favourite of Clarko.

I can also see Harry O'Lookatme spending an inordinate amount of time sitting in his thinking chair this week as he works out how the hell he is going to deal with Cyril.
Please no. I mean he's not that bad, but...

Really, really.
That was a pretty soft encounter.

Bumblers are a joke. I cannot recall one decent bump or tackle. Lucky they have bulked up.

The good news is pyes struggled to shake them. Jolly is not fit.

They are not playing anywhere near their best. We need to smash them early.

Cloke has played 2 good games, one against GWS and now one against Essendon, woweee. Lets throw out our structures and send Rough to defence to shut down Cloke, I don't think so.

Let them stress about our forward line with Budwar, Rough, Gunner, Cyril, Breust and Puopolo.

It's no time to get complacent but we are in far better form than what Collingwood showed last night. The Bombers are at their lowest for some time. I'm not paying too much attention to that win last night.

Ellis will come in for Guerra.

Hodge to play the sweeping role in defense.

Shoey will give Cloke a bath.

Lewis to make Heath Shaw accountable.

Shiels/Sewell to take Pendlebury/Beams

Just leave Swan get 50 possessions....it won't do much anyway.

There might be a matchup for Murphy but with Guerra going out I don't think a lock down player can be the replacement. The back six
Gib shoe burger
Suckers stratton Birchall
Hodge to float in and out. A good mix of defense and attack. Maybe burgers to do more kick in duties.

Anyone watch the game closely last night?
Pies kept bombing it outside their defensive 50 everytime they got the ball. This was done by their big game players mind you!
Also, they struggled to hit up any leads and kept dropping marks.

They were all over the shop!
This won't go far against an eagles or cats outfit, or ours!

Who ever comes in is a certainty for a premiership medallion! (Ellis, bateman or savage)

Hawkies by 66!

collingwood were far from convincing. never had the game in the bag besides about 3-4 minutes to go. seeing some of the bad results essendon have had recently, even if they played inspired arent going well.

i also dont think cloke played that well bar all the media hype about it. collingwood tried there heart out to try last night but he still looks under confident at times

I have a sneaking suspicion murphy/cheney will come in to play a really tight defensive role on Fasolo who just dominated last night. Murphy makes me really nervous every time he goes near the ball though, really nervous.

Not that this affects our team selection but anyone else think Dawes will come in for Paine as well? could be a late change scenario.

Bit worried that the Hawks will be pretty sore after the last couple weeks. A few players really looked like they were struggling in that last quarter against the Eagles. Hopefully that was just the result of a 6 day break after playing a tough game against the Swans and that given we have a 7 day break this time and don't have to travel that they'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back