Quarter of a century without Fitzroy: Is the AFL better or worse off?

Remove this Banner Ad

outside of Chris Johnson and the father-son rights to Jonathan Brown, they didn't really get much.

That's just not true.

Regardless, I disagree with you. Brisbane Lions is a much, much better entity than the Bears ever were. The argument of whether killing off Fitzroy could perhaps be made either way, and it's impossible to prove. But added to the fact that it's one less Vic team as well has having a strong team in Brisbane then the AFL is clearly better now.

Brisbane Lions is a much, much better entity than the Bears ever were.
I always wonder did Noel Gordon ever ask what Bears fans and members from their 1987 to 1996 time period thought or he and the AFL just did not even care what the Bears supporters thought and just did their from above merger without a moments thought about them. Would love to have heard about it but was all just lost in the bigger and more tragic loss of Fitzroy from the league after being one of the 8 founding clubs for the league in a century before.

Fitzroy Football Club Limited was created in 1981.
I love looking back in history to learn stuff not heard much about.
Was learning about West Melbourne in the VFA times and how they tried to join the VFL but then University entered the league instead and West lost the ground they had played on, which I think was East Melbourne ground. University eventually left the league and eventually become University Black and Blue and even Red and now Reds rebranded as Fitzroy in recent decade or two.
I do not know about the 1981 stuff so would love to hear more. Read this to see if could find anything on it but mainly about Reds history.

the-reds
fitzroyfclogo2.jpg

The Reds​

The Fitzroy Reds Football Club (formerly the University Reds Football Club) had a long and distinguished history. Throughout, the club prided itself on being a club run by players for players. We always maintained a strong social calendar and an eclectic mix of players that gave us a reputation for eccentricity.

The first University Reds (known as Uni Reds) football team was formed in 1954 as a virtual Club XVIII to provide leftover players from University Blues and Blacks with an opportunity to get a regular match. Playing in the E grade section they were very competitive with many strong performances and final appearances but no flags.

The introduction of the compulsory reserves competition by the VAFA saw Uni Reds go into recess in 1964. However it did not take long to resurrect the spirit and the Reds played in the Federal League for two seasons before re-joining the VAFA, with both a seniors and reserves teams, in 1972. From 1972 onwards, there were a number of home grounds, including Crawford Oval, Yarra Bend Oval, Princess Park and the University Main Oval. In 1991, the University Reds moved to the Brunswick Street Oval.

The first taste of premiership victory for the seniors was in 1980, with the team runners up the following year. It took until 1994 to win the first reserves premiership. In 1995 the second senior premiership was won.

The turning point for the club was 1997, when under increasing pressure from the Melbourne University Sports Union to meet the required number of undergraduate and post graduate registrations to obtain funding, it was decided to “go it alone” and become the Fitzroy Reds Football Club. The support of the Fitzroy Football Club and the Fitzroy Foundation enabled the club to remain independent and viable. The support of these organisations also saw the Reds wearing the Fitzroy Football Club colours on their original home ground.

Success was much more a feature in recent years than the struggling, yet fun-filled early days. After going undefeated to win the premiership in 2001 (D3 Section), the Reds consolidated in the higher grade the following year. This was a common trend in ensuing years, with premierships over the previously undefeated Peninsula Pirates in 2003, consolidation in D1 in 2004, and then a barnstorming year in 2005, winning the premiership, and promotion to the then C Grade for the first time ever.

The Reds' initial C Grade foray only lasted a couple of seasons, however, as they succumbed to relegation in 2007 after managing just 4 wins from 18 matches for the year. Despite this setback, ties with the local community continued to be strengthened, and the club counted among its supporter base a large number of former Fitzroy fans from all corners of Victoria and beyond.

In 2008, the seniors showed considerable promise as they claimed 11 wins from their 18 matches for the year to come within a whisker of making the D1 Grade finals.

First proposed in April 2008 and completed in December 2008, the Fitzroy Reds merged with the former AFL club Fitzroy Football Club Ltd.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I do not know about the 1981 stuff so would love to hear more. Read this to see if could find anything on it but mainly about Reds history.

fitzroyfclogo2.jpg

First proposed in April 2008 and completed in December 2008, the Fitzroy Reds merged with the former AFL club Fitzroy Football Club Ltd.
In December 2008, at the instigation of the then Fitzroy (University) Reds president Craig Little, the University Reds Football Club (known as the 'Fitzroy' Reds from 1997) transferred all its assets to the Fitzroy Football Club (formed 1883).

The University (Fitzroy) Reds terminated its membership of the VAFA and was wound up as a incorporated company and football club.

By special dispensation from the VAFA, the Fitzroy Football Club (formed 1883) then replaced the Fitzroy [University] Reds in D-Grade [Premier D] VAFA for the 2009 season.

Dyson Hore-Lacy, chairman of Fitzroy in the AFL in 1996, automatically became chairman of the Club in the VAFA.

Last edited:
I'm glad we've got a truly national competition and retired Victorians have something to do on their weekends living out their golden years on the Gold Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitzroy wasn’t rebranded.
You are telling your narrative.
Sad what happened to Bears and Fitzroy but none of your narratives can undo the pain of the new entity Brisbane Lions that took the place of both in this league.
Hopefully your narratives you tell yourself gives you some peace one day and can accept others have a different take on things than your narrative you try to force on others. Not buying what you selling overall as the rebranding take is just semantics at end of day, however you narrate it.
I mourn the loss of both the Bears and Fitzroy from our league. Not all of them see it the same way and that is just something to live with.

I love looking back in history to learn stuff not heard much about.
Was learning about West Melbourne in the VFA times and how they tried to join the VFL but then University entered the league instead and West lost the ground they had played on, which I think was East Melbourne ground. University eventually left the league and eventually become University Black and Blue and even Red and now Reds rebranded as Fitzroy in recent decade or two.

1981 is simply when the company - Fitzroy Football Club Limited - was created. What likely happened was that the club was an incorporated association and they transferred all assets into a new corporations law company. A club is more than just the legal entity, so it's reasonable to say the club was not a new club then, it was the same club just in a new structure.

Roylion puts a lot of weight on the company itself continuing past 1996 as solid evidence that Fitzroy did not merge, they kept going and still continue as a football club today. There is some basis to that.

The reality is that under Australian Corporations Law, there is no such thing as a merger. 2 companies cannot "merge" - 1 can acquire another, 1 can acquire the assets of another company, 2 companies can be acquired by a new company, but you can't take 2 companies, and a newly merged entity be formed.

In 1996 after the merger (let's call it that), FFC Ltd was left with basically no assets and liabilities (there was probably a small amount of cash representing capital). as everything was transferred to Brisbane. They might have had a bit of IP. They were a shell. The only thing left was literally the company. So my question is - if you're suggesting Fitzroy is 140 or so years old, what exactly is it that has that age? Not the company. The club? Well all that was transferred to Brisbane in 1996. Everything the company owns now was acquired this century.

1981 is simply when the company - Fitzroy Football Club Limited - was created. What likely happened was that the club was an incorporated association and they transferred all assets into a new corporations law company. A club is more than just the legal entity, so it's reasonable to say the club was not a new club then, it was the same club just in a new structure.
Yeah, good follow up on what happened in 1981. I assumed that probably what happened but had not heard exactly what in 1981.
Yes, exactly, the legal is just that, important, but for most people it not the club itself. It just a legal framework that all clubs needed as we hit more semi professional era and more and more money involved.

There a lot of pain in many old Fitzroy supporters but it a bit sad when someone like our resident one here thinks there is only one take when for many old Fitzroy supporters that consider it all over no matter what. It just one of those things where they can all have a different take on it and their feelings are just as relevant as the next. Similarly for Bears and South Melbourne supporters there will always be a different take on what happened and what they feel is true for each of them. For some South supporters as far as they concerned when they left the suburb they died for them. For others they live on as the Bloods and both takes are just as important to let each have as their own. Just do not ram a certain one take down everyones throat would be nice to see from some.... All narratives are important to hear from.

Last edited:
You are telling your narrative.

It is the correct ‘narrative.’
Sad what happened to Bears and Fitzroy but none of your narratives can undo the pain of the new entity Brisbane Lions that took the place of both in this league.

The Brisbane Bears are the same club as the Brisbane Lions in the same way Footscray are the Western Bulldogs.
Hopefully your narratives you tell yourself

Tell me how Fitzroy Football Club are 140 years old this year.
gives you some peace one day and can accept others have a different take on things than your narrative you try to force on others.

I’m not forcing anything on anyone. I’m telling what actually has occurred.

Not buying what you selling overall as the rebranding take is just semantics at end of day, however you narrate it.

Well tell me how the still operating Fitzroy are 140 years old this year.
I mourn the loss of both the Bears and Fitzroy from our league.

Well you got one thing right. Fitzroy are indeed out of the AFL.
Not all of them see it the same way and that is just something to live with.

So how are Fitzroy Football Club (established 1883) in the VAFA 140 years old this year.

Last edited:
Like a religious bible basher to the end. We know the only truth...

Tell me how Fitzroy Football Club are 140 years old this year. Do they still exist in their own right or not?
It is just a narrative and I am glad it works for you but I not buying it as the only truth for fans

There’s only one truth. Fitzroy still exists in its own right. The Brisbane Lions are the same club as the Brisbane Bears.
of Fitzroy or Bears that see and feel it differently to you.
I’m sure they do.

It is your question for yourself. Not mine. I do not have such questions in my mind like you do.

There's no question for me. I'm asking you if Fitzroy FC still exist in their own right. You refuse to answer.

The Brisbane Lions aren't putting out these jumpers in honour of their 140th anniversary. Its the Fitzroy Football Club that is doing it.

There's no question for me. I'm asking you if Fitzroy FC still exist in their own right. You refuse to answer.
No, I do not have the question because it has no meaning for me to have such questions. I understand for some Fitzroy fans they died and for others like you they live on. Both are valid takes on how they see things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Quarter of a century without Fitzroy: Is the AFL better or worse off?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back