'Questions that don't warrant a thread' Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the NRL - they make incompetence an absolute artform.
Absolutely nothing against the players by the way. Watching Burgess tear-up with 90 secs to go was awesome - well played mate!

Absolutely nothing against the players by the way. Watching Burgess tear-up with 90 secs to go was awesome - well played mate!

Oh I was referring to the organisation - they're painfully inept. Even the presentations just then were amatuer.

Rugby League is not a bad game to watch. But these video replays that go back 5 passes is ridiculous. If the refs miss a forward pass then that should be it. The reviews should be restricted to whether the ball is put down correctly for a try. Killed off the Cowboys a couple of weeks ago with a ridiculous review. It's not just the AFL that simply cannot leave well enough alone.

I have a question about these football academies that the Swans and other clubs have. These academies are meant to take the place of the father/son thing that the other clubs have going for them, correct? As I understand it 'graduates' from these academies are treated in the same way as the father son picks, correct? However.... sons of former players come up in a rather spasmodic fashion, you might get one one year and none for the next five years. Presumably these academies spit out at least one high quality footballer every year, that means Swans etc. get access to a very good player each year whereas Hawthorn, for example, might not have anyone that falls into the father son/category for quite some time, how is this fair? (I havemade a few assumptions here which may be wrong).

Last edited:
whats also worth noting is that sydney and the lions ALSO get father son selections as they were previously VFL teams. Meaning really these academy guys are on top of that. I can understand if this was a replacement for teams like GWS and GC etc, but not sydney and brisbane.

whats also worth noting is that sydney and the lions ALSO get father son selections as they were previously VFL teams. Meaning really these academy guys are on top of that. I can understand if this was a replacement for teams like GWS and GC etc, but not sydney and brisbane.

I can understand the AFL wanting the academies in the non football states to develop the code there but why should NSW and Qld get priority access to the players? Shouldn't they just go into the draft like everyone else? It's not like the players from Vic, SA, WA, Tassie etc. only get drafted to teams in those states. Am I missing something here? :confused:

You're right.... the only thing you're missing is that developing a code in a state requires teams in that state to have some success. In this regard, the AFL gives teams unfair advantages to achieve this. This is simple yet another inequity along with the fixture, but unlike the fixture which is meant to help the weaker teams get back on their feet, it's designed to help teams in two of the 5 states and no one else.

You're right.... the only thing you're missing is that developing a code in a state requires teams in that state to have some success. In this regard, the AFL gives teams unfair advantages to achieve this. This is simple yet another inequity along with the fixture, but unlike the fixture which is meant to help the weaker teams get back on their feet, it's designed to help teams in two of the 5 states and no one else.

How many bloomin' unfair advantages do they need? :mad:

Hi
Can anyone help identifing these signatures, they were done at this years family day in Feb2014
I blocked out the numbers cause they are what are confusing me, don't seem to match what I think they are.
I have an idea but need to see if others have the same ideao_O

Hi
Can anyone help identifing these signatures, they were done at this years family day in Feb2014
I blocked out the numbers cause they are what are confusing me, don't seem to match what I think they are.
First one looks like it ends in "LL" so one of Mitchell, Sewell or Hill. Looks a bit like Bhill to me my guess is Hill. #10

Second one just jumps out at me as Sicily based vaguely on the shape. #41

Last one looks like it's starting with a large lowercase 'a' so out of Woodward or Litherland I reckon. My guess is Litherland. #31

First one looks like it ends in "LL" so one of Mitchell, Sewell or Hill. Looks a bit like Bhill to me my guess is Hill. #10

Second one just jumps out at me as Sicily based vaguely on the shape. #41

Last one looks like it's starting with a large lowercase 'a' so out of Woodward or Litherland I reckon. My guess is Litherland. #31

Really confident the first one is Hill now the other 2 not so, I remeber the table was a good one casue I thought they were alot of premship players from 13 so I dont think its Sicily and Litherland

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all the emphasis on the salary cap over the last week or so, I have what may be a stupid question: Do players play finals "for free"?

In other words, do they receive a certain annual salary and are paid that amount irrespective of whether the team makes the finals and irrespective of how many finals are played? Or do they get some sort of match payment for finals that falls outside the scope of the salary cap?

With all the emphasis on the salary cap over the last week or so, I have what may be a stupid question: Do players play finals "for free"?

In other words, do they receive a certain annual salary and are paid that amount irrespective of whether the team makes the finals and irrespective of how many finals are played? Or do they get some sort of match payment for finals that falls outside the scope of the salary cap?
I know they get bonuses for winning the GF, and I assume they get some kind of bigger match day payment for finals, but no idea how that fits into things.

Hmmm, I see what you mean. Not sure it's 24 though, however looking at the other 20 numbers it doesn't look like any of them either...
That's why I blocked out the numbers did
Can I see this one without the number covered? I've got a feeling it might be Jack Gunston's...
Thanks cryptor I didn't think about searching ebay, the third one does look like Puopolo
I'm going with Shaun Burgoyne for the second one the number also does look like a 9 sort of
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHAUN-BU...=AU_Sport_AFL_Memorabilia&hash=item27ed201b28

Thanks

Hi

this one i think is Burgers
i have a fully signed 09 ball and this one gave me troubles till i got another sig of burgers or saw someone elses signed ball that had his on it

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHAUN-BU...=AU_Sport_AFL_Memorabilia&hash=item27ed201b28

Remove this Banner Ad

'Questions that don't warrant a thread' Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back