Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Soligo definitely ran out of steam towards the end of the season... but will get better with another preseason.

More importantly we have brought in 3 players who can all play through the midfield... so there is no excuse to run deeper rotations next season. All our small forwards can play through the midfield as needed.
I wouldn’t roll ANB or Cumming through there, in ANB’s case not worth prioritising CBA time for someone of his age when he can play HF very well, and in Cumming’s case we need his run, athleticism and skills in space

Peatling will be a genuine rotation piece though

Dawson/Soligo/Crouch/Peatling/Rankine should be the first choice rotation pieces to begin with. Give various others small bursts in their most games, too. If pick 4 or Taylor have a development spurt and force themselves into the first choice rotation over Crouch it’s a bonus

Interesting point, I think Soligo’s main aim this off-season is to increase his fitness and be able to run games out consistently. He largely tailed off towards the end of the season, compared to his early impact, but I think it’s all part of his progression

He’s still an incredibly smart player in traffic, is athletic enough, and has very good skills in space. Increased fitness should help to improve his kicking when escaping from congestion with the ball, too - it’ll allow him to feel like he’s got more time on his hands

If he can do what he did in the Showdown most games, we have an A-grader on our hands
Agree. He’s a first or second possession mid, at his best in congestion. Just needs to keep building his tank.

I wouldn’t roll ANB or Cumming through there, in ANB’s case not worth prioritising CBA time for someone of his age when he can play HF very well, and in Cumming’s case we need his run, athleticism and skills in space

Peatling will be a genuine rotation piece though

Dawson/Soligo/Crouch/Peatling/Rankine should be the first choice rotation pieces to begin with. Give various others small bursts in their most games, too. If pick 4 or Taylor have a development spurt and force themselves into the first choice rotation over Crouch it’s a bonus
I would absolutely look to increase our midfield rotations. Keays changed a game this year when he went into the middle late. ANB played more midfield for the Dees this year with injuries. Whilst these 2 should mainly play as forwards, they absolutely should be used to pinch hit in the middle. By using more players through the middle, we keep out main mids fresher.

There will be days when a midfielder like Soligo or Dawson struggle, so play them in a different role & use other options.

The best premiership teams have had players who can rotate into the middle as required to change the course of a game. We should be aiming for this too.

I would absolutely look to increase our midfield rotations. Keays changed a game this year when he went into the middle late. ANB played more midfield for the Dees this year with injuries. Whilst these 2 should mainly play as forwards, they absolutely should be used to pinch hit in the middle. By using more players through the middle, we keep out main mids fresher.

There will be days when a midfielder like Soligo or Dawson struggle, so play them in a different role & use other options.

The best premiership teams have had players who can rotate into the middle as required to change the course of a game. We should be aiming for this too.
Agree that you can put a guy in there to shake things up, and we have the players to do that if need. But that’s moreso if things are not going as expected within a game

Ultimately, when the chips are on the table in the first minute of a game, you back in your best players, and those five should be the ones we lean on in order to win us games, at least to begin the season

Agree that you can put a guy in there to shake things up, and we have the players to do that if need. But that’s moreso if things are not going as expected within a game

Ultimately, when the chips are on the table in the first minute of a game, you back in your best players, and those five should be the ones we lean on in order to win us games, at least to begin the season
Last 5 minutes depends on whether we are behind or in front.

If we are looking to save the game, Dawson is likely to push himself to half back & someone like ANB would be good to have in the middle to organise things.

If we are needing to score, Rankine & Dawson are musts with whoever is having a good clearance day.

B: Laird, Murray, Worrell (last chance Laird, stop the best oppo small forward or it's sanfl)
HB: Cumming, Keane, Michalanney (love to see Max freed up to create; less lock-down jobs)
C: Hinge, Soligo, Nankervis (be nice to have wingers solid overhead who can kick)
HF: Neal-Bullen, Thilthorpe, Keays (Thilthorpe to roam anywhere; be down the line mark target instead of Fog)
F: Walker, Fogarty, Rachele (forget Rash as a mid, permanent forward)
R: O'Brien, Rankine, Dawson
I/C: Crouch, Peatling, Curtin, Pedlar
Sub: Jones (versatile, still think he can be valuable enough)

Feels like a strong team when selecting during the off-season and when it's a full squad of players to select from. Should take quite some coaching to make them a bottom 8 side - think we've got just the man for the job.

Bold are the players I think are a lock for the 22 if not injured.

B: Nankervis - Butts - Keane
HB: Hinge - Murray - Michalanney
C: Cumming - Dawson - Soligo
HF: ANB - Fog - Keays
F: Rachele - Thilthorpe - Walker
R: Rob - Crouch - Rankine
Int: Peatling, Curtin, Sholl, ???
Sub: ???

Next in line (no order): Berry, Dowling,Taylor, Pedlar, Pick 4, Bond, Milera

Can't really pick for that last interchange spot and the same goes for the vest (hopefully they ditch it and just go 5 on the bench).

Backs: Could drop one of Keane/Butts and bring someone like Bond in for lockdown, Milera for run (pending return from injury/form) or perhaps pick 4 and play them across half back to work them into the system.

Mids: Wings I struggle to pick, Dawson could be alright across the wing I feel. Hopefully have some good competition for spots with the likes of Berry, Taylor, Dowling all pushing hard for a position in the team. Don't know enough about Edwards to know if he'll be pushing hard early or more as the season goes on.

Forwards: Easiest group of guys to pick. Rankine will obviously spend time there, Tex won't play every game. Would love to see Pedlar pushing for selection again. Otherwise Dowling or Berry might fill that spot - without knowing what pick 4 may offer.

Feels like a strong team when selecting during the off-season and when it's a full squad of players to select from. Should take quite some coaching to make them a bottom 8 side - think we've got just the man for the job.

Bold are the players I think are a lock for the 22 if not injured.

B: Nankervis - Butts - Keane
HB: Hinge - Murray - Michalanney
C: Cumming - Dawson - Soligo
HF: ANB - Fog - Keays
F: Rachele - Thilthorpe - Walker
R: Rob - Crouch - Rankine
Int: Peatling, Curtin, Sholl, ???
Sub: ???

Next in line (no order): Berry, Dowling,Taylor, Pedlar, Pick 4, Bond, Milera

Can't really pick for that last interchange spot and the same goes for the vest (hopefully they ditch it and just go 5 on the bench).

Backs: Could drop one of Keane/Butts and bring someone like Bond in for lockdown, Milera for run (pending return from injury/form) or perhaps pick 4 and play them across half back to work them into the system.

Mids: Wings I struggle to pick, Dawson could be alright across the wing I feel. Hopefully have some good competition for spots with the likes of Berry, Taylor, Dowling all pushing hard for a position in the team. Don't know enough about Edwards to know if he'll be pushing hard early or more as the season goes on.

Forwards: Easiest group of guys to pick. Rankine will obviously spend time there, Tex won't play every game. Would love to see Pedlar pushing for selection again. Otherwise Dowling or Berry might fill that spot - without knowing what pick 4 may offer.
Worrell?

B: Michalanney Murray Keane
HB: Hinge Worrell Cumming
C: Scholl Dawson Curtin
HF: Keays Thilthorpe Peatling
F: Rachele Fog ANB
R: O’Brien, Rankine, Soligo
I/C: Tex, M Crouch, Bond, Nankervis Sub- Taylor

Emg: Butts , Berry, Pedlar, Jones

Would love to see Curtin trained up on a wing in a Mason wood type role

* Draper likely plays round 1 if drafted at pick 4 instead of Nank who moves to sub

Comp for spots is hot
Someone will need to hijack Nicks for Laird not to be in the team.

I could see Curtin eventually playing wing but I’d start him half forward first, he can effectively play wing playing that role.

I think Laird will be half back, Hinge wing and Curtin on the bench if he’s lucky.

Okay, this is my team and I've tried to find a balance of what I would like to see, and what I expect will happen.

B: Worrell (23) - Keane (24) - Max (20)
HB: Laird (30) - Nurray (23) - Milera (27)
C: Cumming (26) - Dawson (27) - Hinge (26)
HF: Rankine (24) - Thilthorpe (22) - Keays (27)
F: Rachele (21) - Fog (25) - Tex (34)
R: ROB (29) - Crouch (29) - Soligo (21)

Int: Curtin (19) - Jones (24) - Pedlar (22) - ANB (28)

Sub: Peatling (24)

There's a few on there at the last chance saloon. I would rather Jones, Pedlar and Milera got there chance from round 1. It's their time now. But if they don't take it - see ya.

I'm a Matt Crouch fan. Come at me.

No Peatling (24)? He'll get his shot. He's probably sub to start with.

Omissions:
You'll get your chance, son - Bond (20), Cook* (22), Dowling (20), Edwards (19), Turray (20), Ryan (19), Taylor (21), pick 4, Welsh, the other one
* last chance though

Dependable enough backup - Berry (22), Borlase (22), Butts (24), Nank (21), Sholl (24), Strachan(29)

Why are you still here? - Burgess (28), Murphy (25), Schoenberg (23), Smith (32)

I don't know who you are - Gallagher (22)

Overall, its not a badly balanced squad. I feel better about replacing Tex, which was our biggest hole. Crouch will come out for someone like pick 4, or Edwards. Its actually not a bad midfield, so long as pick 4, or Soligo, or A.N. Other steps up. We really need another AA-level midfielder if we are wanting to take this to a flag.

Ruck is the biggest hole. ROB is okay for now, but we need a longer term solution.

Okay, this is my team and I've tried to find a balance of what I would like to see, and what I expect will happen.

B: Worrell (23) - Keane (24) - Max (20)
HB: Laird (30) - Nurray (23) - Milera (27)
C: Cumming (26) - Dawson (27) - Hinge (26)
HF: Rankine (24) - Thilthorpe (22) - Keays (27)
F: Rachele (21) - Fog (25) - Tex (34)
R: ROB (29) - Crouch (29) - Soligo (21)

Int: Curtin (19) - Jones (24) - Pedlar (22) - ANB (28)

Sub: Peatling (24)

There's a few on there at the last chance saloon. I would rather Jones, Pedlar and Milera got there chance from round 1. It's their time now. But if they don't take it - see ya.

I'm a Matt Crouch fan. Come at me.

No Peatling (24)? He'll get his shot. He's probably sub to start with.

Omissions:
You'll get your chance, son - Bond (20), Cook* (22), Dowling (20), Edwards (19), Turray (20), Ryan (19), Taylor (21), pick 4, Welsh, the other one
* last chance though

Dependable enough backup - Berry (22), Borlase (22), Butts (24), Nank (21), Sholl (24), Strachan(29)

Why are you still here? - Burgess (28), Murphy (25), Schoenberg (23), Smith (32)

I don't know who you are - Gallagher (22)

Overall, its not a badly balanced squad. I feel better about replacing Tex, which was our biggest hole. Crouch will come out for someone like pick 4, or Edwards. Its actually not a bad midfield, so long as pick 4, or Soligo, or A.N. Other steps up. We really need another AA-level midfielder if we are wanting to take this to a flag.

Ruck is the biggest hole. ROB is okay for now, but we need a longer term solution.
Jones over Sholl after their respective 2024 seasons? Harsh I reckon and also little chance

Jones over Sholl after their respective 2024 seasons? Harsh I reckon and also little chance
That's fair

It sounds counter-intuitive, but the question marks still on Jones make me want to play him to see if he gets it. Sholl spent a fair bit of 2022 and 2023in the SANFL, got his chance in 2024 and took it. Jones needs to take that chance.

Same with Milera and Pedlar. There's every reason not to pick them, and instead pick Peatling or Bond or Dowling or Taylor. Those others will get their shot, but I am just keen to see how the 3 of Jones, Milera and Pedlar and if we start to see some footballers in them? If not, that's it. Delist material. But they need one last chance before making that call.

And also strong chance with Jones getting a game round 1. I think its more likely than unlikely. Nicks loves him.

Someone will need to hijack Nicks for Laird not to be in the team.

I could see Curtin eventually playing wing but I’d start him half forward first, he can effectively play wing playing that role.

I think Laird will be half back, Hinge wing and Curtin on the bench if he’s lucky.
I think they’ll choose Hinge, Cumming and Laird as the three ‘rebounders’ to start the season. Nank playing wing in R24 IMO was a sign for the future

Don’t see Bond playing R1 unless he solidifies himself as Brown 2.0 over the off-season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back