B: Michalanney, Butts, Borlase
HB: Hinge, Murray, Laird
C: Sholl, Dawson, Nankervis
HF: Keays, Fogarty, Rachele
F: Cook, Walker, EH
R: ROB/Strachan, Soligo, Rankine
I/C: Taylor, Curtin, Dowling, Jones
Sub: Hamill

Keane comes back in for Borlase in a couple of weeks once he gets a bit of form back
Cant agree with subbing Hamill. He has done more than enough to stay in the team. Keays hasn't played a decent game for perhaps five weeks, Laird needs to be punished in the same way the selectors did to Crouch - namely identifying him as an ineffective stats accumulator.

If we insist on the ‘Murphy role’ of a high HF who rolls up and clogs up the stoppages around the ground, then it should be played by Pedlar or Rachele as they can both be dangerous around the ball while maintaining a goal scoring threat.

Murphy does neither!
Both Pedlar and Taylor would provide more than Murphy

Cant agree with subbing Hamill. He has done more than enough to stay in the team. Keays hasn't played a decent game for perhaps five weeks, Laird needs to be punished in the same way the selectors did to Crouch - namely identifying him as an ineffective stats accumulator.
I’m looking at team balance, playing Hamill over say Keays would put us at only two genuine small/medium forwards starting in the 22

I could rock with Jones being sub instead, though

Taylor and Pedlar most obvious to come in for Murphy, Schoey and Berry.

With Tex due back and possibly Himmelberg the other to drop would be Borlase.

Jones to sub

Laird to bench and then to SANFL unless he can learn to be effective.

Still think Laird is actually injured along with Captain

GQJ0fc2bMAEWAVt

:$:$:$
How is heading for 6-7 wins when we won 11 (really 12 due to the goal umpire error) last year progress? If we have progressed which we certainly haven't every other club has progressed twice as much. His coaching has progressively become shitter by the year. Thats what has progressed.

Last edited:
Geez who doesn’t know that

Oh wait I think I know of 4 people

I think even they know…. They just seem to be stubborn and wed to this gameplan/philosophy. It feels like we would legit be better if they did less, instead of handicapping the team. Should be making decisions like there isnt the chance of trading future players in

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cook played exclusively as a forward. Fogarty (8 touches) and Rachele (10, including playing on from a kick in) barely got more of it than him. Are they the problem too or is 8 touches super duper more productive than 6? The problems are up the ground and in the coaches box.

Murphy spent plenty of time up the ground. Was absolutely pathetic.

Schoenberg - utterly putrid and honestly, that looked like a career ending, dialled in, monstrosity of a performance to me. Certainly won’t play again in 2024, lock that in.

Laird - after quarter time, was absolutely diabolical. How can someone so experienced make such consistently horrendous decisions? David King and Jason Dunstall are consistently laughing at us for persisting with this guy.

Jones - just lol at how mediocre he is with ball in hand, on the rare occasions that he even tries to get the ball. Blessed with elite speed and finds a way to almost never utilise it.

Keane - lol

Strachan - lol. His potential replacement O’Brien - lol. It’s like picking between genital herpes and gonorrhoea.

Berry - lol

All of those guys are far, FAR more of an issue than Cook.

I would be rotating Cook pretty heavily through a wing to utilise his ELITE footskills coming inside 50. 40-50% wing time, and 50-60% up forward for me. But we don’t do it, and instead persist with Chayce Jones and Lachie Sholl, who are undoubtedly the worst wing pairing in the entire league.

Sholl racks up useless touches and gets annihilated in one on ones week after week, and the statmeisters lap it up. Great goal tonight to be fair, but what the **** else did he do that led to anything positive? He is slower than O’Brien, can’t kick 50m, is the worst tackler I’ve ever seen play AFL football and isn’t even in the 10 players being discussed to be dropped. That’s where this terrible club has plummeted to.

The more I think about it, the more the changes have to be…

Out:
Strachan, Laird, Schoenberg, Berry, Murphy, Keane

In:
Himmelberg, Taylor, Curtin, Ryan, Walker, Pedlar

Sub:
Pedlar

B: Michalanney - Butts - Borlase
HB: Ryan - Murray - Hinge
C: Nankervis - Dowling - Curtin
HF: Rachele - Walker - Keays
F: Cook - Fogarty - Rankine
R: Himmelberg - Dawson - Soligo
Int: Jones - Taylor - Hamill - Sholl
S: Pedlar

Moves of note:
1) Give Himmelberg 2 full games in the ruck - honestly his backup ruck work this season has been surprisingly decent, and we now know that neither of O’Brien or Strachan are capable of being an acceptable lead ruck at AFL level from 2025 and beyond so let’s just see it. O’Brien once he has the ball in his hands is embarrassing beyond belief. Strachan at ruck contests is embarrassing beyond belief. I don’t actually think Himmelberg falls into either of those categories, but yeah, rucking for a full game may be beyond him. Also, get Moyle and give him the keys.

2) Make Nank and Curtin the starting wings. Try rotating either one of them forward to give Cook some wing time. Sholl can also spend a bit of time there, before ultimately being dropped forever once people realise he’s not it in a few more games time. Jones should never go near a wing again - I actually don’t hate him down back though so that’s where he can rot for now.

3) Borlase returns to defence. Keane needs to have a spell. Is mentally shot. Was horrid against Richmond and Hawthorn too, and not very good for the week or two before that either.

4) Ditching these fake leaders in Laird and Murphy is a must now. Neither offer anything whatsoever to the side. They are handbrakes to success, much like Smith and McHenry. Dump. Them. Now. Let’s see what we’ve got in Taylor and Ryan.

5) Taylor and Dowling must actually play in the midfield. Not some bullshit role they aren’t suited to.

Do all that and it at least makes it an interesting watch, geared towards the future of the club.

Stick with absolute hacks who have proven beyond all doubt that they aren’t capable and you get what you deserve both now and in the future.
Does my head in we prioritise Jones on the wing over Nank. Jones ain't it offensively, maybe you can get something out of him as a shutdown smaller defender, but he's not a damaging winger at all.

Does my head in we prioritise Jones on the wing over Nank. Jones ain't it offensively, maybe you can get something out of him as a shutdown smaller defender, but he's not a damaging winger at all.
Jones should be delisted imo. No point wasting more games on him. They just don't want to face reality that they well and truly ****ed that draft up taking Jones and McHenry while Powaa schooled us with Rozee and Butters. Jones is never gonna be more than an average tryer.

How is heading for 6-7 wins when we won 11 (really 12 due to the goal umpire error) last year progress? If we have progressed which we certainly haven't every other club has progressed twice as much. His coaching has progressively become shitter by the year. Thats what has progressed.
The answer is simple....standard response is.....every other team has progressed more than we have but we are still heading in right direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we’ll do the same to Rach
That's the problem, do we think its all on Hamish or the inability for us to develop midfielders the actual problem.

Apart from Soligo, have we actually developed midfielders in the last 10 years?

Do we really think that Jones would stink at another club or is it the stupidity of Godden who teaches midfielders to look at their man not the ball part of the problem?

That's the problem, do we think its all on Hamish or the inability for us to develop midfielders the actual problem.

Apart from Soligo, have we actually developed midfielders in the last 10 years?

Do we really think that Jones would stink at another club or is it the stupidity of Godden who teaches midfielders to look at their man not the ball part of the problem?
I think they have their hands tied as to defend first, it appears we take away their natural game, and yes I think player like Jones would benefit at another club

I think they have their hands tied as to defend first, it appears we take away their natural game, and yes I think player like Jones would benefit at another club
Some players would do better at other clubs and some wouldn't. I would put jones in the category of I doubt many clubs would take him and I see him being bad no matter where he goes.

Back