Preview Changes vs. Richmond Tigers R13

How many CBAs for Rachele this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is why it is a massive fail that we have not bothered to draft a ruckman for so long. Excluding Thilthorpe (who you would assume was drafted primarily as a forward??) The last pure ruck we took in the main draft was John Meesen and Ivan Maric in 2004.

Below is a list of the pure ruckmen we have drafted in the last 20 years
2004 - John Meesen
2004 - Ivan Maric
2004 - Jon Griffin (Rookie draft)
2012 - Jack Osborn (Rookie draft)
2014 - ROB (Rookie draft)
2015 - Paul Hunter (Rookie draft)
2018 - Stachan (Rookie draft)

Every 3-4 years you should be bringing in a developing ruck to sit on the list with the aim to have them ready to take over from your number 1 ruck. If they don't work out you move them on and bring another in. We have put ROB into the role, drafted a backup in Stachan who will only ever be back up and decided we didn't need to develop anyone. This is what list management should be doing, making sure we have depth in each role and then also succession planning to have the next wave of talent ready to take over from the current team.

I know people make the argument that you can easily go and trade for a ruck, but we haven't even been able to do that. We are stuck with ROB and Strachan and no other option, unless we decide to move our best forward line asset in Thilthorpe into ruck.
that is laughable. he's only ever been mediocre up forward.

You’ve got to question the sanity of our coaches.

I’m all for dropping ROB and giving Straghan a go, but the timing is very odd.

When you come off of a game where the effort of so many players wasn’t there, you’re dropping the bloke who busted a gut with 8 tackles?

In the first half we had something like 26 tackles, ROB had 6 and was equal to the tally count of 14 players, that’s a fair effort by him and shows how ****ed up the rest were.

Then you drop him as your statement player?

These coaches are ****ing morons.
Maybe they like to run with a "theme" with the player, hence why the "Timing was odd"
also why they keep "Fishing" to find a player in Ned 🤷

I think Fog plays better when he has a tall forward in with him. Fog and TT will work really well together, I am worried with Fog as our primary target he may struggle as he will always get the best defender. With TT in there they often will have to go with him.

Hopefully he steps up and takes that main forward role tonight to show he is capable of taking over from Tex once he is gone.
He has Burgess, who looks like a tall forward :p

No they aren't, but anyone thinking Strachan offers more than ROB simply hasn't watch a game of SANFL.

Prove me wrong Strachany!!
Bullshit. I saw Strachan jump once.

that is laughable. he's only ever been mediocre up forward.
Tough judge on a 21 year old 200cm key forward who has played less than 50 games. He has shown he is capable of producing some very good football. The consistency will come with more experience.

He is the best contested mark in our team already and if I remember rightly he was in the AFL top 10 for contested marks for a fair portion of last season. He looked like he was ready to break out at the start of this year before he injured himself :huh:

At his age and height? Is it?
44 goals from his first 46 goals at AFL, when he has spent time in ruck is not mediocre.
Ben King - 165 in 85
Max King - 154 in 80
Cam Zurhaar - 146 in 109
Logan McDonald - 75 in 55
Joel Amartey - 49 in 39
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - 78 in 55
Sam Darcy - 25 in 18

all better than a goal a game.

You do realise that Strachan is only 45 days younger than ROB? As for delisting him at age 27... he's currently 28 yrs 8 mths old. He turns 29 in October, roughly around trading time. I think we missed your window.
I know they're the same age (sorry, 28, not 27). The point being, there is no point in both being on the list. If Strachan is any where near the output of ROB, then keep him on the low salary he is on and trade ROB, because I think ROB has some trade value. In the meantime, look to upgrade our ruck division via either Thilthorpe, the draft or trading.

ROB is like Jenkins/Lynch at the end of 2018. There might be some trade value in them and we should make the most of it. Even if it is just a slight upgrade in Round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SO we have an insipid performance and there's 1 unforced change? classic Nicks.

And I'm no ROB fan at all, but he laid 8 tackles. There's some effort there. He should have been dropped weeks ago though.
Why are no other senior players paying the price?
And who do they bring in? Far King Ned and the feather duster Hamill.
Toothless selection AGAIN

Where's Curtin, Taylor, Ryan? We are playing a team with 1 win on the board...maybe take a punt.

Really hope Strauchan has a cracker, but he's up against it vs Toby. I liked his senior games in previous years. He didn't set the world on fire, but he showed that ROB is nothing special despite dominating H/O numbers (what a surprise with 94% game time every single week and no other ruck). Guess none of the coaches (or media) noticed.

You have to be careful valuing tackle numbers by players inside the stoppage. There’s a lot of tackles where the opponent is wrapped up immediately by 2 of 3 opponents. Did he earn a HTB from any of the 8?

Last edited:
Ben King - 165 in 85
Max King - 154 in 80
Cam Zurhaar - 146 in 109
Logan McDonald - 75 in 55
Joel Amartey - 49 in 39
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - 78 in 55
Sam Darcy - 25 in 18

all better than a goal a game.
No point comparing more than their 46 games.
Players should get better over time.

Using essentially Pick 1 on a ruckman he needs to be the Nic Nat or Maxxy Gawn and I don't see that happening.

Going to leave us very undermanned for Key Forwards with Tex in the twilight and Darcy yet to really scruff the bull by the horns and be the number 1 man..

How crap must ROB be going if he can’t even play ahead of a bloke that can only beat up on undersized ammo rucks.

No point comparing more than their 46 games.
Players should get better over time.
Max King – 81 in 46
Ben King - 80 in 46
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - 62 in 46
Logan McDonald - 61 in 46
Joel Amartey - 49 in 39
Cam Zurhaar - 48 in 46
Sam Darcy - 25 in 18

Edit: I have no skin in the game, just bored from writing reports.

Back