Preview R17: Changes vs. Brisbane: Back to the Future

Will Lachlan Murphy be dropped after half his disposals were turnovers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They actually got their games mixed up. They should have waited until our last home game to bring Brodie back in and give him a farewell game and have him chaired off into a well deserved retirement.

Still, i could see brisbane pulverising us up there so Curtin and Ryan are going to be spared a football lesson..just trying to conjure up a silver lining....

Really?
I was astonished (Himmelberg retained), mystified (Burgess named ... in case of what? Is Tex carrying a niggle/awareness?), appalled (Smith straight back, now watch him kick ootf or to Brisbane players most of the game), suspicious (Nank named on the bench) and totally fed up with Nicks.
Hberg being retained makes sense with TT having another game in the SANFL (I'm ok with not rushing him back after 16 weeks off)
Burgess is in extended squad and wont make the final team
I have no defence for Smith, although apparently he's going to be in the team for another couple of years so there's that. He was BOG in the SANFL I guess and the most like for like replacement of Hamill. I'd still rather pick Ryan or Curtin.

It is evident he is well and truly GONE end of year. At least they've got that decision right, FINALLY.
I wouldn't be so sure.

There is absolutely no correlation between our weekly selections and list management decisions.

I heard Burns on the radio say how beneficial it’s been for the SANFL team to have Brodie at the back supporting and developing our young backmen

So why not keep him there
And that's after 1 and a bit games. Imagine if he was there every week!
Honestly, I can see having him there would be good for the kids in the SANFL
I have no idea how 1 good game translates into straight back into AFL as though the first 14 weeks of the season didn't happen
And it really beggars belief that we are talking about another year or 2 on the back of 1 good reserves game

“If it’s 50/50, we’ll pick the younger player”.

Oscar Ryan, who has easily been a top 3 player in terms of consistency in our SANFL side this year, has still never even been named as an emergency.

Meanwhile, complete hacks like Smith, Murphy and Jones are racking up useless AFL games for fun.

I don’t think we’re making finals this decade. This level of cluelessness is unprecedented and will take years to recover from.
The longer Nicks stays the more likely it is that we'll need another rebuild before we're good again
The fact that they are saying things like they'll pick the younger player shows they are aware of what everyone thinks they should do, they just don't want to actually do it. Which tells me they are more interested in the short term saving face than any sort of success.
It's not just us fans saying these things, there's actually people in the media wondering why we aren't playing talented youngsters, or finding out whether who we have are any good. I even heard the traders (who have no idea) questioning why arent we playing kids, it doesn't make sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints are apparently going to get band 1 FA compo (pick 5) for Josh Battle, pushing our pick back further

Why are you panicking? Why are ALL of your posts either incessant pot shots at Nicks/Crows or just complete hyperbole on just about any topic? You need to calm down a bit.

We have no idea what the compensation formula will look like, maybe if they do include years then we still don't even know how much weight will be applied to that as part of the formula. Throwing the toys out of the pram before it's even happened is just hysterical, and then the other hysteria types on this board turn it into supposed fact.

Just chill.

Saints are apparently going to get band 1 FA compo (pick 5) for Josh Battle, pushing our pick back further
There is still a pretty good chance we finish below Saints anyway. Below is the draw for each team for the rest of the year.

Crows Draw
Lions Away - loss
Saints home - 50/50
Bombers away - loss
Hawks home - 50/50
Cats away - loss
Bulldogs home - loss
Port Home - loss
Swans away - loss

Saints
Swans home - Loss
Crows away - 50/50
Eagles home - Win
Bombers home - Loss
Lions home - loss
Tigers home - win
Cats home - loss
Carlton away - loss

Saints have two very winnable games in Eagles and Tigers. They should win both. They then have a 50/50 game with us and could potentially beat Bombers. So worst case is they win two more games and end up on 7 wins.

If we do beat the Saints, the only other game we have a good chance is against the Hawks. If we win both of those we finish above the Saints. If we lose one they jump above us. Obviously if we win any of the other games it is looking unlikely that we finish below them.

But is is definitely not a given that they finish below us, could go either way right now. Saints have looked ok in a few games recently, 3 fairly close losses in the last 3 weeks. So they are not that bad, they could easily beat us or the Bombers and jump above us.

No Curtin....lol

Bring back Jones and Smith lol

Hope Taylor stays in.....

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Curtin not playing well enough but Ryan getting closer

Bond is being talked up increasingly too but I think he has been over hyped. Would like to see him develop into a tagger Looks like he will get a new contract by way of positive comments from club coaches

Last edited:
They actually got their games mixed up. They should have waited until our last home game to bring Brodie back in and give him a farewell game and have him chaired off into a well deserved retirement.

Still, i could see brisbane pulverising us up there so Curtin and Ryan are going to be spared a football lesson..just trying to conjure up a silver lining....

Nicksy being cautious after Curtin was supposedly responsible for every goal Brisbane kicked last time.

Doesn't it float?

So is there a bunch of rice bubbles floating around in your loo now that requires multiple flushes?
Sultana Bran. While Nicks' selections had put me off my food, I was a wake-up to floaters :sneaky: .

I let it soak until it was soggy, no floaters, put some loo paper on top. One flush.

Hberg being retained makes sense with TT having another game in the SANFL (I'm ok with not rushing him back after 16 weeks off)
Yes, fair point re: EH, makes sense.
Burgess is in extended squad and wont make the final team.
I have no faith in Burgess.
What's the point of naming him with no intention of playing? Is Nicks saying "Hang tough, Burgo, we need Senior players like you"...?
I have no defence for Smith, although apparently he's going to be in the team for another couple of years so there's that. He was BOG in the SANFL I guess and the most like for like replacement of Hamill.
Nicks' "... big part of our future" pronouncement re: Smith was one of the dumbest things I've heard from an AFL Coach. Unfathomable.
I'd still rather pick Ryan or Curtin.
Yep, more long-term upside.

Back