Preview R17: Changes vs. Brisbane: Back to the Future

Will Lachlan Murphy be dropped after half his disposals were turnovers?

• Yes

• Yes, but to the sub

• Nope, he's staying in

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope. Not that type of kick lobbed just over the fingertips of an opponent but close enough for a team mate.

Rankine is the only other one I’ve seen pull that off.

Edit: Dawson is 55m lace out - a different skill but just as valuable.
Tex could

But yes, it's very short list!

That kick to Murphy - chefs kiss.

Rankine the only other one in the squad that has the deft touch to pull that off.
ROB's 'chefs kiss' (whatever that is) to Walker, in the second qtr I think, was equally as impressive.

In fact ROB's field kicking in general is usually very solid. It just looks god awful. 🤣

What is with the agenda against ROB. We embarrassed ourselves dropping him, Strachan was absolutely monstered twice in a row. ROB comes back and we win clearance by 10.
Before he was dropped, ROB was not playing effectively. His kicking was very poor, his tapwork misdirected; his marking almost non-existent and the criticism was justified.

You're right. Strachan was absolutely monstered, especially vs Richmond.
The ROB we saw against GWS was the effective ROB of better years.
Some of his ruckwork against GWS was Gawn-or-Grundy-like. He hit several direct taps to Rankine's advantage and it looks like the ROB-Rankine relationship is blooming. ROB also brought Berry more into the game.
ROB also kicked well, only 2 but resulting in 2 direct Goal Assists and he handballed off to runners around him quickly and effectively. He even laid 5 tackles :thumbsu:.
I thought he played well on Saturday; strong impact :smilev1:.

Sorry to break it you, he's not & he's not the future.

Notice the different impact of taps to advantage of the different ruckmen last night...
Criticism of ROB pre-dropping was entirely justified. I wanted him dropped.
But to be fair he was effective on Saturday night.

eg only 2 kicks forward, but both resulted in goals (2nd quarter, to Tex, and Fogarty; ROB mark, chip-kick to Cook to Fogarty). Before the Fog goal direct tap to Rankine and goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have not even tried the Himmelberg & Thilthorpe combo ...
I like and respect your posting; rarely disagree.
However, until 2024 RT was still a bit scrawny (Himmelberg worse --- look how he was crushed by Nankervis v. Richmond)) to try that combo.
RT looks very strong now, so the RT/EH combo could be tried, but only now after RT's return.
I'm a big believer that rucking is more than just getting so called taps to advantage.
Yes, Gawn and Grundy especially are effective all around the ground.
ROB's taps to advantage don't convert to midfield take aways like the best ruckmen.
Until Saturday night, for sure, but I reckon ROB and Rankine have got together and worked a few things out. ROB found Rankine a few times and also brought Berry into the game. Plus they've tried a 3-man triangulation set-up not so close to the centre circle at CBs. Maybe Matty C. has had a word to them? I doubt it's come from VB or it would have happened sooner.
I suggest with respect you watch ROB closely in the second quarter again. He did a lot of good work and was a big part of that 7-goal run.

I've watched this 3 times now, and I'm going back again

Enjoy

Brownlow Medalist over coming years. I went a little too hard this year as was expecting FT mid from R1 and then also the injury the week Kingy anointed him a top 3 player in the league wouldn’t have helped his chances. Still reckon 20-25 votes may be forthcoming and at olds of 251-1 and mostly 501-1 it seemed good value

Absolutely fell off my seat as Rowey and Graham Cornes started their radio spot by totally gushing over Murphy for playing a very good game (his best game for the year apparently) and he’s also being interviewed on 5aa tonight, what game did they watch and what universe are they f**king living in?
I'm gonna have to watch the replay again and just look for the long black sleeves.
From memory, he crumbed well a couple of times, butbutBUT those turnovers! :oops::grimacing:

Btw, re your avatar. Nicks seemed unaware that blowie was sitting on his noggin.
Does that make him a numbskull? :sneaky:

After watching a replay of the SANFL match last night, my assessment is as follows;

Amongst the old fellas, Brodie Smith was clearly BOG, Strachan was outstanding and Burgess played very well. Let’s see how they go against the doggies at the Ponderosa.

Amongst the tweeners, Gollant played well but McHenry, Pedlar and Schoenberg were underwhelming, imho.

Amongst the Kids, Ryan played well again and deserves a taste before the end of the season. Curtin was pretty invisible for most of the match but showed some nice glimpses in the second half. Borlase, Bond and Edwards played their roles well and I really liked Toby Murray’s ruck work. Unfortunately Gallagher hurt his hammy.

So……..
Out - Himmelberg. In - Thilthorpe. I can understand giving him another game in the Twos but I would play him.

Out - Cook. In - Taylor I would play Zac in the Murphy high half forward role.

Out - Murphy. In - Jones

Murphy to be sub

Last edited:
Everybody watches them through their own particular biases. You hate Laird and Keays and your viewing always highlights their mistakes never their positives (for example). I tell you after having been away for the last month that the negative bias in here is overwhelming (and justifiably so) however there were many of you actively barracking for a loss last weekend and with that I shake my head.
Shake all you want. It’s been explained to you, you even agreed with a couple more wins they won’t move on Nicks and you’ve bagged him all year.

Personally I think Smith coming in is the least likely of those 7 things. Theres just absolutely no justification or reason to change the defensive unit that lined up against GWS.
I didn't see all of the SANFL game, but if Smith was our best, Nicks will be thrilled and bring him back.
Everyone would melt if Taylor was dropped, but Jones replacing him is probably paying $2.0 realistically. Jones is clearly rated internally as a best 22 (or possibly even best 18) player, for reasons that are completely baffling.
I am similarly confused, but if Jones is fit, Taylor will be outski (Nicks thrilled to have Jones back, see above).
Thilthorpe for Himmelberg seems like a no-brainer, but it really comes down to how Thilthorpe pulled up, and whether Burgess thinks he needs another run in the twos.
This.
Anyone with a clue drops Murphy, at least to sub but preferably altogether. Spoiler alert: Nicks has no clue.
And this.
Cook had a very quiet one. Would be nice to see him given a full game on a wing, but we won’t. Medium forward is a really tough role to make an impact in, especially if you aren’t a natural “pressure applier”. Not sure what’s going to happen there but a player this skilled just needs to keep playing, and needs to be delivering it inside 50, not hoping someone kicks to him instead of Fog, Thilthorpe or Tex.
I'm not sold on Cook yet. He goes quiet often, for too long.
When his name was called on 7 in the third quarter I was surprised because i'd forgotten he was there.

I'm gonna have to watch the replay again and just look for the long black sleeves.
From memory, he crumbed well a couple of times, butbutBUT those turnovers! :oops::grimacing:

Btw, re your avatar. Nicks seemed unaware that blowie was sitting on his noggin.
Does that make him a numbskull? :sneaky:
He played better than he usually does, couple of great gathers. Looked zippy, but blew it too often.

Nope.
Because we have not had many quarters like it recently, I've watched the second quarter 4 times, in full, as well as live.
His second quarter was excellent; he dominated.
Good call mate.

Are you one of those fans that rewatches multiple times our good quarters whilst fast forwarding the rest, normally crap losing efforts (eg stopping the 2017 GF before half time). Like I do haha (helps aid happy clapping)

He played better than he usually does, couple of great gathers. Looked zippy, but blew it too often.
I was filthy when he dudded Tex and kicked across (was he shooting for goal?? :drunk: ) to hit the GWS player on the chest. He had time and space to compose himself and have a look, but no.

Nope.
Because we have not had many quarters like it recently, I've watched the second quarter 4 times, in full, as well as live.
His second quarter was excellent; he dominated.
Did you miss that embarrassing simple drop mark which indirectly resulted in a goal? Think there was another stupid play he did which resulted in another goal?

Shake all you want. It’s been explained to you, you even agreed with a couple more wins they won’t move on Nicks and you’ve bagged him all year.
For clarity, and not just directed at you old mate, but do fans attending games actually GENUINELY hope we lose rather than put on a relatively promising display like last weekend? If so, I do find it hard to relate to with the exception of a last round type game (Kangas stupidly beating GC).

And for fans bragging about giving up season tickets and/or not attending games, I just don’t get it. You are some of the most fanatical Crows fans out there and spend a decent chunk of your life posting about all things Crows on BF. Then brag about not attending or giving up season tickets. Everyone is made differently I suppose..

Back