Preview R17: Changes vs. Brisbane: Back to the Future

Will Lachlan Murphy be dropped after half his disposals were turnovers?

• Yes

• Yes, but to the sub

• Nope, he's staying in

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

There are always premiership coaches coming through.

You dont stick with a failure because you cant see the forest for the trees

Nicks had quality assistants and we finished 1 kick from finals (2023)

Not sure Nicks would (internally) appreciate a Balme - he seems wedded to Kelly

My thought process is we get rid of Nicks - tighten our assistant groups and appoint someone Balme can mentor as long as he can.

Its the same process as yours but without Nicks

This sounds more like hope than any thing. Just on Hardwick - he at least had previous finals appearances to be judged on
I wouldn’t be averse to that but the fact is we just re-signed Nicks to two years. We aren’t likely to sack him now, therefore my preference would be to get good people in there (better than what we currently have) and add Balme to the mix (he seems keen). Personally, I’d like Buckley to be our coach. But that’s unlikely given we just re-signed Nicks.

Wonder if Hamill could be a chance to get a go on Charlie Cameron this week

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can always see the benefits to not winning but I would never actively seek losses. I can tip against us because I see the opposition as being better than us - but I still hold out hope we can find a way to win

I can no longer attend games as an aggressive cataract has meant my enjoyment is limited to guessing who kicked that cracker of a goal. I have friends who enjoy the football as much as I do - so they get to go
Why don't you have the operation?

After watching a replay of the SANFL match last night, my assessment is as follows;

Amongst the old fellas, Brodie Smith was clearly BOG, Strachan was outstanding and Burgess played very well. Let’s see how they go against the doggies at the Ponderosa.

Amongst the tweeners, Gollant played well but McHenry, Pedlar and Schoenberg were underwhelming, imho.

Amongst the Kids, Ryan played well again and deserves a taste before the end of the season. Curtin was pretty invisible for most of the match but showed some nice glimpses in the second half. Borlase, Bond and Edwards played their roles well and I really liked Toby Murray’s ruck work. Unfortunately Gallagher hurt his hammy.

So……..
Out - Himmelberg. In - Thilthorpe. I can understand giving him another game in the Twos but I would play him.

Out - Cook. In - Taylor I would play Zac in the Murphy high half forward role.

Out - Murphy. In - Jones

Murphy to be sub
That’s putting Taylor in the hardest position on the ground. But I agree it’s the best option if he doesn’t have the fitness for a midfield role. He needs squirts in the midfield. Otherwise I feel he won’t see the ball.

Every single Aussie government can GAGF. Fund our healthcare! Include dental & mental health!

Need to afford it? IDC, maybe stop making submarines you smelly nerds!
Start making multinational and energy companies pay tax (looking at you Santos and Energy Australia) and we'll be able to afford submarines AND healthcare.

He may have had a couple of moments (that kick to Tex and a couple of marks) but overall had 8 touches and was beaten by a middle of the road ruckman. Might have finally found players with a couple of taps but also allowed Briggs to look like Simon Madden with his tap work at times.
Thanks for the interesting reply.
I've been a vocal critic of ROB; wanted him dropped several weeks ago, but the Strachan experiment was a huge fail. Richmond's Nankervis, then Grundy monstered him.
So, he was back for the GWS game. I watched him closely, fearful tbh. Previous ROB failures made me anxious. I was not expecting him to do much.
It's funny how you and I and others watched the same things happen, but with such different conclusions.
You thought he had "a couple of moments", I thought he had several.
You thought his 8 touches were not enough, nor effective enough; I thought his 2 kicks and 3 or 4 of the handballs to runners around him (Berry, Hinge) were very effective in context and set up good passages of play (2 kicks ==> 2 goals one direct to Tex) + 4 marks + 5 tackles, the latter two stats most unusual for him.

Also, ruckmen often nullify each other. It's hard for a Ruck to tap down a mids' throat. I remember the Greene goal at the start of the second quarter that was from a set play and a very good Briggs tap, just like the Rankine goal late in the first quarter.
Look where Rankine is, look where the tap goes (into space ahead of Rankine who runs onto it), great ruckwork, excellent goal:
1719963519427.png
Btw, look at Rankine's balance and speed after the tap; he left FOUR GWS players in his wake!!

I reckon ROB was given a rocket and got the message, but it's fine if we disagree.

I don't mind the Berg/TT ruck combo idea - although not this week, would want TT to have more games under his belt before he even gives a chop out in the ruck.
I agree about RT needing more games to get hardened, AFL match-fitness.
Is RT going to be our next Ruckman, or our next Tex/forward-ruck? He's huge these days and will probably get even stronger. He's mobile/agile/takes a good mark/ can kick goals --- is Nicks gonna turn him into the next Max Gawn? I'd like to know what RT wants for himself and his game.
ROB's GWS game and Strachan's physical weakness will ensure ROB is retained until year's end, barring injury, so I can't see Nicks trying the EH/RT experiment, but ... we'll see.
Berg is out the door end of season so not fussed if we destroy him over the last part of the season. At least have a look what a more mobile ruck set up would look like for the future.
I think this week Nicks will drop EH for RT. If not, then next week.
Days of the 8 possession ruckman should've been over years ago.
ROB's highly-regarded within the Club so it doesn't matter what we think.
Reviewing the GWS game, I think he was more instrumental in that 7-goal; second 1/4 run than you do.
I also reckon it was his best game for the season.
If he only kicks twice/game resulting in goals, great! I'd prefer that to his unco flub-kicks.

I just noticed 2 things. Have a look where ROB is here:
1719966222672.png

He's in the goal square just inside the photo frame in line with that Umpire way out back. The GWS bloke with the ball dummies, runs around Murphy and kicks out halfway between wing and the square.
ROB runs at least 40m across to the wing and marks that kick-out :oops: :thumbsu:, judging it really well in front of the pack, then handballs cleverly (I thought it was a kick, it's not) to Cook who kicks forward to Fogarty, goal.
Having said all that, my overall impression of ROB's season is disappointing. His kick to Tex amazed me, deadset. I wondered where he'd been hiding those.

Last edited:
You can’t just keep a shit coach because you might not get anyone better, in that world no one changes coaches, Collingwood sticks with Buckley and don’t get McRae.

I’ve just listed a bunch of errors and that’s just this year.

My interest in the Crows is to win a flag, I want them making decisions that helps with that. I’ve seen and enjoyed plenty of wins in the 26 years, don’t need more of meaningless minor round wins, I want a flag and making finals would be a good start. Winning games at the back end of a shit season which paper over the cracks don’t help achieve that. Each to their own though, you like meaningless wins, I don’t think that’s nuts, just as accepting losses hoping for change isn’t nuts.

I’ve never understood how people can genuinely believe that winning a couple of games late in the year has any influence on performance 7 months and a full preseason later.

I wouldn’t be averse to that but the fact is we just re-signed Nicks to two years. We aren’t likely to sack him now, therefore my preference would be to get good people in there (better than what we currently have) and add Balme to the mix (he seems keen).
Given the fact of his bewildering re-signing, the Club has no choice, OR the people who extended that contract with him would have to go as well. The Club painted themselves into a corner, by assuming Nicks would take us to Finals this year. 0-4 made a joke of that.
Nicks + better assistants + Balme is the only option left them, now. Not happy, Jen.
Personally, I’d like Buckley to be our coach. But that’s unlikely given we just re-signed Nicks.
I doubt Buckley would be interested in us. He'd take one look at the Club Admin, their acceptance of mediocrity and the list, then decline.
Also, he's ex-PA, ex-Collingwood and strikes me as a my-way-or-the-highway Coach, which the AFC Admin. would not want or accept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s putting Taylor in the hardest position on the ground. But I agree it’s the best option if he doesn’t have the fitness for a midfield role. He needs squirts in the midfield. Otherwise I feel he won’t see the ball.
One of Zac’s strengths is winning stoppages and bursting forward. This is also one of Murphy’s main attributes. Zac is also a good tackler and can provide pressure in our forward line. Longer term I would like us to play two “rovers” who share on ball time and rest in the forward pocket = Rankine and Taylor.

Thanks for the interesting reply.
I've been a vocal critic of ROB; wanted him dropped several weeks ago, but the Strachan experiment was a huge fail. Richmond's Nankervis, then Grundy monstered him.
So, he was back for the GWS game. I watched him closely, fearful tbh. Previous ROB failures made me anxious. I was not expecting him to do much.
It's funny how you and I and others watched the same things happen, but with such different conclusions.
You thought he had "a couple of moments", I thought he had several.
You thought his 8 touches were not enough, nor effective enough; I thought his 2 kicks and 3 or 4 of the handballs to runners around him (Berry, Hinge) were very effective in context and set up good passages of play (2 kicks ==> 2 goals one direct to Tex) + 4 marks + 5 tackles, the latter two stats most unusual for him.

Also, ruckmen often nullify each other. It's hard for a Ruck to tap down a mids' throat. I remember the Greene goal at the start of the second quarter that was from a set play and a very good Briggs tap, just like the Rankine goal late in the first quarter.
Look where Rankine is, look where the tap goes (into space ahead of Rankine who runs onto it), great ruckwork, excellent goal:
View attachment 2037301
Btw, look at Rankine's balance and speed after the tap; he left FOUR GWS players in his wake!!

I reckon ROB was given a rocket and got the message, but it's fine if we disagree.

I agree about RT needing more games to get hardened, AFL match-fitness.
Is RT going to be our next Ruckman, or our next Tex/forward-ruck? He's huge these days and will probably get even stronger. He's mobile/agile/takes a good mark/ can kick goals --- is Nicks gonna turn him into the next Max Gawn? I'd like to know what RT wants for himself and his game.
ROB's GWS game and Strachan's physical weakness will ensure ROB is retained until year's end, barring injury, so I can't see Nicks trying the EH/RT experiment, but ... we'll see.

I think this week Nicks will drop EH for RT. If not, then next week.

ROB's highly-regarded within the Club so it doesn't matter what we think.
Reviewing the GWS game, I think he was more instrumental in that 7-goal; second 1/4 run than you do.
I also reckon it was his best game for the season.
If he only kicks twice/game resulting in goals, great! I'd prefer that to his unco flub-kicks.

I just noticed 2 things. Have a look where ROB is here:
View attachment 2037322

He's in the goal square just inside the photo frame in line with that Umpire way out back. The GWS bloke with the ball dummies, runs around Murphy and kicks out halfway between wing and the square.
ROB runs at least 40m across to the wing and marks that kick-out :oops: :thumbsu:, judging it really well in front of the pack, then handballs cleverly (I thought it was a kick, it's not) to Cook who kicks forward to Fogarty, goal.
Having said all that, my overall impression of ROB's season is disappointing. His kick to Tex amazed me, deadset. I wondered where he'd been hiding those.
ROB and Rankine were the two key players in that 2nd quarter dominance. ROB with his taps to Rankine and strong marks on the wing, to Rankine just being involved in every score and GWS not getting near him.

IF we got that performance from ROB each and every week (or at least 3 in 4), then there would zero talk of his spot in the team.

For me
It's super exciting to see Adelaide win a game with the young guys standing up.

In Thilthorpe - out Himmelberg

In Jones - out Murphy

Adds a bit more class in.
Sounds good to me. I doubt Thilthorpe is ready to come back in though given that he only played limited game time. As soon as he is ready though, that is an obvious one.

Jones has been okay this season without being particularly good but he is still our best wingman at present. I actually think Murphy has been relatively good this season for the most part but he is still a fringe player and not much better than Cook or Dowling who I would prefer to see get a free pass.

I don't want to see Taylor as the sub again. He wasn't in the best 22 before this week and he didn't do anything on the weekend to change that so he goes back to the SANFL and Murphy as the sub.

You could take out private health cover, see an ophthalmologist now and book a cataract op in 12 months when your covered for pre- existing conditions
Yep, I've always had private (Mutual Community) when I lived in SA and let it lapse for about 12 months when we shifted to Queensland and lo and behold got diagnosed with a gallstone and needed surgery, I reckon I got put on the public call up list about 4 or 5 times only to have it cancelled several days out from the Hospital date (Ipswich), finally got it done and joined Bupa the next day. Been with them for over 20 years (Top Hospital Cover) now and getting pricier every year (currently $217 a month even with the Government rebate) but it's been money well spent ,i.e. 2 stents fitted after a heart attack, knee replacement, hip replacement, lumbar laminectomy etc. It's eyewatering the cost seeing the bills that Bupa payed on my behalf with minimal out of pocket costs. My optician told me at my last yearly check up I'm going to need a cararact op done at some point as well, it's also covered.

Yep, I've always had private (Mutual Community) when I lived in SA and let it lapse for about 12 months when we shifted to Queensland and lo and behold got diagnosed with a gallstone and needed surgery, I reckon I got put on the public call up list about 4 or 5 times only to have it cancelled several days out from the Hospital date (Ipswich), finally got it done and joined Bupa the next day. Been with them for over 20 years (Top Hospital Cover) now and getting pricier every year (currently $217 a month even with the Government rebate) but it's been money well spent ,i.e. 2 stents fitted after a heart attack, knee replacement, hip replacement, lumbar laminectomy etc. It's eyewatering the cost seeing the bills that Bupa payed on my behalf with minimal out of pocket costs. My optician told me at my last yearly check up I'm going to need a cararact op done at some point as well, it's also covered.
It’s one of those things, you don’t want to make use of it but gee it’s damn expensive ($550pm after rebate)

What are you rambling on about old fella?

Milne kicked 575 goals in his career (#45 all time). Cyril kicked 275 goals in 189 games.

Puopolo kicked 185 goals from 196 games. He wasn't in that side to kick goals.

No mention of Costagna, McReery, Close, Switkowski, Fogarty, Chandler?

Loving the personal insults, must have touched a nerve. Not bothering to go further because I don’t have to. It’s not just about goals, you’ve erroneously set that as the sole statistical value to support your flawed belief. The fact is that Puopolo got as much (more) ball than Milne, his job was first and foremost to be part of the attacking play and if that failed, to then defend hard. Just like everyone else you listed. Except the odd strategy where a forward has a set job on a defender, like Pedlar earlier this year.

Back