Preview R18: Changes vs. St. Kilda

Who do you think will replace Rankine in the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Figure with Nick's fighting for his life and clinging onto experience like Murphy clings onto his golden pass he'll go something like:

Out: Rankine (inj), Hinge (inj), Himmleberg, Taylor
In: Jones, McHenry, Tilthorpe, Schoenberg

What should happen (season cooked get games into next year's team - dont care about SANFL form):

Out: Rankine (inj), Hinge (inj), Smith, Murphy, Himmleburg
In: Taylor, Ryan, Curtin, Tilthorpe, Pedlar, Jones (Sub)

What a bizarre contortion of events. As soon as the head contact was confirmed it became a suspension. As soon as Starcevich was subbed out with concussion it became a 3 weeks plus suspension.

Starcevich had no idea Rankine was even there for crying out loud, and Rankine went out of his way to make contact knowing full well that Starcevich hadn’t seen him.

Did Rankine intend to clash heads? No. Does that matter? No.

It’s anywhere between 3 and 5 weeks. Bookmark it.
Surely not? That’s insane

TT is not ready yet. Curtin needs more time. Shoenberg and Pedlar were very average. Ned was doing his usual chicken act. Ryan is ready and should come in. Charlie Edwards a possibily too.
Out: Rankine susp. Hinge inj.
In: Ryan and Jones. Murphy to sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone recall a game where Rory Laird was a clear best on ground? That one stand out game people actually remember.

I just don't see the point in persevering with him, he should have been traded years ago when he had value, now he is a list clogger, a much better list clogger than the others in Jones, Ned Murphy etc but a list clogger nonetheless.

Will always do enough to justify his spot, his stats will always look good on paper, easy for Nicks and co to defend but at what cost to our future? We need to be ruthless, we are going nowhere with him, pull the ****ing bandaid off already.

We will always be a competitive side with Laird in the team for the most part but I am over being competitive, we need to set our sights higher than that.

Laird reflects Nicks' in my opinion, both currently more concerned about self preservation than ongoing team success, not great for culture in my opinion.

I think so, yes. In the AFL article you've linked there is footage, it shows Rankine seeing Starcevich coming, stopping, and then moving back in the direction of Starcevich. It certainly doesn't just look like bracing for impact to me.

Rankine has to be suspended, he is unlucky because his intent was not to concuss him but he choose to engage contact and got it wrong.

Some of the calls for 4+ weeks are ridiculous though.

Rankine has to be suspended, he is unlucky because his intent was not to concuss him but he choose to engage contact and got it wrong.

Some of the calls for 4+ weeks are ridiculous though.
Meanwhile they are trying to get golden boy Heeney off with just a fine.

Can anyone recall a game where Rory Laird was a clear best on ground? That one stand out game people actually remember.

I just don't see the point in persevering with him, he should have been traded years ago when he had value, now he is a list clogger, a much better list clogger than the others in Jones, Ned Murphy etc but a list clogger nonetheless.

Will always do enough to justify his spot, his stats will always look good on paper, easy for Nicks and co to defend but at what cost to our future? We need to be ruthless, we are going nowhere with him, pull the ****ing bandaid off already.

We will always be a competitive side with Laird in the team for the most part but I am over being competitive, we need to set our sights higher than that.

Laird reflects Nicks' in my opinion, both currently more concerned about self preservation than ongoing team success, not great for culture in my opinion.
Well he did get 3 Brownlow votes twice in 2023 and 20 votes all up?
Vs The Lions and Carltonwere his 2 B.O.G.

In what world is Starcevich not aware of Rankine being there? He is literally running at him 😂

Was also within 5 metres of the contest, so is that technically in play or off the ball?
Exactly, Rankine has way more speed and Starcevich was caught well behind him so the argument is whether Rankine stopped to turn and face play but then saw Starcevich and had to brace for contact.

Putting way too much mayo on it. He was following him.
Yep, Starcevich was following Rankine, and while Starcevich was looking back at the ball, Rankine stopped in his tracks without Starcevich being aware of this, and attempted to wind Starcevich with a bump when he knew Starcevich hadn’t seen him stop running. They clashed heads during said bump.

I know people don’t like the idea of this being 3+ weeks, but it absolutely will be, and there’s no grounds for appeal. Off the ball. Chose to bump. Head contact. Player concussed and unable to return. That’s high contact and high impact. You could argue it’s intentional too but our people will argue careless.

The only notable difference between this and the Luke Parker 6 week VFL suspension is the severity of the injury. For that reason, Rankine obviously gets less than 6. If anything, Rankine’s act was far less of a “football play” than Parker, who was laying a shepherd with the ball actually in the vicinity. Less than 3 weeks is pipe dream stuff.

People dont have to like the rules, but they probably should learn them.

Back