Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest thing for me in this game was a bunch of the kids all standing up in a tough, wet weather, dour game, especially in the middle against a bunch of mature bodies like Steele, Sinclair, Jones and Clark. Berry and Taylor were 1st and 2nd for clearances, Berry 2nd in tackles, Taylor 4th, Soligo 3rd for disposals, Taylor was equal 2nd for score involvements, Berry 3rd, they all just cracked in on a dirty night and did the work.

Even Sholl who i'd typically expect to struggle in that sort of environment was huge with how hard he worked and was generally clean in the conditions. Dowling, Nankervis all contributed and didn't look out of place and Bond in was very good defensively and allowed us more flexibility on letting Max follow Liam Henry around.
Scholl was good. Mopped up a few times with clean marks in the wet vacant halfback area. Looked very positive clean and measured. His own positioning ? or coaching directive ?

SLOWNE , I saw you disagreed, which is fine but I'm puzzled.
Here's why I don't rate him:
Brayden Cook 2024 stats:
12 games, 68 kicks (5.67/game), 40HB (3.33), 27 marks (2.25), score12.4 (1.03), tackles 18 (1.5), 1%x14, 7GA.
Last night 6K 6HB 2M 2T, which might be a pass but he didn't tear it up eg like Dowling.
Cook's possessions numbers in 2022 (8 games) were slightly better ie he's not getting any better.

Those (underwhelming) numbers are comparable to Murphy, who is derided in here.

Watching a game at home, when I hear Cook's name called, I'm surprised <== I actually forget that he's playing because he disappears for such long periods. I can't remember anything he's done that's made me think "Wow, this kid can play".
Like you, quite a few people do rate him eg Danger in Texas, but I would like to know why.
Serious and non-provocative question: what do you see in him that I don't, please?
Yep. Cook needs a high viz top………………

Good:
Soligo back in form means we look so much better,

Our entire 2021/22 drafts played Saturday night, we can't get first rounders right but we do 2-4 well, hats off to our development team in that regard.

Lairds most effective game this year, so much less dufus handballing and hacking the ball blindly in a game that its okay to do it in...

Nankervis and Taylor are such clean players, even in the wet.

Bad:
We get false hope from playing St Kilda at AO, they are hopeless here.

Ugly:
Were playing Essendon at Marvel this week, all the good feelings of some progress will turn to ash.
3 first round draft picks running around in the SANFL...
Yep. Laird can get the pill but just cannot impact the game.

Yep. Laird can get the pill but just cannot impact the game.
This week he had a big impact on the game. He has been bog average in the weeks leading up to this one, but was FAR better than previous weeks. One of our best this week.

This week he had a big impact on the game. He has been bog average in the weeks leading up to this one, but was FAR better than previous weeks. One of our best this week.
I think the issue recently has been having him be primarily inside around the contest. The pressure has him do rushed kicks that are really him at his worst. A moment's more time and space and he's back to being useful again.

Brayden Cook 2024 stats:
12 games, 68 kicks (5.67/game), 40HB (3.33), 27 marks (2.25), score12.4 (1.03), tackles 18 (1.5), 1%x14, 7GA.
Last night 6K 6HB 2M 2T, which might be a pass but he didn't tear it up eg like Dowling.
Cook's possessions numbers in 2022 (8 games) were slightly better ie he's not getting any better.

Watching a game at home, when I hear Cook's name called, I'm surprised <== I actually forget that he's playing because he disappears for such long periods. I can't remember anything he's done that's made me think "Wow, this kid can play".
Like you, quite a few people do rate him eg Danger in Texas, but I would like to know why.
Serious and non-provocative question: what do you see in him that I don't, please?
Cook > murphy in terms of skills and poise.

Murphy doesn't play to his strength often.... he did ok against the saints as he was front and centre on most contest and crumbing well. that is what murphy should be doing every game. i give credit where credit is due.

Cook is a classy player with good vision, foot skills and is well balanced. he is the cherry on top in a good team.
if you place Cook in for example, Swans, Cats or Magpies you might see better numbers and plays from him more consistently.

I just feel Cooks needs to get stronger in his core and legs and play with a bit more aggression which will bring him more into the game.

Cook > murphy in terms of skills and poise.

Murphy doesn't play to his strength often.... he did ok against the saints as he was front and centre on most contest and crumbing well. that is what murphy should be doing every game. i give credit where credit is due.

Cook is a classy player with good vision, foot skills and is well balanced. he is the cherry on top in a good team.
if you place Cook in for example, Swans, Cats or Magpies you might see better numbers and plays from him more consistently.

I just feel Cooks needs to get stronger in his core and legs and play with a bit more aggression which will bring him more into the game.
4th year in and even though he was a late starter at the usual junior talent pathway he really does need to start cementing his place in the best 22 very soon. To now he's very much been a tease.

4th year in and even though he was a late starter at the usual junior talent pathway he really does need to start cementing his place in the best 22 very soon. To now he's very much been a tease.
I totally agree
His talent and potential is there for all to see

next year is going to be a make or break for him.

Murphy.... is a good depth player and so definitely not best 22 and should only be playing if there is injuries.

i rate Murphy > McHenry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beyond Ugly: Inviting Brett Burton to Present Bonds Guernsey on Saturday Night. The work of our own M. Ricciuto.

What a ****ing disgrace.

Brayden Cook 2024 stats:

So he's already playing to the standard of a 100 gamer. That's pretty decent!

Joking of course, but the critical difference is that Cook has played 25 games and Murphy has played 109. If Cook is still putting up those numbers in 80 games time (or even 20-30) then we'll consider him a lost cause.

I don't think anyone is disputing that he needs to get involved more, but he's composed and has generally good disposal. Players like Tom Lynch weren't finding much of it at the same age either. Personally he's earned another 20 odd games to see if he can get more of it before writing him off completely, as he's a player you're generally happy to see disposing of the ball rather than covering your eyes. Absolutely agree though that he needs to get more of it, and personally I also often have the same realisation of "Oh there he is" when he pops up.

... because he is not smart enough to strategise different ideas nor does anyone else in our coaching box.
The lack of creativity and innovation from the management of any organisation is a terminal flaw.

"If you're not changing things to get ahead of the opposition, you're falling behind"

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back