AFL Toast Win Against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

We have no solid style. We are trying to build something which is why it is hard to figure out what it is. Our previous style has been flat track bully.
I could be wrong, but I felt like there was a solid style.

It seems we are moving to an aggressive, high press and relies on using the boundary line to set up when the ball goes out of play. So, if they move over the top of the high press, we need to block the corridor and make the opposition move to the boundary, make a contest and set up.

This also helps that our midfield is improving as we are winning more clearances.

That’s what I noticed, but I am sure others are smarter at this area than I am.

Definitely pleased with our defensive efforts after half time. Only three goals conceded and eight scoring shots for the half is a good result. I don’t recall too many times they cut through us in transition like they were doing in the first quarter.

As others have said our intercept game should only improve once Ridley and Reid return to the team. Also keen to get Roberts in at some stage who has looked impressive.

My biggest concern today (apart from some woeful skills at times) was Jye Menzie. Seven touches, one tackle and one behind doesn’t cut it for a small forward. Compare to Higgins who had 15 touches, five tackles and three goals.

Getting or unearthing a genuine small forward is priority one this year.
A quiet game for Gresham too.

I couldnt tell at the ground but did we put someone on NWM to take him out of the game or did saints just not use him as much as last week.
Bonner has been terrible 2 weeks in a row but hes still one of their most used guys coming out of the backline.
And yet the saints preferred to give it to Bonar.

Lol.

Menzie did a pretty good job shutting NWM down for chunks of the game, Bonner was their only real outlet a lot of the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw it on the match highlights certainly not malicious (like a nasty sling) and Duz grabbed the shoulder straight away - maybe a delayed and mild concussion.
Duz was subbed almost immediately with concussion not a shoulder, reports are his shoulder is ok

Okay. Have had a couple of looks at the replay now.

The Jake Stringer free for a push was bollocks. I have heard Razor Ray explain several times on SEN say that you can use your hands in a marking contest to protect the drop zone if the defender is backing into it. That is what Stringer did. It was not a push.

Saints only goal in the last quarter was also rubbish from the umpires. You can not blow the whistle twice and then call advantage when all our blokes stop and then Jack Steele runs almost 22 meters through the middle.

Yes they missed some goals and you could say we where a little lucky but missing goals is poor kicking and it was no different to us stuffing up several chances inside 50 with poor skills before we had a shot. Skill errors are skill errors. We ended up with 2 more inside 50's but worse efficiency.

This week showed the Moorabbin match sim was exactly that. A managed match sim and not a game.

I know a lot will line up with Kelly out but he has to be replaced with someone who can play the role. His offensive output may have been limited but his defensive running and work around the stoppage as the bloke going body on body was very good. His ability to play the more defensive role allowed Duursma a bit more freedom to attack more. If someone replaces him they have to have that defensive mindset.

Short sighted snap judgment. If Jones keeps up similar form or Caddy is good enough to make his way in then I am only playing two of Draper / Goldstein / Wright. I say this because we just looked way more mobile .

11 tackles inside 50.

Defensive press very good from midway through the second quarter.

Sadly for Gresham it just didn't bounce his way.

Our defensive issues are not always through lack of effort. Sometimes it is through too much effort and trying to get to contests we can not get to. There are other times when we just have moments where we ball watch for a couple of seconds which allows players to escape behind us.

Need to sharpen up the short one step kicks. There are no excuses for turnovers when there is no pressure. It is just lazy and a lack of concentration.

Big tick for Heppell. Only a couple of mistakes and plenty of big saves for us.

Big tick for the side staying with a team that is known for its running over the whole game and we used 9 less interchanges.

I know most want Martin on the wing but I am glad they are trying something different to try and get the drive from half back. May not be the long term answer but we need to look at this stuff. So what if he had a lot of possessions that had limited impact. Fact is if he has 30 plus he is still going to have a lot that do.

Nick Cox is coming along okay. There are a lot less moments when you think he should have gone harder there. Still lacks the strength to body the stronger guys but is playing better footy when he can have long stints in defense .

Midfield had a battle early but ended up well on top.

Nothing better than being at a game when you run them down and hold in in a close finish.:)

I watched the replay last night ... wasn't my partner rapt with that!!

Anyhow, at the game I was ground level near the wing and the amount of times that St Kilda were outnumbering us at one contest and then the next was making me very angry. However, the replay didn't look that way. The TV view made us look a lot better.

Regards defensive running on the wing, I would move Durham out to play that role and put Martin on the ball when Reid and Ridley are back.

You might be right about the talls. However, what I liked about Jones game yesterday was that he clunked a few inside 50 AND marked some outlet kicks on the back flank. It makes me think that if he and Wright can get some synergy, they'll work well together. Neither of them can be THE CHF or FF, but rotate between deep and high. If we were to only play one of the rucks when they're playing then one of them will have to give the ruckman a chop out. I think that having both rucks and both of them in the side means that the ruck plays deep and they both push up. Our forward defence is based upon a frontal press.

I think we can but no 2nd ruck.

Jones was well up the ground at times and he took a few crucial marks, something we have been sorely missing. So if he can play up the ground and hold marks it will make us a 100% better side.
Yeah this was really noticeable. His movement from forward to defence to help out was outstanding.

The one worry for me is Kelly. He just got caught out too many times particularly on the turnovers. Not sure if it was his set role to play so far off him man or what but….wasnt great

Yeah this was really noticeable. His movement from forward to defence to help out was outstanding.

The one worry for me is Kelly. He just got caught out too many times particularly on the turnovers. Not sure if it was his set role to play so far off him man or what but….wasnt great
I like Kelly but he needs to move the ball on faster IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back