AFL Toast Win Against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

There is something strange about the atmosphere at marvel vs the G. The G feels more natural to yell and scream at, and feels like the crowd erupting on every decision, Marvel always feels more sedate like being in someone's loungeroom.
its a rubbish stadium
uncomfortable, squeezy and dull.

AFL is a high anxiety game.

I think this is the main thing, along with cultural differences.

I watch a lot of soccer and even the noisiest stadiums stop chanting when there is a big tackle or someone is charging down a wing or through on goal. Aussie Rules has more of those moments with less time in between so it's really hard to get something going organically during play.

Also most chanting in soccer is from the away support, which is generally full of youngish men who have been drinking for hours on the way there.

There should be more of it in the breaks after goals though. That's the time for the cheer squad to step up but to be fair to them the bays around them hardly join in when they try anyway.

I think this is the main thing, along with cultural differences.

I watch a lot of soccer and even the noisiest stadiums stop chanting when there is a big tackle or someone is charging down a wing or through on goal. Aussie Rules has more of those moments with less time in between so it's really hard to get something going organically during play.

Also most chanting in soccer is from the away support, which is generally full of youngish men who have been drinking for hours on the way there.

There should be more of it in the breaks after goals though. That's the time for the cheer squad to step up but to be fair to them the bays around them hardly join in when they try anyway.
its a longer game/day too
chanting for 4 qtrs + the breaks.

though im not very vocal at all (ever) so it's also quite a foreign thing to me.

You know I don’t remember ever doing this before and I think maybe it’s seeped into my subconscious vernacular. Now I feel like a doofus for doing it. Thanks a lot Sir Lance… a lot…
Haha all good - it’s just my pet hate, just ask my kids lol

There is something strange about the atmosphere at marvel vs the G. The G feels more natural to yell and scream at, and feels like the crowd erupting on every decision, Marvel always feels more sedate like being in someone's loungeroom.

Agree 90% - the first half especially was like a funeral home.
However, when the game gets hot - like it did in the last quarter when we were coming, the atmosphere was great.

I reckon the Essendon crowds are still a sleeping giant.
We have been put to bed over years of incompetence. It will take time and consistent effort (and more time) to rouse.
Remember what Terry Wallace said in the 1984 GF doco where the crowd was deafening as the Bombers surged in that final quarter.
I loved that.

I think we are too scared to go big now because the whole thing is likely to come apart at the seams, because Essendon.
Well said. I wear the colours but am not vocal at all anymore.. except for when the swans boo’d Wright lol

I love Marvel. I am old and soft and do not like getting wet or sunburnt. Also easy to catch the train home to the North :cool:

I love Marvel. I am old and soft and do not like getting wet or sunburnt. Also easy to catch the train home to the North :cool:
do the trains now run from Nth Melb to Sthn Cross?
used to bother me they didn't so i stopped training in

Also, cold and wet at the G "IS" footy :p (i hate summer and anything like it, so sub 10 degree weather is fine by me)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Toast Win Against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back