Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the Port flogs coming in here telling us about how we'd cheer their players if they were injured. Except, we didnt. Did anyone cheer on here when Jones was injured? No.
Houston and your fans highlighted why your club is universally hated throughout the AFL tonight - you have no class or knowledge of football. Tonight was (another) stain on your club's reputation. Keep being smug about injuring players, Houston won't play again this year (and possibly ever for your club again), you'll get what you deserve

while obviously what houston did was unnecessary and he'll cop his whack, if keane just takes the ****ing mark instead of double fisting for no reason it never happens.

also people melting over rachele during the week, ****ing hell. it's a joke. it's a laugh. like chardonnay and apricot slice. people whine about a lack of personality in sport and then go mental as soon as someone says or does something.

Ugly
Houston - may get more than 4 weeks for that. What’s the maximum you can get for lining someone up and knocking them out when they are completely unprotected?

He was contesting the footy, just a little late - let's not hang the bloke.

Rankine got 4 for a similar thing, remember.

As for the game - at least we lost, otherwise - who gives a shit.

Imagine Sam Mitchell or Adam Kingsley.

Nope, Matthew Nicks.

I'm picturing a rousing powerpoint presentation about KPIs, core values, and plans for the future, with a moderated Q&A session at the end, all recorded to teams for those who couldn't attend.

And yet remains un-signed for next season.

Pretty sure Bond is in the position of getting whatever money is left after trade week is over, and will be left floating with a promise until then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port pressure and tackling too good tonight. We just lacked time and space and got exposed.

Port are getting by on a good midfield and good tackling pressure. Rubbish forward line.

As for us, gotta wonder why our tall forwards struggled so much. Soligo was taught a lesson.

We get a higher draft pick than saints~

while obviously what houston did was unnecessary and he'll cop his whack, if keane just takes the ****ing mark instead of double fisting for no reason it never happens.
I understand you're trying to calm things down a bit, but time-travel/sliding-door logic never works eg we could just as easily say if Houston was involved in a car accident on the way to the game, he wouldn't have been playing etc etc.
Keane is not a natural Aussie Rules footballer. I remember ex-basketballer Josh Jenkins resorting to basketballer reactions under pressure --- in tight, he'd sometimes resort to "guarding" a player (legs wide, arms waving) instead of tackling him. He also had no sense of the game/positioning etc of players behind him, because in basketball, nothing happens behind you(think about it).
Keane reacted like a defender who's been trained to punch; his response was to punch, not mark, and he still doesn't yet have the best idea about where to punch to. Marking is not his go-to action.
So, Keane did what he did without intending to set Rankine up.
I don't know what Houston was thinking, but it's clear he lined him up (easy target, eyes on the ball) and he went in hard for the shirtfront --- but the rules are different now --- if you choose to bump and not tackle and the bloke is knocked out/concussed, 4 games minimum (just like what Rankine copped, 4 weeks). He might get 5 or even 6.
I don't doubt he wanted to flatten Rankine and take the sting out of our best player, but did he intend to KO him and concuss him? We'll never know.

The most important thing is for us all to hope that Rankine is not seriously injured with long-term effects (like Brayshaw who had to retire after being flattened by Maynard and fwiw I think that Maynard is a grub) and that Houston's ill-considered , cheap snipe does not just deprive us, but the whole footy world, of Rankine's genius. It would be a tragedy if Rankine had to retire.
Let's hope not.
also people melting over rachele during the week, ****ing hell. it's a joke. it's a laugh. like chardonnay and apricot slice.
This makes more sense.
Rachele's shot was a jibe, even if ill-considered, just like the apricot slice-and-chardonnay jokes, but it looks like their supporters took it seriously, and personally. They need to lighten up.
Rachele stirring up the crowd during the game made the PA ferals even feral-er
people whine about a lack of personality in sport and then go mental as soon as someone says or does something.
I like players with flair, dash, character/personality and a bit of cheeky larrikin.
I remember when McMurphy used to run in, all huff-n-puff, and throw his (rather puny) weight around, usually in a dead-ball situation. I didn't like it. He hadn't earned his stripes and needed to have real game impact before anyone could take him seriously. Opposition players thought McMurphy's faux-tough bravado was laughable.
Rachele's "toothless" joke and actions might have been better timed, say, after a win; but PA supporters were pissed off, more than they needed to be. That's on them.
I'd like to see Rachele play better, harder, and leave the insults in the locker room just in case it riles the opposition so much that they become even more determined to roll us.
But his goal celebrations which reflect his love of the game and cheeky spirit? More, please.

No comment from the club about Izak's condition which is a bit worrying. I know it was a night game but usually there's some sort of update to let fans know the player is okay

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back