Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

And if the roles were completely reversed on Saturday night posters would all be in here saying how great our tactics were.

Look, I get it, we all hate Port’s guts, but if you want to be angry, be angry at the club that allows itself to be completely manhandled like the Crows were on Saturday night.

Houston is going to pay the price, but everything other than that falls under the category of brilliant tactics by Port.

I’m f*cking jealous, not angry.
So you would have cheer us KO arguably their best player like they did and then try to defend it post game?? The game completely changed after that hit, I thought we went overboard with the physicality and loss the plot after the incident.

Hey Pete!
Why don't you just slip up the Port road and sign up. Don't let jealousy ruin your day. Embrace the rage by dashing the cause against the rocks of outer harbour. Then, slip into the Alberton for a drink to your new found clarity of mind.

You might even get to watch a home final among friends and like minded, yet toothless, intellectuals like yourself.

But in short...if you dislike our club so much and find so much wrong, perhaps there's a club you would prefer to be a member.

"Brilliant tactics by Port", Slippery Pete, 2024

“Absolutely brilliant”.

It sucks, actually. I suppose you loved it when Sam Mitchell went around kneeing players to deliberately give them corkies.

Sniping and hurting people for competitive advantage is not a sign of toughness, it shows someone who is, frankly, an arseh*le, the kind of person you wouldn’t want in your family.

^^Honestly, reading posts like this, it surely must begin to dawn on Crows supporters that you really do get the club you deserve.

Next year will mark the eighth season since the AFC has been in contention.

Eight years of being out and out losers. Approaching 30 years without silverware.

But at least we have our “morals” right! Other clubs must be quaking in their boots!

Squishy jellyfish like you two represent a significant portion of the club’s supporter base who just continue to eat up the shit this club sells, no questions asked.

Looked like Hinge played a bit of time on the wing on the weekend. I would like him to play that role but he seems to struggle in it / be else effective than he is at half back. We are desperate for an elite winger, would be great to see someone play that role and lace out our key forwards. Would be great if Hinge / Dawson could alternate depending on what the game needed but we need more depth to our mid before we can contemplate that

I thought Hinge was really poor. Not sure if the intensity of the game got to him but he was no good when he had the ball and Burgoyne got the better off him.

He is a best 22 player but at 26, I don't think he is the player many hope he will be.

^^Honestly, reading posts like this, it surely must begin to dawn on Crows supporters that you really do get the club you deserve.

Eight years of being out and out losers. Approaching 30 years without silverware.

But at least we have our “morals” right! Other clubs must be quaking in their boots!

Squishy jellyfish like you two represent a significant portion of the club’s supporter base that just eats up the shit this club sells and asks for seconds.
Just trying to clear this up. People who hate snipers and thugs “deserve” to lose, and people like you - who think they are “absolutely brilliant” - deserve to win?

Are you sure Rach wasn’t talking about you?

Just trying to clear this up. People who hate snipers and thugs “deserve” to lose, and people like you - who think they are “absolutely brilliant” - deserve to win?

Are you sure Rach wasn’t talking about you?

I don’t like snipers and thugs, I like winners.

You can bitch about Houston and Port’s tactics all you want — Port are going to the finals, a place the Crows haven’t been for seven f*cking seasons.

Wake up.

I think the difference, in the AFL's eyes, is the proximity of each incident to the ball.

Rankine is the ball carrier when Houston makes contact with him. Houston is permitted to bump him provided he doesn't make high contact. As a few other posters have pointed out, this is consistent with how the AFL has graded other incidents - even Jimmy Webster's bump on Jy Simpkin (which was good for a 7-week holiday) was graded "careless" because the AFL did not believe they could successfully argue that Webster intended to make high contact vs intended to legally bump and accidentally made high contact.

When Rankine bumped Starcevich, they were ~15m away from the ball, and Starcevich was moving away from the contest. Starcevich isn't the ball carrier and they're too far away from the contest for Rankine to plausibly argue that the contact he made is permissible under the rules that govern shepherding. My guess is that rough conduct in a situation where the rules do not permit a player to make any forceful contact is why it was graded "intentional".

For what it's worth, I think it's a stupid interpretation - a consequence of the AFL clinging to the bump as part of the "fabric of the game" instead of allowing it to be removed from the game in order to better protect players from head and brain injury.
Proximity to the ball is irrelevant

Squishy jellyfish like you two represent a significant portion of the club’s supporter base who just continue to eat up the shit this club sells, no questions asked.
Don’t forget about giving fair value in trades.

The way it gets applied is any "in play" incident is graded careless. Off the play incidents are intentional.

Jimmy Websters was more intentional than both, yet it was also graded careless, as it was deemed "in play"
That may be the way Christian is interpreting it, but it's certainly not the way the rules are written.

There is no mention of "in play" or being on/off the ball in the definitions of intentional & careless conduct.

“Absolutely brilliant”.

It sucks, actually. I suppose you loved it when Sam Mitchell went around kneeing players to deliberately give them corkies.

Sniping and hurting people for competitive advantage is not a sign of toughness, it shows someone who is, frankly, an arseh*le, the kind of person you wouldn’t want in your family.
Did we try to rattle JHF? Like rankine he’s struggled with attention. If we didnt, why not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if the roles were completely reversed on Saturday night posters would all be in here saying how great our tactics were.

Look, I get it, we all hate Port’s guts, but if you want to be angry, be angry at the club that allows itself to be completely manhandled like the Crows were on Saturday night.

Houston is going to pay the price, but everything other than that falls under the category of brilliant tactics by Port.

I’m f*cking jealous, not angry.

To be honest, after the Rankine hit I felt like we did actually put a line in the sand. Houston came off for about 10 minutes as I think Hinkley was aware he might get lined up himself.

To be honest, after the Rankine hit I felt like we did actually put a line in the sand. Houston came off for about 10 minutes as I think Hinkley was aware he might get lined up himself.

Yeah, I’m not saying they didn’t fly the flag, the team just didn’t have any proactive tactics of its own.

Everything was just a reaction to Port’s scheming ways.

Interesting no one has mentioned how earlier this year another one of their thugs took out a player of ours.
When PIG (SPP) took out Keane early in the preseason Showdown.
It was mentioned by another poster early in this thread. I've forgotten who it was, sorry (anybody remember, please?).
This is a pattern of behaviour for them.
In fact, he listed that incident and others (by PA), showing it is a PA pattern and no coincidence.
They will continue to do this, till the AFL send a message.
The AFL have had years to send a message to Clubs that do/did it; they have failed, totally.

Here's an idea: how about fining a Club (a big fine, 100K or more, a massive disincentive) when one of their players gets at least 4 matches for a Houston- or Peppapig-style hit? That'd include Rankine this year.
Just a hypothetical/speculating ... :think:.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back