Preview R6: St Kilda v Western Bulldogs - Saturday 9th @2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the Suns game... Saad accumulated the ball a lot and did a few good things, but I wouldn't say he had similar impact to Lonie against the Dons. If we won yesterday, Lonie would have gotten the nomination in my opinion. It always helps when you win. Lonie will definitely get one in the next couple of weeks. Really think he could win it this year. Kid is such a gem. Already proving to be a really good player.

They love large numbers on the selection panel. If you have 30 disposals and none hit a target they would still give you the nod. You seem to need to rack up stats more than play outstanding football.

Can someone tell me why it is so popular to bash Montagna?

Also for what it is worth, it would be great to play Riewoldt on a wing and have him rest forward.

He admitted he was struggling with motivation since we are down and out. I reckon he could just reignite the passion with a game like Sunday's. I hope he comes in an we really take it up to the dogs. He deserves a bit of the share of the good times soon. He has stuck by the team and should be applauded. He played out last season on a fractured leg.

Does anyone else think it mite not be a bad idea to debut Hugh this week and play him on Boyd. We really don't have anyone tall enough to compete with him in the air. We seem to always play a forward into form as well and we also have to worry about crameri. I know he needs more time, but I wouldn't mind seeing it and I think the height match up on a guy like Boyd shouldn't be underestimated.

Does anyone else think it mite not be a bad idea to debut Hugh this week and play him on Boyd. We really don't have anyone tall enough to compete with him in the air. We seem to always play a forward into form as well and we also have to worry about crameri. I know he needs more time, but I wouldn't mind seeing it and I think the height match up on a guy like Boyd shouldn't be underestimated.
Delaney just smashed 201cm Daniher for three quarters then 200cm Carlisle in the last quarter.

I think he can handle Boyd.

He doesn't look that damaging yet. We managed to get Daniher put to bed early despite him having to duck down to change a light bulb.

Carlton and Collingwood both smashed us on the fast break from a turn over...

This will either be a 40 goal shoot out OR we will get blown away late. Really hope we can fight it out though.

Saad & Lonie are apples and oranges...but Saad was very good for the Suns on the weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me he had 20 running bounces...he provided some serious drive out of defence.

Stringer is an awkward match up for us, and has a history of grabbing our defense by the neck. Maybe Wright to come back in and play tight on Stringer? Montagna in for Savage only if he is injured, otherwise Acres slides. Roo in for (wait for it)...Longer. Hickey vs Cordy is a fair matchup, and provides better balance against a team that prides itself on it's spread. Geary to play forward and do a job on Murphy. Weller shuts down Macrae. Newnes to have one eye on Johanissen, who is such a beautiful rebounding kick! MacKenzie to Rumple-Belli fresh off his demolition of Stanton!?

What am I thinking...? Lucky I'm not on match committee...I'd have a nervous breakdown.

Whatever happens, Montagna and Roo better be physically right to come in and run all day. The fans will be expecting nothing less than last weeks effort!

Last edited:
Forward, I'd structure up like this:

HF: Membrey Riewoldt Billings
F: Hickey Bruce Lonie

Nick to push up high (roaming) & allow space for Hickey & Bruce.

Talia (Bruce), Roberts (Riewoldt) & Roughead (Hickey) are their talls, which would leave Membrey to be opposed by Lukas Webb or Robert Murphy. TBH, I wouldnt mind that.... :)
In that situation I imagine Wood would go to Membrey.

Billings was very good as the link man to our mids against the Dons and so I would expect that to be his role again this week, rather than cooling his heels asa lead up Forward Pocketr.

Billings used the ball very well in that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't wait for this game...if both teams bring the effort levels they did from last week there will be more tackles than a State of Origin league match! I think the Bulldogs have been the beneficiary of being slightly underestimated by their opposition. Until now. I am sure the Saints are gearing up mentally for the clash of two emerging teams, albeit one has a few more runs on the board. None of Essendon, Saints, Dogs and Swans cracked on the weekend. They all played manfully to the very end, although only two teams walked away with premiership points. It will be very interesting to see who shows signs of cracking first in this one...if at all?

Can basically absolute lock in Joey and Roo to play going by Richos presser.

Also mentioned how Hickey couldn't have done much more Sunday and also liking Membrey despite how he hasn't hit the score board a lot yet. Happy with his field kicking

Surely we couldn't drop Roberton - I think he's just starting to 'come along'. Agree on Savage though.

I personally would not, I personally would not have Joey an auto inclusion either, Rooey yes, Joey no.

The club however, I feel will auto include Joey at the expense of Newnes in the midfield, and he will then get shoved to a HBF in Savages role, and the club would have liked to have fully blooded one of Acres or Dmac this week because, likely they will expect fatigue and a running game to need one and newbies generally get 2 games minimum unless they're quite poor. This leaves either Robbo or Dempster as that taller defender who can drift to HB and impact the mids and the club will then opt to have Rooey lead up and drop Robbo's lead up from HBF, leaving it instead to Webster, Newnes and Dempster with efforts from Geary and Chips.

Saint fans get on the doggies page and get invovled in the banter post. Say what you want and you wont get banned.

FB: Sean Dempster, Luke Delaney, Jarryn Geary
HB: Jimmy Webster, Sam Fisher, Jack Newnes
C: Leigh Montagna, David Armitage, Jack Billings
HF: Jack Sinclair, Nick Riewoldt, Tim Membrey
FF: Jack Lonie, Josh Bruce, Tom Hickey
R: Billy Longer, Luke Dunstan, Jack Steven
INT: Blake Acres, Adam Schneider, Dylan Roberton, Maverick Weller
EMG: Dan McKenzie, Eli Templeton, Darren Minchington

IN: Roo, Joey
OUT: McKenzie (unlucky), Savage (Hamstring if it is serious or whatever. If not well not sure who else out!)

I'd go something like that personally. That forward line can work mainly due to Roo usually playing more up the ground.

I like Hickey in because he can head into the ruck which allows Bruce to stay down forward for basically the whole game.

I cant see how 3.5 tall fwds will work against a team that have been exceptionaly good at rebound 50s and base their game on run and spread.
Although i see the attraction of having hickey as a chop out ruck.. If Roo comes back one of the tall fwds gotta go out IMO..
Joey in for Savage or Sinclair.
Roo will get most of his kicks upfield anyway essentialy he plays as ruck rover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back